HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Lost in pipe size world! Help please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:38 am

Warm
weather = outside, disc golf, and yard work!

So,
I have been thinking about a small nose warmer with about a 15 min smoke time (I
mostly smoke Frog Morton blends and the occasional bowl of ruins of Isengard
when I can get it) but I am having a hard time finding a pipe that fits into
this category. Size charts do me little good when it comes to determining what
a good 15 minute smoke pipe would be for me so I am looking for some input into
what others might have for little short smoke pipes.

Iím particularly interested if any
brothers had one of these or any of the series?

http://pipesandcigars.com/salopi02sapo.html

What is the smoke time like, is it a nice light easy clench or does it seem off
balance being too fat for a short pipe? (The downfall of most small pipes
IMO)

I really want to have a couple of well-made small pipes breaking in by mid next
month so I would appreciate any input anyone might have.

Thanks

Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:45 am

One of my favorite pipes for a 15 minute smoke is my Kaywoodie Colt.

There just happens to be one up for grabs in unsmoked condition on ebay right now. The pic shows the Colt above a standard size Kaywoodie for comparison.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-SANDBLASTED-KAYWOODIE-COLT-PIPE-UNSMOKED-/111023113288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d97e4448
Back to top Go down
View user profile
flytyer

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 pm

http://pipesandcigars.com/pifepi.html I have one of these that i use when the weather is cold for a quik smoke outside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 pm

A Peterson Calabash would have a pretty small bowl capacity as well.

I think Dr. T's pipe that burned out was that type. (I doubt they all do that)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Grab a Missouri Meerschaum Cob, the bowls can be small in some and are great smokers and you can paw through a few to choose what size and shape is right for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw Online
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:36 pm

More specifically, the Missouri Meerschaum cob model "Washington" are small, cheap, needs no real breaking in, relatively tough and handle almost any tobacco effortlessly. Take care of it, as you seem to be already persnickety about pipes, and it'll last a good long time.

I don't profess (or even fathom) ever to have smoked a pipe in 15 minutes (makes my tongue hurt just thinking about that...) but I get a good 30 - 40 minutes from a MM Washington. If you need an extra kick in the pants, get some high-octane tobacco (Irish Flake, Black XX Twist, Brown Bogie) and you'll be off and runnin' in no time. Hopefully not to the side of the yard to chunder your breakfast all over the emerging daffodils.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:29 pm

+1 for the cob option. Inexpensive and always willing to please.

I once eBought a very nice Sav Milano that might have been just what you're looking for, but my missus said it was "cute," so I returned it for one that was less so.

Another perfectly good option is to partially fill the bowl of a large pipe. Some disapprove of this practice, but it does have thrift going for it Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Personally, when I've only had a short time for a smoke, I'll load up one of my grp3 or 4 sized pipes, smoke it for the short length of time, put a clnr in it and set it down and get back to it later. A pipe for this, a pipe for that, WAAAAY to OCD for me Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Pipe Tobacco Place is running a special right now where if you buy 3 pipes, the cheapest one is free. They have a section of miniature pipes that look like nice flake pipes for the money....

http://www.pipetobacco.com/miniature-pipes.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:39 pm

So I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on the little Sav I posted above, er, as soon as I find one in stock.
I was also thinking of getting one of the fine pipe makers here on this forum to set me up with my second nose warmer when I have the money available next month.
So I guess I will open this up to any of you fine artists that might have time to make me a little nose warmer, preferably a strait or slightly bent pipe. Was also considering a nose warmer sitter and was hoping for a sandblast.

Thanks
Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kashmir

Registration date : 2012-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Lost in pipe size world! Help please!   Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:51 pm

For really short smokes, like you'd do at work on a cigarette break, I'd suggest a Falcon with a small batam or cafe bowl. I use em for hard to replenish foreign flakes, like St. Bruno, pictured here. But these pipe are relatively indestructible smoking utensils that can quickly serve as a nicotine delivery device if pressed into action on short notice.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.eboehm.com/

Lost in pipe size world! Help please!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1