HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Meteor in Russia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 pm

As far as I know, no meteorites have yet been found since this meteor exploded yesterday. (Meteorites are the fragments that remain after the explosion.) The video shows a meteor, not a meteorite.

Some people are implying that this meteor is related to this morning's fly-by of asteroid 2012 DA14, but that's a total pantload. The meteor in the video above and asteroid 2012 DA14 have completely different trajectories. There's no connection whatsoever between the two events.

BTW, commentary on the 2012 DA14 fly-by will be available via NASA TV and streamed live online at http://www.nasa.gov/ntv and http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2 today at 11:00 PST.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:39 pm

That was an epic video. I like the nonchalance of the people taping it, as if it were just a routine video. Laughing Russians. Go figure. If that were here in the states, people would be shitting skittles and turning inside out, either in glee or fear.

That was a big'un, eh?

When I was about 15, I was...erm...camping somehwhat long term...in a set of mountains north of Reno. Left the relative safety of my hatchback-bed to take a pee, two in the morning, groggy...then something (about half the brilliance of the spacerock in that video) zoomed overhead. I thought a silent helicopter had suddenly spotlit me, until the light went from green, to blue, to yellow...I heard a blast louder than 100 shotguns, and watched this sparkling trail head off toward Pyramid Lake nearby... scared the piss out of me. Literally. Won't forget that one.

Isn't there some fancy asteroid passing fairly close to Earth today, Vito? Maybe he had a little friend.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm waiting for all the conspiracy theorists to start chiming in on this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:58 pm

If Freud was a conspiracy-astronomer:

"Sometimes a meteor is just a meteor." lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:

I'm sure they've already started, but not worth it to me to investigate.

If it hits, it his. If it misses us, then it misses. Me reading the current conspiracy theories won't make any difference.

OTOH - maybe it'll hit DC and we can make a fresh start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...Isn't there some fancy asteroid passing fairly close to Earth today, Vito? Maybe he had a little friend.

Cool
My original post answers everything you asked, Kyle. Wink

Wet Dottle wrote:
If this is a conspiracy, then the chief conspirator is "Bob" (the universe), and everything in it is a co-conspirator. On that basis, guys like Newton and Einstein the only kind of conspiracy theorists who have any credibility, as far as I'm concerned. And they'd be the first to tell you that their theories are only approximations to reality, subject to further refinement in the light of subsequent knowledge.

The key to their credibility is their falsifiability. They can be put to the test of real-world testing for corroboration. The garbage that phony conspiracy theorists promote is of the kind, "Everything is being controlled by invisible alien black helicopters from a parallel universe...and you can't prove they don't exist."

That's right...and I have better things to do than to waste my time trying to prove the unprovable.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm

I have my computer set up with very large, readable text, that sometimes with videos and pictures, the written parts of a post shrink down (to fit the image/video) and I can't read them (my eyes are terrible). My apologies, it was probably a blur to me.

Meanwhile, burning objects in the sky? Cool! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Asteroid 2012 DA14 – Earth Flyby Reality Check   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Here's another link to information on today's 2012 DA14 asteroid fly-by, including info about its non-connection to the Russia meteor:

Asteroid 2012 DA14 – Earth Flyby Reality Check

The time of closest approach to Earth (~17,200 miles) has already passed. It happened at 11:24 a.m. PST this morning. Those who were hoping for some kind of cataclysm can now engage the Disappointment Module™. Wink

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Did you guys pick up on that one Russian Politician believes it to have been some modern American weapon being tested, how scary paranoid is that!?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Did you guys pick up on that one Russian Politician believes it to have been some modern American weapon being tested, how scary paranoid is that!?!
No...I didn't see that one, Kirk. But it doesn't surprise me.

Actually, that has been standard operating procedure for all politicians/rulers for the last, what...6,000 years or so, as long as humanoids have been recording what happens. They conjure up a boogeyman, and then thump their chests, "I'll protect you!"

Classic. That's how they create job security for themselves. It works the same way in all countries, all systems. It's the "Us vs. Them" mentality. We'll be stuck with it until folks learn to see through it, and see beyond it. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. No

jocolor
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Utter nonsense! This is clearly a new Chinese weapon system..
We need an unlimited, unaccountable, and totaly untransparent budget for security purposes.

Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Did you guys pick up on that one Russian Politician believes it to have been some modern American weapon being tested

You mean it wasn't? Shocked

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:41 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Utter nonsense! This is clearly a new Chinese weapon system..
We need an unlimited, unaccountable, and totaly untransparent budget for security purposes.
Oh yeah...right. I forgot. To protect our Way of Life. For the Children.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:00 pm

What's crazy, is that when I first saw that video I was thinking it was pretty cool. The desensitization of all the doomsday movies didn't really make me think too much about it, until I took the time to consider that it was real and not a hollywood production. When I stopped to consider what that would have been like flying over my own house it made me think, "HOLY CRAP!" That must have been pretty amazing/frightening. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:00 pm

I saw on line somewhere that fragment(s) punched a hole in the ice on a lake somewhere near Chelyabinsk. I'll try to find a link. Too bad the Science Channel cancelled Meteorite Men. I'd like to see them slogging around in Russia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Vito wrote:
Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
No...I didn't see that one, Kirk. But it doesn't surprise me.

Actually, that has been standard operating procedure for all politicians/rulers for the last, what...6,000 years or so, as long as humanoids have been recording what happens. They conjure up a boogeyman, and then thump their chests, "I'll protect you!"

Classic. That's how they create job security for themselves. It works the same way in all countries, all systems. It's the "Us vs. Them" mentality. We'll be stuck with it until folks learn to see through it, and see beyond it. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. No

jocolor

The comment was made by Nationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovksy, apparently it was said in jest but a pretty silly 'joke' if you ask me,

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/possible-meteor-shower-reported-eastern-russia-052236097.html;_ylt=AuOUC7wiO.vW8CX7.fHkHQrffMl_;_ylu=X3oDMTM0OWd1YXFuBG1pdANJbmZpbml0ZSBCcm93c2UgVGV4dARwa2cDN2E3ZDFjZWItMGRiZC0zZmVjLWIxYmItOGJjMjI5NjhmMDU1BHBvcwNsMwRzZWMDbWVkaWFpbmZpbml0ZWJyb3dzZWxpc3Q-;_ylg=X3oDMTJvM3BzMzJiBGludGwDZ2IEbGFuZwNlbi1nYgRwc3RhaWQDNTk2Zjc4NjUtMzdiOC0zN2Y5LWIxNjUtYmEwYWNhOTdhMzg1BHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZARwdANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=3

Scroll down the page to the 5th line below the text: RARE EVENT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Hah! One of my Star Destroyers uses a tractor-beam to sling a meteor into Russia - and they blame it on the Americans! Laughing

Priceless! cheers

Hhhmmm - this could be useful, and fun! Twisted Evil
How much would they pay, I wonder, to keep this from happening again? Cool

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 pm

RonA3597 wrote:
I saw on line somewhere that fragment(s) punched a hole in the ice on a lake somewhere near Chelyabinsk. I'll try to find a link. Too bad the Science Channel cancelled Meteorite Men. I'd like to see them slogging around in Russia.
I saw that photo too, Ron (or one like it), but it wasn't accompanied by information indicating that the hole in the ice had actually been caused by a meteorite. At the time, I supposed there was a possibility that it could have been an effect of the shock wave from the explosion, which was fairly intense in some locations. It not only shattered glass, but actually bent some metal window frames:

...so I demurred from asserting with certainty that the hole was caused by a fragment. Later I found the following image, whose description stated that the hole was "...reportedly where a fragment of the meteor fell." But I agree that a fragment is the most likely cause:

In any case, no fragments had been recovered at the time I made that earlier post, from under that hole in the ice or anywhere else as far as I know, and I don't suppose that anyone considers it especially urgent to go down there to find it right now. Wink

Anyhow, I suspect that there will be plenty of curious astrogeologists combing the area around Chelyabinsk for weeks and months to come looking for fragmentary evidence. Based on the videos I've seen and the audio I've heard, the breakup appeared to involve multiple explosions. So, I'd expect that there must have been a great deal of fragmentation, which makes it unlikely that the meteor underwent complete vaporization.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 am

Chelyabinsk is going to be a cold place for many and a busy time for glaziers. We were watching Russian new Vesti last night, they said 100,000 sq meters of glass was shattered, about just less than 1.1 million sq feet. Temps are below 0 F at night, 20s during the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:58 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Did you guys pick up on that one Russian Politician believes it to have been some modern American weapon being tested

You mean it wasn't? Shocked

Laughing

How about we blame N Korea or Iran instead?

Kirk: re: politicians' 'jokes'; remember Reagan's? "We begin the bombing in five minutes"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:21 pm

...don't forget, Veet, the possibility of fake fragments being "found" by cheeky Russians between now and whenever, too... Laughing Just you wait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...don't forget, Veet, the possibility of fake fragments being "found" by cheeky Russians between now and whenever, too... Laughing Just you wait.
I admit that the thought never occurred to me, Kyle. More proof of Vitonian mutancy, I guess.

It seems to me, though, that such fakery is inevitably doomed to fail. Fragments will be subjected to all kinds of chemical physical, and spectroscopic analysis. As more and more fragments are found and analyzed, a characteristic physical profile of genuine fragments will gradually emerge. Fakes will become increasingly easy to detect. Anyone who seeks fame through fakery will ultimately reap notoriety.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Even 15 minutes of Russian fame is worth it to some wudka-soaked comrade... lol!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Even 15 minutes of Russian fame is worth it to some wudka-soaked comrade... lol!

Prolly so, but it doesn't take spirits of potato to induce such lust for ego gratification.

All it takes is a mind sufficiently deluded not to realize that the vainglorious "self" is an ephemeral fiction.

As you well know, the Russians don't have an exclusive lock on that kind of delusion.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Meteor in Russia   Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:23 pm

No, no they don't. In fact, they aren't even predicated to such goals--but when they do, boy, do they. Laughing

Might be some foreign visitor expert that "finds" it. Then the Ruskie Mafia will throw him in that lake with the hole in it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Meteor in Russia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next