HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Long, heartbreaking story short, I was recently smoking my beloved Jirsa, which is essentially a bent bulldog, when I bit through the stem. I know, I know, I should've had a rubber bit on there, but I've never thought of myself as a clencher...sigh. So I'll need to send it somewhere to have a new stem put on at some point, which is doubly annoying as Jirsa stems are kinda unique and whatever I can afford to have put on to replace it probably won't have an inlay, etc...

Which brings me to my question: since I'm going to have to settle for a blander stem anyway, would it be possible to fit it with a churchwarden stem even though it's a bulldog? As in, a churchwarden stem that had the characteristic diamond-shape coming off the tenon? I've never seen such a thing, and suspect they simply don't make bulldog stems anywhere near that long...or is the diamond-shape of a bulldog stem something an experienced repairman might be able to pull off? Before bombarding busy pipe repairers with what is maybe an inane, hopeless question, I thought it best to ask around here since we've got so many talented brothers in-house.

Mind, this isn't just idle speculation--if someone could fit my poor, damaged Jirsa with a bullish churchwarden stem I'd be over the moon, and of course pay for it!

This is the model of pipe, for reference, though mine is semi-rusticated:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:14 pm

i think a decent repairman can replicate that stem for you. if you want a churchwarden you could go that route too, but it will be kind of clunky i think. the leverage even makes my cobs feel big, if that makes sense. i would try and get a nice stem on it, but it's totally your choice. good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joemelon

Registration date : 2012-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm

I don't see why they couldn't, though I've no experience with replacement stems nor making stems. How long of a churchdog are you wanting? I couldn't find any diamond shank saddle bit churchwardens and, but I did find a round saddle bit:

If you find someone, I'd love to see pics of the finished product. I like the concept, think it'd look great on your bulldog. Condolences on the broken stem, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Jesse-

Have you contacted Walker Briar Works about making a replacement stem? Dave would make you a great replacement.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Pipe carvers can make all kinds of stems in many shapes and sizes. I would think any one of the carvers that frequent this forum could help you with either a very close replica or a churchwarden shape of your desire. I had a pipe made for me by Todd Harris and he made the stem look exactly the way I wanted it to look.
Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 pm

It can definitely be done. The stem material we use just comes in a big round rod, so everything has to be shaped to desired fit anyway. I think with that particular shape pipe, the bend would lend itself to a long stem working fine. I'd suggest making it a church warden saddle stem, like you have there but with the thin part making up the bulk of the length.

(This isn't a project I'd want to take on though personally. Churchwarden stems are a bear to work on) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Member "pipeinhand" had Mark Tinsky make this custom Rhodesian with two stems and an extension, instant Churchwarden!
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t21846-got-me-a-new-tinsky-custom#284312

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Running out, so a real response will have to wait 'til tomorrow, but thanks for all the input, guys--greatly appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:54 pm

You could always have the current stem repaired. Not really a big deal. And you could have a churchwarden stem made at the same time. I think that would look great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Why not drop the Rev here a line, he's pretty good with the stems, maybe he'd be willing to take the job on for you. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:40 pm

thanks, but I would not take on that job. I am very backed up with orders and I have not made a diamond nor a churchwarden stem yet, double pain in the ass. That being said... it can be done and with the the insert by any good maker

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:00 pm

It can be done but, even if you find someone willing to take on the project, it's going to cost you due to the amount of time and material involved. That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask around just don't ask me. Drilling a handmade churchwarden is a nightmare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
GrampaGrossbart

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks again, everyone--tons of great input all around! Knowing it can be done is a relief, even if it does take some hunting to find someone willing to take on a job that'll be a royal pain! And yeah, I imagine cost-wise it'll set me back about the price of a decent new pipe, but this Jirsa is kinda sentimental to me--it was the first new pipe I ever bought back when I started puffing, from a neat little B&M. And it smokes so damn good...

Will update this if and when I send her off, and of course if anyone can suggest other repairers who might be up for the challenge lemme know--next paycheck I'll begin the search in earnest. Thanks again, everyone!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgtarheel

Registration date : 2011-09-13

PostSubject: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Contact Mike Meyers at http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/ He will be able to help you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:27 pm

http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/html/meer_churchwarden.html

I like the self portrait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Stem Replacement Question--Is Bulldog Churchwarden Possible?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1