HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Just got back from Mexico

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Just got back from Mexico   Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey Brothers,

It's been over a week since I've been able to be on the forum and enjoy your company. I've missed it. I just got back from a trip to Mexico and thought I'd share my adventure with you guys.

So, here goes.

My Father-in-law approached me early this year and asked me if I'd like to join him on a trip to Matamoros Mexico. He went a few years ago, had a great time and wanted to know if I'd join him this time. While he's in great shape, he recently had some heart work done, so I was interested in going to enjoy his company along with making sure he was safe and good. Other than that, I hadn't really given the trip much thought.

Matamoros is just across the boarder from Brownsville TX. And located there on about 170 acres almost directly between the state prison and federal prison is a orphanage. Seeing that adoption isn't allowed in the state, the mission of this particular orphanage is to love kids, keep them safe, teach them about God and raise them in an environment that will help them learn life skills and even get into college and make a life for themselves. The plan for our trip was to go to this orphanage and help them in any way we could.

I took Spanish way back in college, but I can't say that I really know much, so I hadn't planned on a ton of interaction with the locals. We were there to build cabinets for the residences. The work was long. We worked 12-14 hour days for about 6 days straight, stopping only for 30 minute lunches and dinners. Some days were a bit lighter, but not enough to really catch up on sleep or gain back strength that had been so thoroughly spent. But the kind of tired that I was feeling was a good tired of a day well lived and worked.

Over the course of my time there the kids were all over the place and very much interested in what we were doing. They'd peek their heads in open windows or around corners and giggle and watch and whisper. I got to know several of their names, and a few of them remembered mine. "Hola Brian", they'd say every time they saw me. They wanted to know how old I was, if I had kids, what my kid's names were, how old they were and all sorts of things. I'm sure if I had known more Spanish, they would have sat and asked me questions until their bedtime. They were just adorable.

The main project the orphanage was working on was renovating each residence, one by one, in turn moving a family from an old ratty house, to a newly refurbished unit. Each unit had a dorm parent or parents and about 10 kids. Some had more. After finishing the cabinet work, we got to move one precious groups of kids into their new home. It was wonderful to see. Each child had so little that was their own, but they all seemed quite content with what they had, and thrilled to have a such a nice new place....a place that for most of us on this board might seem like the cheapest hotel we've ever stayed in.

Over the short amount of time I found I was quite attached to some of the children. There were times when they'd be just getting back from school and they'd see me and come running over shouting "Hola Brian!" in their cheerful little voices. I'd sit down with them and go over their school books, reading words in both English and Spanish. The very little ones would point to a paragraph that was written completely in English and ask me to read it, just so they could hear how funny I sounded. I'd read while they marveled at my hairy arms and shaved head and blue eyes. It was priceless.

The trip began to come to a close and I found myself apprehensive about seeing them again. I didn't know how to tell them I was leaving in the morning and probably wouldn't see them again, and I found that I didn't particularly want to. But the time came. I was able to find enough words like, "maņana, mi casa, Americas and nueve" to help them understand that I was going to my home in America tomorrow at 9:00. I was sure the message was received when one of the little girls dropped her head, with a look of complete sadness. She gave me multiple small bear hugs, and this American about lost it.

I didn't think about what the trip would mean to me, but it ended up being one I will never forget.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 pm

That type of thing is a life changing experience. For you and them.

The kindness of a stranger is always remembered.

Thanks for sharing. That choked me up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Sounds like an enlightening experience and you made difference. Congrats
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Excellent story Brian! Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 pm

You were gone?

lol!

Seriously - wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBrad

Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Verse 1:
Down the road a ways Ive heard said a new day's coming on
Where the women folks are friendly and the law leaves you alone
I'll believe it when I see it and I haven't seen it yet
Don't mind me just keep on talking I'm just looking for my hat

Chorus 1:
There ain't no God in Mexico, ain't no way to understand
How that border crossing feeling makes afool out of a man
If I'd never felt the sunshine then I would not curse the rain
If my feet could fit a railroad track, I guess I'd been a train

Verse 2:
Me and Louise Higgins-Botham used to chase across the yard
Back in 1947 that's when more than times were hard
Well pity me I didn't find the line in time like a fool
In front of God and everybody I politely blew my cool

Chorus 2:
Ain't no God in Mexico, ain't no comfort in the king
When you're down in Matomoras getting busted by the man
If I'd never felt the sunshine, hell I would not curse the rain
If I hadn't been railroaded well I guess I'd been a train

As sung byWaylon Jennings RIP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 am

Say hello next time you're down here! Cool

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 am

Pretty awesome, sounds like you made a real difference in some people's lives cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:40 am

Those children will remember you fondly their entire lives, you gave them something no amount of money can ever buy them, you showed them kindness and attention in a time during their lives which is riddled with uncertainty and insecurity, kudos to you for being so warm to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 am

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
Those children will remember you fondly their entire lives, you gave them something no amount of money can ever buy them, you showed them kindness and attention in a time during their lives which is riddled with uncertainty and insecurity, kudos to you for being so warm to them.

Couldn't have said it better. What a great and humbling experience. Good on ya brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boulderandbriar.com
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am

Wow growley that is a wonderful thing you did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:20 pm

People can be great no matter what their ages or nationalities!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 pm

way to walk in the kingdom brother, I know you were blessed more than they were, and they were blessed plenty. I am proud to count you among my friends, even if I have never shaken your hand Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Growley, thank you for what you did for those children and thank God for the blessings He laid on you and them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Brian, I don't think it's anyone's say to determine who is a good man and who isn't, we only have examples to guide us...and you're a good example of a man.

Sounds like everyone was for the better after your trip. Priceless stuff right there.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 pm

Brian,
Not only are you a Master Craftsman, you also define what it means to be a Human Being in your life! It's folks like you and what you do that confirm my hopes for the human race! Thank you cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:22 pm

I just found their WEBSITE. There are some nice pics of the kiddos in their Photo Gallery. I'm tellin' ya, if they were open for adoption, I would have brought at least two of them home....not that it's as simple as that...but it would be nice if it were.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Just got back from Mexico   Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:01 am

Amazingly touching story brother! (Don't go there guys)

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Just got back from Mexico
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1