HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

B&M pushed out of town

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: B&M pushed out of town   Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:51 am

I'm not directly affected as I do most of my shopping at one of the other locations mentioned in the article, but the folks at the downtown Cleveland shop were good, good, people. What a damn shame.

http://www.cleveland.com/tipoff/index.ssf/2013/03/cleveland_state_university_is.html#incart_river_default
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Sad article. Political correctness over history and what seemed to be a damn fine place.

Hey, at least they're opening up a new one and not giving up just because the college fundamentalists are catching the latest fad train to self-righteousness.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Sad. Sad Agreeing with Kyle, good that they're not giving up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 pm

beetlejazz wrote:
Sad. Sad Agreeing with Kyle, good that they're not giving up!

(...off-topic, good to see ya posting again, Sis...) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Really sad. Hauntingly similar to what happened to Grant's in SF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:46 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Really sad. Hauntingly similar to what happened to Grant's in SF.

This. And I never got a chance to visit Grants. Neutral I like SF, but then again, I hate SF. *sigh*

Enjoy them while you may, if you have 'em.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Its a shame a business with that much history is closing up, especially for that reason. Good thing there relocating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:24 am

Sign of sad times to be sure.

I did get a kick out of the "They even let lawyers in." comment.

And the 'not blowing smoke' in the title recalled a saying from my windsurfing past:
"If it's not blowing, it sucks"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:21 am

This is so sad to hear. The politically correct folks strike again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joemelon

Registration date : 2012-09-28

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:20 am

Sad story, but at least they're just picking up and moving. More pleasant ending than being run out of business. I liked the picture of the shop, looks like a cool place to have a smoke. I wonder how many initiates to the world of pipes and cigars that place has brought forth, if I read correctly then it sounds like it was right across from a college campus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 am

As understand it the whole "moving" to a new location is really a bit of spin. They'd been looking at opening an additional location in Akron for a while, if rumors around the smoke shop are to be believed (and they usually are, in my experience). So while it's definitely nice that they're not closing up shop, it's not so much "relocation" as it is "relocation instead of planned expansion."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:21 pm

"The university seeks to set a model for a tobacco free workplace and promotion of healthy lifestyle," wrote Frederick F. Kantz, director of facility administration at CSU. "Having a cigar shop in the same building which houses both our health clinic and NEOMED offices is not conducive to that model."

This and other prissy ejaculations are examples of modern-day Puritanism, a religion, just like environmentalism. There is a need in some people to feel self-righteous, correct, and among the moral elite, in order to lord it over others and fill the hole where their rational ego ought to be. Mencken summed it up thusly: "Puritanism is the haunting fear that somewhere someone might be happy." Lets call Mr. Kuntz and his ilk the Neo-Puritans and shoot them on sight. Figuratively speaking, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Richard, I'd only add that a visual representation of this situation (and your summary of others in that category) needs to have a mascot: an angry, skeletal bulimic girl gagging herself with a roasted chicken leg--she's vegan, you see, tempting and punishing herself at the same time, successfully at an "ideal" weight so others will finally see the real her, and convinced she's doing it all for the good of humanity. Elitist pride is a scary, scary bitch.

Cool

:religionlovesamartyr:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:56 pm

A sad day indeed, Brothers & Sisters. B&Ms seem to be disappearing, and that's a sight I didn't think I would live to see. Face it - the Good Ole Days are gone. Let's just hope the Online Retailers are able to stay in business for a while. I don't currently have the available resources to stock a proper cellar, but I do the best that I can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Not the most pleasant of news items, if you are one of US for sure. But there's a FACT we are all missing, the property does belong to the University and if we all want the rights of property owners to be allowed, they can do what they want with it. Sad fact, but that's what it is regardless of "political correctness" or such. Not what I'd like to see but I'd have to agree with the University's right to do as they want with THEIR property. JMHO Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Sorry, double post Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:12 pm

monbla256 wrote:

We're used to you repeating yourself. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

We're used to you repeating yourself. Razz

Thank you Kyle. Your'e so polite to your superiors Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 pm

[quote="Kyle Weiss"]Richard, I'd only add that a visual representation of this situation (and your summary of others in that category) needs to have a mascot: an angry, skeletal bulimic girl gagging herself with a roasted chicken leg--she's vegan, you see, tempting and punishing herself at the same time, successfully at an "ideal" weight so others will finally see the real her, and convinced she's doing it all for the good of humanity. Elitist pride is a scary, scary bitch.

8)

:religionlovesamartyr:
[/quote]

Kyle--you know my sister?

Monbla--you are right about the property rights issue, of course, and Mr. Kuntz is just a pathetic pawn. I was addressing the mentality. The issue is no more about health than environmentalism is about clean air and water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Kyle--you know my sister?

Laughing

I have a troublesome sister too, as it were. *sigh* Smile

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:22 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Not what I'd like to see but I'd have to agree with the University's right to do as they want with THEIR property. JMHO Twisted Evil

I mostly agree...trouble is that Cleveland State University receives plenty of funding through state and local subsidies, and is a public institution. It isn't exactly "private property" in the strictest sense. That doesn't necessarily undo the argument you're making, but it kinda makes it sting a little more - it feels less like a landlord evicting a tenant and more like the "powers that be" pushing around the private sector, as usual. Either way you cut it, it sucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PiperCub

Registration date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: sad   Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 pm

this makes me sad. i dunno what id do if my B&M shut down....i'm all for health and stuff, but he's right. it is old school cleveland. Old School Rocks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/tj.runningwolf
joemelon

Registration date : 2012-09-28

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Idbowman, well that's still preferable to having to go out of business, at least. Sounds like they're doing well though, so hopefully they'll resume expansion after this relocation. Best wishes for that and to success at their new location

Rob_In_MO wrote:
A sad day indeed, Brothers & Sisters. B&Ms seem to be disappearing, and that's a sight I didn't think I would live to see. Face it - the Good Ole Days are gone. Let's just hope the Online Retailers are able to stay in business for a while. I don't currently have the available resources to stock a proper cellar, but I do the best that I can.

I ain't facing nothing! Our best days are still before us...until they're not. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 am

Clearly, the article misquoted Mr. Kantz. Here’s what he actually said:
Frederick F. Kantz wrote:
The university seeks to set a model for a tobacco free an anal retentive workplace and promotion of healthy lifestyle the classic Nazi anti-tobacco mentality. Having a cigar shop in the same building which houses both our health clinic and NEOMED offices is not conducive to that politically correct, command-and-control douche-bag model.

I entirely agree.

Richard Burley wrote:
Lets call Mr. Kuntz and his ilk the Neo-Puritans and shoot them on sight. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Ironic misspelling of his name...? Twisted Evil

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...convinced she's doing it all for the good of humanity.

C.S. Lewis nailed it, Kyle:
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good...torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    --Clive Staples Lewis

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: B&M pushed out of town   Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 am

Vito wrote:

C.S. Lewis nailed it, Kyle:
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good...torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    --Clive Staples Lewis

jocolor [/quote]

Great quote.

That will be sent to my Senator and Congressman in an upcoming letter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

B&M pushed out of town
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next