HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The "Last Smoke" is this Friday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 am

Sad news came last night. The only "tobacconist" out of the 3 here in town, that had a smoking lounge and encouraged pipe smokers ( the other two were really large retail humidors for cigar smokers) had a poster up about the "Last Smoke" they are holding this Friday, the 15th. That's the last day they can allow folks to smoke IN the store according to the ordinance passed by the city council last October. I was there last night with the usual small group of pipe smokers that would gather on Wednesday night for "Our Smoke" and weekly BS session and saw this event announced on a poster and by the owner. He's going all out supplying some BBQ and such, mixers (BYOB) and such for those that want and some 'bacs and cigars and accessories to be raffled off. It should be a nice evening albeit a sad one given there won't be a place to "get together" with other pipers other than at some ones home now. We tried to get the council to not pass this ordinance, but the "anti tobacco" folks had more $s to pass around for election campaigns than we did. As they say, Democracy is for those that can afford it Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
petertschantz

Registration date : 2010-08-12

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:52 am

hate to hear this monbla! unfortunately I don't see this sort of thing slowing down anytime soon...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.petertschantz.com/
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:01 am

A sad day indeed, Monbla.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the trend these days. They are already campaigning in my area too, so it's only a matter of time.

Enjoy the 'Last Smoke', Brother!
Lat-Bomb the hell out of the place and tie on a good one. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:06 am

You are right, money does buy representation, sad.
Let me guess, you are also not allowed to smoke on the sidewalk outside the shop? If you can, I'd get a bunch of cheap chairs and scatter about. They'll catch on quick, but it will be fun for a little while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 am

riff raff wrote:
Let me guess, you are also not allowed to smoke on the sidewalk outside the shop? If you can, I'd get a bunch of cheap chairs and scatter about. They'll catch on quick, but it will be fun for a little while.
He's in a small strip center with a beauty shop on one sdie and a Lavanderia on the other and even though I don't think the ordinance applies outside, it would not be good for his shop's PR to do somthing like that. The "anti's" are next going to try and get ALL tobacco banned in town, cigs, cigars etc. next so we don't want to give 'em anymore ammo to use. It's life in the 21st century and if we wan't to fight it, we are going to have to be willing to get the $s to do it with. Onward thru the Fog Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 am

monbla256 wrote:
riff raff wrote:
He's in a small strip center with a beauty shop on one sdie and a Lavanderia on the other and even though I don't think the ordinance applies outside, it would not be good for his shop's PR to do somthing like that. The "anti's" are next going to try and get ALL tobacco banned in town, cigs, cigars etc. next so we don't want to give 'em anymore ammo to use. It's life in the 21st century and if we wan't to fight it, we are going to have to be willing to get the $s to do it with. Onward thru the Fog Twisted Evil

Of course you are right, making folks angry at group usually isn't very effective in winning them over to your cause....we are supposed to be gentlemen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 am

Very tragic! Hopefully the last smoke is an event to beat the band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 am

Quote :
we are supposed to be gentlemen.

And they are supposed to be neighbors. Not Bolshevics.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Yak wrote:
Quote :
we are supposed to be gentlemen.

And they are supposed to be neighbors. Not Bolshevics.

What a Face

Might not have as much a problem with Bolshevics as we do with the the reactionary bunch running things these days Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Sad news indeed, Monbla. Maybe it's time to open a "smoking speakeasy" in your area. The password could be "Monbla's yer uncle". Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Same mentality in both cases.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:46 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Sad news indeed, Monbla. Maybe it's time to open a "smoking speakeasy" in your area. The password could be "Monbla's yer uncle". Razz

Don't want to do that! Would be found out and crucified by the "nuts" Twisted Evil But an accountant friend and I are working up how much the city makes in sales tax and permit fees for a year that the city makes for the sale of tobacco and related items. Have some $ numbers ready to present to the politicians when the "issue " comes up. They understand $s Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Might not have as much a problem with Bolshevics as we do with the the reactionary bunch running things these days
Don't you mean the revolutionary bunch? I would think that, in this case, the reactionary bunch is on your side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:23 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Might not have as much a problem with Bolshevics as we do with the the reactionary bunch running things these days
Don't you mean the revolutionary bunch? I would think that, in this case, the reactionary bunch is on your side.
The main person running the anti's here is a major player in the local Tea Party. Reactionary is a two sided coin these days, It is the 21st century Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 pm

It's sad news. This tobacco prohibition is at full-steam.

In better news, enjoy it while you have it--yesterday, at my Tinder Box, the owner brought in a 52" TV. Normally I would have objected to this, as many people use televisions as surrogate friends (on, yapping all the time) or information centers, however, we broke it in yesterday by a bunch of us sitting, watching old re-runs of "All In The Family," laughing our arses off at humor of a bygone era, smoking tobacco products soon to be just as rare, and having a good time.

Life is about moments, some of 'em suck, so soak up the ones that don't.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Sorry to hear this. It's ridiculous that so many states are prohibiting smoking in a tobacco shop. No one in those stores is afraid of first, second, or third hand smoke. What's the point? Stupid. Just stupid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 pm

The antis are organized, and they have a kind of religious zeal. Smokers lack that passion and just want to be left in peace to smoke as they will, the devil take the consequences. They have already more than accommodated nonsmokers. Through taxes and restrictions they encounter a mounting movement to eliminate tobacco. The penalties to be paid in health insurance premiums would seem to be a more recent anti attack.

But lacking that zeal, they do far too little to fight back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Alfredo sees it.

They're Bolshevics.

Not what "Bolshevic" reminds you of.

What they were/are.

Zealots with an agenda and a compulsion to run everybody else's lives.

What a Face

Last edited by Yak on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:30 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
The antis are organized, and they have a kind of religious zeal. Smokers lack that passion and just want to be left in peace to smoke as they will, the devil take the consequences. They have already more than accommodated nonsmokers. Through taxes and restrictions they encounter a mounting movement to eliminate tobacco. The penalties to be paid in health insurance premiums would seem to be a more recent anti attack.

But lacking that zeal, they do far too little to fight back.

BINGO !!! Sad to say we will get what we desrve if we continue on this way. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 pm

The high schoolification of the USA continues.

You know, the whole point of politics is the clash of individual rights vs group preferences. It is not possible or even desirable, in the political process, to have everyone "like" you. And what good would it do you if all your neighbors thought you were the greatest guy in town, but also felt entitled to forbid tobacco use, limit the size of beverage cups and forbid you to eat peanut butter?

Remember Willie Loman? He thought the greatest thing was being "well liked," the wimp. Don't be a doormat. Label the antis- as bullies and intrusive troublemakers who won't mind their own business.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joemelon

Registration date : 2012-09-28

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 am

That's a shame, there's a small cigar shop in Houston that my brother frequents and I've been to a few times. Great owner, good people in the crowd, few chairs up front to lounge and socialize...and you can't smoke outside (not that people keep to that "rule"). You know, nothing lasts forever but I hate to see the day that anywhere you go here in the US you wont find a TOBACCO shop that can let it's patrons smoke indoors. I can only hope the pro-/anti-tobacco pendulum swings the other way soon enough.

I do hope that the last group smoke in the shop is a grand event though, sounds like it will be. Enjoy. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesepfeife

Registration date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 pm

monbla256 wrote:
The main person running the anti's here is a major player in the local Tea Party. Reactionary is a two sided coin these days, It is the 21st century Twisted Evil
I think this person has missed the point of the Tea Party, at least my understanding of it. I guess they haven't made the connection of more taxes usually goes along with the idea of less liberty. As per my previous post regarding loss of smoking in my room at the hotel I have stayed at in excess of 100 nights a year for the past few years, I am now looking into alternative lodging.

People don't realize that the government is "boiling a frog" and it will be too late when they come for what's dear to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Best solution would be a club. They can't do a whole lot if you invite over a bunch of friends and have a "Smoke-a-thon" at your house. I've been toying around with the idea of opening up a PRIVATE Social Club for pipes & cigars. It would be strictly a "Members Only Club". Whatever we would do in our building would be "our business" and no one elses. In NY, there are several "Private Cigar Clubs" that cater to the $$$ crowd. They seem to opearate just fine and nobody bothers them............ Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:49 pm

DoverPipes wrote:
Best solution would be a club. They can't do a whole lot if you invite over a bunch of friends and have a "Smoke-a-thon" at your house. I've been toying around with the idea of opening up a PRIVATE Social Club for pipes & cigars. It would be strictly a "Members Only Club". Whatever we would do in our building would be "our business" and no one elses. In NY, there are several "Private Cigar Clubs" that cater to the $$$ crowd. They seem to opearate just fine and nobody bothers them............ Razz

Not that simple here. To have a "private club" of ANY kind in town, one has to get a permit for it and on that permit it declares whether the structure is a Residence or other. If it's Other, you cannot consume tobacco products of ANY kind INSIDE the structure! The ordinance states that except for "private residences", all OTHER structures in town shall be "... smoke free..." They tried to get it to extend to outside of these structures, but the Police Chief got the council to blow that off with a cost assesment of manpower to enforce this ordinance. Mayor said "... inside is fine, but not outside in the public space as it's payed for by ALL taxpayers, smokers or not."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The "Last Smoke" is this Friday    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm

This is kind of hilarious. You're saying that in Texas, land of Concealed Carry for All, a bunch of old guys can't get together to lie, smoke and complain about the ding dang gubmint w/out a steenkin permit? Have a passel of Bosto retirees moved down your way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The "Last Smoke" is this Friday
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next