HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Flake Pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Ok, here we go, Flake Pipe!! Very Happy

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=121525

Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 pm

And another!

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=109525

KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:19 pm

A lot depends on the smoker's rubbing out, packing and lighting practices methinks. I have two pipes that are nice with flakes, both Dublins, that seem to veer away from what would be most likely perceived as briars born for flakes. One is an Aldo Velani with a bowl 1 3/4' deep by just about 3/4" diameter at the rim. The other is a Cesare Suprema with a bowl 1 1/2" deep by 1" diameter up top, kind of a shot glass on a stick. Both bowls are conical in shape. My theory goes back to the fire triangle. The Velani bowl doesn't require the smolder to struggle to spread horizontally, and the slender, conical bowl keeps it moving downward. The more open Cesare bowl makes it very easy for oxygen to penetrate throughout the bowl to encourage easy movement of the smolder and the conical shape etcetc.

I'm also conscious that I load one pipe slightly different than the other, but a show would be easier to communicate than a tell, if that makes any sense. Because the Cesare bowl is so wide it requires a little more "touch" to get the tobak evenly placed and settled.

Subjectively, I'd say flakes generally do better in tall, narrow bowls, but as always the smoker's confidence and personal likes come into play. And some pipes are just more cooperative than others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPatrick

Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 pm

One pipe that I like to enjoy flakes in is a Chimney Stack shaped pipe. Stanwell and Savinelli and a few other carvers have variations of this shape. I personally have a Savinelli Blasted Autograph Chimney that I picked up in the early 90's. Wonderful Flake pipes
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:08 pm

I . . . don't . . . understand . . . the chimney bowls as flake pipes business.

So long as you're smoking (broken) flakes with their long axis parallel with the sides of the bowl (you know, smoking flakes in a flake pipe), a group 3-4 size bent bulldog/prince/apple (&c.) pipe's good for around an hour. Is more than that better ?

I've read that the increased length --> increasing flavour intensity. (?)

One thing you're sure to do with a taller bowl is multiply the odds of getting one spot along its length too densely packed, screwing the whole thing up.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Tall bowls allow flavors to build up and intensify as you move down into tobacco that has had smoke pulled through it for a half hour or so (at the bottom of the bowl). Some guys really like this. I think most people prefer a shorter chamber because the flavors remain more consistent.

I love huge monster bowls because I like the way they hum along after about 15 minutes, and smoke with no effort for about the next hour. But you gotta be smoking weak-ass blends to enjoy this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
Tall bowls allow flavors to build up and intensify as you move down into tobacco that has had smoke pulled through it for a half hour or so (at the bottom of the bowl). Some guys really like this. I think most people prefer a shorter chamber because the flavors remain more consistent.

I love huge monster bowls because I like the way they hum along after about 15 minutes, and smoke with no effort for about the next hour. But you gotta be smoking weak-ass blends to enjoy this.

This. I like the shorter, what could be considered "OEM" width (whatever that means, I guess, Goldilocks Chamber [just right]) because I've tuned a few tobaccos with this setup, and I know how to get the flavor I want with it.

However, there are some tobaccos that need a little "opening up," so the bowls get wider (bonus points for "V" shapes in that regard). Often, it's because there's an aspect to it I want to experience more. Like Latakia--I don't like too much, but what bit there is doesn't need more volume, it needs an equalizer...maybe a little less mid-range, a tad more bass, and maybe a boost of treble.

Tall bowls are wonderful for that crescendo of flavor, especially where a Burley or a blend with cigar leaf is included, however, they also tend to mute other component tobaccos...again, like Latakia--especially if there's too much. Cuts the resonant bass tones, the kind that rattle teeth out of jaws. Great for teenagers, maybe, not for me. Cobs are a perfect example, and part of why I think Storm Front does so well.

Back in Flake Pipe Land, flakes are often (for me, anyway) there or the subtle complexity. The small bowls aren't strictly for flavor, they're for making sure I don't walk away staggering and green from nicotine overload. Otherwise, I'd probably end up smoking for four hours and coating the side of my porch in a carrot-speckled chartreuse.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JPatrick

Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Stack pipes are not for everyone. My post was not aimed at the masses that is why I said " One pipe that I like to enjoy flakes in ....."
Never had burn problems in a Stack, but then again I have been packing and smoking them for years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 pm

One thing you're sure to do with a taller bowl is multiply the odds of getting one spot along its length too densely packed, screwing the whole thing up.

Not necessarily, I'd say. The difference between a "tall" and "short" bowl is only a half inch or thereabouts, and you've already sealed your smoke's fate by the judicious placement of the first pinch. I find it somewhat easier to test the density and uniformity of the pack in a narrow bowl. I just poke it downward with a fingertip, because there's not much room for anything else. If the tobacco seems not too springy and not too firm, then it must be just right, so bring on the charring light. But in a wider bowl I also poke around the edges and manipulate the charge horizontally, and I'm not entirely sure that all is well until I'm well underway.

I think a piper can smoke a flake in anything, but may feel more confident in one style pipe over another based on . . . well. a lot of things, I guess.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Quote :
So long as you're smoking (broken) flakes with their long axis parallel with the sides of the bowl (you know, smoking flakes in a flake pipe) . . .

Quote :
The difference between a "tall" and "short" bowl is only a half inch or thereabouts, and you've already sealed your smoke's fate by the judicious placement of the first pinch . . .

What's wrong with this picture ?

What a Face

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:56 pm

JPatrick wrote:
Stack pipes are not for everyone. My post was not aimed at the masses that is why I said " One pipe that I like to enjoy flakes in ....."
Never had burn problems in a Stack, but then again I have been packing and smoking them for years.

I haven't had a serious burn problem in any pipe (no matter the chamber) in quite a while, probably way back when I first re-started, maybe...those are largely packing issues mixed with tamping/smoking pace issues. Excess moisture/heat being the most insidious.

All of that can be dealt with easily-- eeking out flavor perfection, well that's a journey unto itself.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm

What's wrong with this picture ?

But the thing is that "flake" refers to the packaged form of the tobacco, and it can be just peeled off and stuffed, or thoroughly rubbed out, which makes it difficult to ID one style of pipe as always and forever, indoors or out, "best for flake." Personally, I like to rub flakes out only as much as needed to insert a ball of well-aerated tobacco in the chamber, an approach that accommodates most shapes, though I think Kyle is onto something with the implication that aged, well-worn taste buds will inevitably congregate toward narrower bowls which accentuate taste. But maybe not. What the hell.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Sirloin.

Ground Sirloin.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 pm

I've owned a couple of nice stacks in the past and they smoked very well with flakes. They just smoked long. I'd have to do an ash dump mid way, using the pick on my pipe tool to loosen the ash, then dump it, being careful not to disturb the remaining tobacco, then settle the remaining tobacco with the tamper before relighting.

But, it just turned out to be too long a smoke. Nothing wrong with them, they were engineered well enough, but they left me done before the tobacco was done. The shorter, narrow bowls just seem to be more practical. Still, I'd love to have a Castello Sea Rock 74 with stick bit, helluva cool looking stack Wink

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=71372

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Very Happy

http://www.tobacco-barn.com/p-12083-estate-castello-sea-rock-chimney.aspx

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:09 pm

I've seen em go in the $150 range on the Bay Yak. One of these days. Luckily, they're not terribly rare.

KevinM

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Yak wrote:
Sirloin.

Ground Sirloin.

What a Face

Haha. Clever fellow.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-- The late Warren Zevon, with but a few months to live, when asked if he had any parting wisdom for his fans Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-CASTELLO-SS-ARTISAN-COLLECTORS-SEA-ROCK-BRIAR-PIPE-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/390568480113?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D6757945463196465219%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D390568480113%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CASTELLO-SEA-ROCK-BRIAR-1-8-BENT-STACKED-BILLIARD-W-REG-NO-SHAPE-35-A-/360627147170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f70d91a2

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm watching that 74, but just out of curiosity. I'm not going to be buying for a while. It's a nice example.

Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Yak wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESTATE-CASTELLO-SS-ARTISAN-COLLECTORS-SEA-ROCK-BRIAR-PIPE-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/390568480113?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D6757945463196465219%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D390568480113%26

This one has one of those unusual reddish dots...
Caused by tobacco juice leaking through the stem into the foil "rhinestone"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:51 pm

On the high points of the rustication ?

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Yak wrote:
On the high points of the rustication ?

No, on the stem, which was inserted upside down. The "dot" is on the right side, and looks brownish/reddish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:27 pm

I was wondering if that was just lighting. The more modern white bar stems are preferable, they generally have (in my experience) better, more open airflow with better internal tapering towards the button. That one does have nice, older style fat carved rustication though.

Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:32 pm

This older thread was enlightening:
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t2595-a-castello-question?highlight=Castello
And I do like the rustication on that pipe as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Flake Pipes   Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:48 am

A lot of differences of opinion on what makes a good flake pipe. Some like a tall narrow bowl, and others like a wide short bowl, just a matter of preference. To me, a tall and narrow bowl does best with intact flakes. Dunhill started the group sizing thing, and it refers the the size of the chamber. A typical grp 5 has about a .75 in chamber, a grp 6 .80 or a bit larger, an ODA around an inch or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Flake Pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: