HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

This one could be interesting.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: This one could be interesting.   Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:12 pm

alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:15 pm

In my uneducated opinion, that's an ugly pipe that I'd give ~$30.00 for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Hand made in the formative years by the two masters, Radice and Ascorti, unsmoked, unblemished, an archetype form, the bent egg with the uber craggyness, made with really good fine old briar. You want a piece of Italian pipe art history in like new condition, this is it. If I could, I would.

mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm sorry but I almost stepped in something on the lawn this morning that looked a lot like that pipe.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:40 pm

I understand exactly what these guys are saying and why, but I really like this pipe, I don't like it 450 dollars though

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:19 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
In my uneducated opinion, that's an ugly pipe that I'd give ~$30.00 for.
I agree, except that $30 is too high.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:57 pm

the rev wrote:
I understand exactly what these guys are saying and why, but I really like this pipe, I don't like it 450 dollars though

rev

I, too, find this pipe compelling. Probably because of, rather than in spite of, its ugliness.

It is fugly!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Actually I really like that pipe, but not enough to warrant that much money...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:24 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Actually I really like that pipe, but not enough to warrant that much money...

Don't worry Rob, you have a much fuglier pipe coming your way... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Don't worry Rob, you have a much fuglier pipe coming your way... Cool

affraid affraid affraid

What? Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SaltwaterCowboy

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:38 am

Can't say it was love at first sight, or 2nd... heck I had to turn away Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:30 am

mark wrote:
I'm sorry but I almost stepped in something on the lawn this morning that looked a lot like that pipe.

This.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:11 pm

I wouldn't smoke it, not the right dimensions for me, but aesthetics? Not bad. Kind of looks like briar meringue.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Its an interesting pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:35 pm

$676.00
Someone wanted it pretty badly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skaukatt

Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:11 am

It's a piece of pipe history. As has been said, carved in the golden age of the Caminetto brand by Ascorti / Radice. I can see why it commanded the price although it is way, way over its original selling price, of course. It's all about the nomenclature stamped there: Ascorti/Radice, it's unsmoked and what one is willing to pay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm

skaukatt wrote:
It's a piece of pipe history. As has been said, carved in the golden age of the Caminetto brand by Ascorti / Radice. I can see why it commanded the price although it is way, way over its original selling price, of course. It's all about the nomenclature stamped there: Ascorti/Radice, it's unsmoked and what one is willing to pay.

This. It's not that it's such a great looking pipe ( although I've seen this shape done by Caminetto in other colors and with better rustication that looked really impressive) but it's a nomenclature chasers prize. The two boys (Radice and Ascorti) were influencial for a lot of the best work that came out of Italy afterwards, and it was a very small window where they both carved together and signed the pipes as such. The pipe is definitely worth the coin.

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Is there any way to identify pipes made by the two while they worked at Castello?
Some of the shape 293's bear a resemblance to Luigi and Peppino's early style at Caminetto.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Knowing about older Castellos is tough. There isn't much written about them as far as I'm aware. There are no storied chapters like many of the old English houses left us, no works by private collectors that outline specifics of the early years like you find with the British names. At least none that I'm aware of. On top of that, as far as I know, the pipes were sold as carved by Castello the same way Dunhills were carved by Dunhill. Save the very rare oddity, I don't think you'd be able to find any definitive proof that any one individual carved any particular pipe. I believe Charatan and W O Larsen may be the only old carving houses that made it easier to figure out who may have carved what with their higher grade pipes.

That said, it's pretty obvious that certain identifiable traits left Castello and moved on to other carving houses or individuals. It's probably easy to associate a few with Radice, though not very easy with anyone else. If anyone knows of any documented research I'd be all ears.

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: This one could be interesting.   Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Sounds like a trip to Cantu is in order... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Caminetto New Dear 147   Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Given its provenance, the pipe in that eBay auction likely was made from the original stash of rare 30-year air cured briar with which Ascorti and Radice began their enterprise in 1968. Assuming the pipe was stored properly since then, one can only imagine how mellow its smokes must be now.

Apart from the well-cured wood, the Caminetto-Ascorti-Radice (CAR) rustication was (and still is) valued by pipers who appreciate a cool smoke. The highly figured carved surface greatly increases the surface area available for radiative transfer of heat from the bowl. The very earliest CAR carvings were more akin to the early Castello Sea Rock style, which had the look of smoother, wave-weathered rock. But eventually the CAR carving style became craggier, like rock freshly broken. I appreciate both styles, but the craggier style does seem to smoke somewhat cooler.

I have one of those early Caminetto bent eggs—the classic shape 147 stamped on the left side of the stummel. It is one of the best pipes I have ever smoked. I bought it so long ago I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was a fraction of the $676 the one on eBay sold for. It is a genuine work of pipecrafting art. Originally a natural color like the one in the auction, it's a pipe whose extraordinary carving has colored handsomely through the years. It smokes cool and dry, never getting more than warm to the touch, and it gurgleth not.

The fact that such pipes are considered fugly by some folks is a blessing for those who appreciate the virtues of their cool, dry smoke and masterful carving. It means there are fewer pipers chasing such rare treasures, which makes it less costly to acquire one. But that won't last long. As the virtues of such gems become more widely known, the prices have crept ever upward over the years.

Besides, there is no accounting for personal preferences, and preferences change. In the folly of my youth, I wouldn't even consider a rusticated or sandblasted pipe. Silly boy. Embarassed But with greater experience comes wisdom...well, sometimes. Wink

Anyhow, finding one of those early masterpieces unsmoked is almost unheard of. For the right buyer, it was an extraordinary find.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html

This one could be interesting.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1