HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Vauen pipe, same shape different price, what gives?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Vauen pipe, same shape different price, what gives?   Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Hey all,

I had ordered a Vauen pipe from cupojoes on Monday because it was the ONLY one available on the net ( http://www.vauen.de/photo/detail/en/Giant_G_019/111.1240.4.10.html )

I looked at smokingpipes.com and saw that they just added a Vauen 3019 ( http://www.vauen.de/photo/detail/en/Giant_3019/111.1252.4.10.html )

but it actually costs $80 less Shocked

I did notice that the one I ordered has a dot on the stem, and is a different color with a semi gloss finish.

Could someone please tell me whats the difference between these two pipes and is it noticeable/justified?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Vauen pipe, same shape different price, what gives?   Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 pm

the difference in price generally comes down to grading and finish. Some say that the white dot vauen are a higher grade thus bringing more money and then on the other hand I hear that different dots indicate what market they were originally designed to sell in. Either way they are both beautiful pipes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Vauen pipe, same shape different price, what gives?   Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Looking at the pages you provided the dot signifies straight grain. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Vauen pipe, same shape different price, what gives?   Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:24 pm

There was a time, although I don't know about it anymore, but there was a time that the hand made one-off Vauens got a white dot in Germany (lost a suit from Dunhill for export). But this seems not to be the case. I think here it looks like the extra money goes into a better piece of wood and a more time consuming finish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Vauen pipe, same shape different price, what gives?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1