HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Fountain Pen recommendation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

So I'm thinking about getting a nice fountain pen for myself. I've been using a Lamy Safari for about a year and a half now with no complaints. I really just want something that feels a little more solid, a flawless performer, and with a classy look to it. I can't afford a Montblanc, but I do own a Waterman Hemisphere I like, but the nib size is too big.

Anyway, my budget is around $100 or so. Any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Kick the budget up 40-50 and buy a used Sailor 1911 full sized ... or a mid sized new.

Sailor 1911 (fullsize, before there was a fullsize) Black, Rhodium Trim, 21k gold (rhodium plated ) XF nib

didn't notice the dust til it was posted... lol.. I don't use it much due to work. Noway is it going into a truck.

Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks, PB. $150 is definitely reasonable. I've spent more on pipes. I'll check them out.

Any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm

A smaller pen but just as much character.

The Schaeffer Snorkel. Make sure to buy it in restored condition.. self restore on these are a bitch.

Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:27 pm

For a nice inexpensive pen, look at HISNIBS. His pens are inexpensive, but he hand calibrates each nib to make sure they work well. I bought the Black Dreadnaught from him and use it all the time. I've never had a problem with it. This particular pen is a copy of the infamous Mont Blanc. It's a hefty solid pen.

Here are a few pics:

This one shows the MB it was copied after:

Plus, it has a syringe method which can also be converted to cartridge. I personally like the syringe approach.

Oh, and he's extremely nice to work with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:36 pm

You mean converter fill..

Anyway.. I disagree., Other than the Stipula, Monteverde, and Conklins he has little worth looking at in the catagory Ocelot is looking into.

I'm not saying his cheap pens aren't worth having, I have quite a few Chinese pens.. But the OP didn't ask for a cheap pen.

glpease
Dark Lord

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:10 pm

The Lamy Safari should get some sort of award. It's tied, in my book, with the Waterman Phileas as being the best bang for the buck in the fountain pen world. Amazing quality for the price. It's a really good pen, but not a great one.

I'll echo PB's first suggestion. The Sailor 1911 is a superb writer. As far as I can tell, no one offers smoother nibs out of the box than Sailor. They're very well constructed with good feeds, excellent inner caps, and decent converters. I've got both a full-size and the mid-size, and they're both simply stellar pens.

I'm very partial to Pelikans, and have quite a few of them, both modern and antique. They're spendy, but you can often find really good used ones, sometimes fully restored, sometimes in just excellent original condition. Older ones have cork pistons, and these sometimes get dry and brittle, requiring replacement, but newer ones are durable rubber. The Pelikans are not quite as smooth, stock, as the Sailors, but they generally have just the right feel and ink flow to suit me. I actually like a bit of tooth in the nibs. But, what really makes them my first choice when I grab a pen is the piston fillers. They hold a good supply of ink, especially the larger ones. Additionally, their inner cap is superb. I can leave one of my Pelikans sitting for months, pick it up, and start writing with it instantly. The Sailors are almost as good.

The Souverain series is available in several sizes, from the diminutive 300 series to the massive (and expensive) 1000. The nibs are interchangeable, and there are a couple of guys who can suppl you with customisation to turn it into your dream pen. I like John Mottishaw (nibs.com), but Richard Binder is also highly regarded for his nib work.

If you buy any pen from nibs.com, John will set the feed according to your preference, which is nice. You can also look through the various brands he has on offer. He's a picky guy, and has been in the pen repair end of things long enough to know what's good and what's not.

I've had a lot of cheap Chinese pens. Some of them write very well, some of them have been dreadful. I've done mods on some of them to improve them, and they've actually ended up being very good writers. But, the absolutely worst thing about every one of them (I've had about a dozen different ones) is that their inner cap is useless, and the nibs dry out in a matter of days. As an experiment, in fact, I filled one, capped it, and let it sit for a couple weeks. Nearly all the ink in the converter had evaporated, and it took a thorough cleaning to get the thing to write again. Cheap, but not recommended unless you just like to play with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 pm

puros_bran wrote:
You mean converter fill..

Anyway.. I disagree., Other than the Stipula, Monteverde, and Conklins he has little worth looking at in the catagory Ocelot is looking into.

I'm not saying his cheap pens aren't worth having, I have quite a few Chinese pens.. But the OP didn't ask for a cheap pen.

I agree with you disagreeing with me. Very Happy There's no substitute for a nice pen, and that's what Jesse was asking for. I've used Pelikan and Mont Blancs, and they write nice and feel like quality. I know Jesse a bit and was trying to offer him an alternative to spending more, in case he was so inclined. I've been so thoroughly happy with how my pen writes, that I just wanted to throw it out there. It definitely has a cheaper feel, but it writes like a champ.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys. A Pelikan would be awesome, but I can't justify spending that much on a pen. Every time I try to buy used I get burned so I think they are out.

Sounds like the Sailor 1911 is a real winner. (I guess I could get one to match my Springfield 1911 )

Thanks for the link, Brian. I think it is incredible that he adjusts all the nibs before sending them out. Where do you find that kind of customer service these days? Too bad he doesn't carry the Sailor.
Back to top Go down
glpease
Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses guys. A Pelikan would be awesome, but I can't justify spending that much on a pen. Every time I try to buy used I get burned so I think they are out.

Sounds like the Sailor 1911 is a real winner. (I guess I could get one to match my Springfield 1911 )

Thanks for the link, Brian. I think it is incredible that he adjusts all the nibs before sending them out. Where do you find that kind of customer service these days? Too bad he doesn't carry the Sailor.

As I mentioned, John Mottishaw also adjusts the pens he sells for your personal style, and carries the Sailors.

http://www.nibs.com/Sailor1911MidSizeSeries.html

He's also an excellent source for used stuff, because he goes through them thoroughly. I know what you mean about getting burned, but the more reputable pen guys deserve the reputations they've earned.
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Perfect! Thanks, Greg.

BTW, its good to see you show up from time to time. I think it's been a while since I saw you post last. Only when you're needed of course...like some kind of wizard...ninja...tobacco blender.
Back to top Go down
glpease
Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:16 am

Ocelot55 wrote:
Perfect! Thanks, Greg.

BTW, its good to see you show up from time to time. I think it's been a while since I saw you post last. Only when you're needed of course...like some kind of wizard...ninja...tobacco blender.

I'm Batman…
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:05 am

...or just batty... Very Happy cheers

Until I spend a good three years improving my handwriting, I'm sticking with old typewriters for my throwback methods unto the written word.

Speaking of which, do any of you write script or have any intent to learn? I know a few fountainophiles who either have or plan on this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 am

I've fiddled around with quite a few fonts. I was never able to write very good with the Palmer method I was taught in school. I'd like to get more into italics.
Back to top Go down
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 am

Parker makes a solid pen well within your rice range.

Parker Sonnet Red Lacquer GT Fountain Pen.. $99
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 pm

I write in chicken scratch... but I do it in style! Razz

Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:

I've never had any luck with Parker products. Granted, most of the Parker pens I've used were lower grade. The experience has colored me negatively against the brand. Too bad too. It would be cool to match a Parker fountain pen with my older Parker pipes!

This Parker did make me look twice, though:

Back to top Go down
glpease
Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:

The Sonnet is a sweet pen, for sure, with a nice, somewhat flexible nib. But, it's got that inner cap issue. Since I don't tend to use the same pen every day, it's important to me that it not dry out between uses. My Sonnet does not fall into that category.

(Yes. I'm slightly insane. When I had a real job, and disposable income, I bought a mess-o-pens, some new, some vintage, and enjoy them all. Pens are as bad as pipes, only people don't screw up their faces and do that obnoxious false-coughing dance of the hands when you use them.)

When you start getting into vintage stuff, you're really in trouble. You could have a whole collection, for instance, of the variants on the Eversharp Skyline, or the Shaeffer Tuckaway,.

And, then there's ink. Just like tobacco. I have my faves, but every time a new colour appears that I like, I have to have it. I hear Diamine is coming out with a set of 12 based on Composers. Saving my pocket change…

I wish you luck.
Back to top Go down
serif365

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:02 pm

I collect pipes, tobacco, fountain pens and ink. I have pens priced between $5 and $600. I have seen an SD Dupont fp auctioned off for $25K (missed that one Smile) I have practiced calligraphy since I was a kid and I love the way a good pen writes. I also often ponder the difference between a collector and a hoarder. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
serif365

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Brother Pease!!! It's great to know that such an illustrious blender of fine tobacco is also a collector of finer writing instruments. I have many Sonnets in my collection and my favorites are the Cisele's. Those 18K nibs feel like soft butter on the page and this pen seems to float along.

You mentioned the cap issue, have you tried a Pilot Vanishing Point fountain pen. They've come up with an ingenious way of devising a capless fountain pen where then nib does not dry out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
serif365

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...or just batty... Very Happy cheers

Until I spend a good three years improving my handwriting, I'm sticking with old typewriters for my throwback methods unto the written word.

Speaking of which, do any of you write script or have any intent to learn? I know a few fountainophiles who either have or plan on this.

Kyle, I'm not sure what you mean by script. If you mean formal handwriting/long hand, I spent the last five years re-learning how to write in this fashion (I had printed most of my life since about the 8th grade). I also filled 12+ journals recording every thing from everyday diatribe to some pretty heavy stuff that I wanted to preserve. I'm fascinated with all things dealing with the written word from the early history of calligraphy to modern calligraphic works and formal handwriting. I hope some day after I retire to travel to Dublin to see the Book of Kells, one of the best and oldest illuminated texts of the four gospels.

By the way, I still have my old Royal Globetrotter and it types a nice letter.

I'm fairly satisfied with my writing style but youngsters have difficulty reading what I write. They say, "Mr. Sanders, you have really nice handwriting. What does it say?" geek

Twain said there are three secrets to being a good writer... WRITE, WRITE, and WRITE. Smile The same logic holds true for improving your handwriting. Three years doesn't seem overly long to me. When you get to the point of being able to turn out several written pages without your hand drawing up into a spastic knot, you'll know your practice is paying off. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Opinions on the Montaverde Invincia?

I'm digging this one, plus it can be fitted with a stub nib for italics.

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:16 pm

"Script" has come to mean many things, but I stick with the definition of it being any formal handwriting, cursive being the most prominent (and one likely learned, to lesser or greater degree, in school for some).

I have never been able to write by hand fast (and legibly) enough to keep up with my thought process. The QWERTY system works well. Too bad I'd likely be able to go even faster if I would learn Dvorak or Colemark layouts. Laughing

Too late for that now.

Fountain pens win on a consistency level...and well, yeah, they look super-cool.

PB, what's that case you're using for your pens, the zip-up one that looks like its for pistol magazines? I may have to pick one up as a gift for a fountain pen obsessed friend.

Or anyone else that has cool pen case ideas...that don't cost a billion clams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bullwinkle

Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 pm

glpease wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

The Sonnet is a sweet pen, for sure, with a nice, somewhat flexible nib. But, it's got that inner cap issue. Since I don't tend to use the same pen every day, it's important to me that it not dry out between uses. My Sonnet does not fall into that category.

(Yes. I'm slightly insane. When I had a real job, and disposable income, I bought a mess-o-pens, some new, some vintage, and enjoy them all. Pens are as bad as pipes, only people don't screw up their faces and do that obnoxious false-coughing dance of the hands when you use them.)

When you start getting into vintage stuff, you're really in trouble. You could have a whole collection, for instance, of the variants on the Eversharp Skyline, or the Shaeffer Tuckaway,.

And, then there's ink. Just like tobacco. I have my faves, but every time a new colour appears that I like, I have to have it. I hear Diamine is coming out with a set of 12 based on Composers. Saving my pocket change…

I wish you luck.

Well don't I feel stupid.. never knew about a inner cap issue but then I ain't the brightest bulb in the closet. evidently, since I also like Peterson pipes.

I lean towards Parker because I was lucky enough to get some nicer older stuff from my grandparents (vacumatic and duofolds) and a cherry 51 from my mother) I nice have a nice stash of Parker Sapphire Ink. Everyone's mileage will very.

If you want to step up take a look at the Bexley pens. I just picked up the Rasp owners club pen and I'll put it up against any pen out there. Made right here in cowtown Columbus Ohio

Last edited by Bullwinkle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pen recommendation   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm

It's just a standard pen case...

Fountain Pen recommendation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next