HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Here's the email I just got from senator Feinstein after I wrote to protest the tax proposal.

Thank you for writing me to express your opposition to the "Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2013." I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

I am concerned about the harmful effects that smoking and tobacco use have on Americans. The use of tobacco is the single-leading cause of cancer today and is estimated to account for nearly 30% of all cancer deaths. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in every five deaths in the United States is smoking-related. While smoking among adults declined by about 17% between 1965 and 1991, it has not declined further since 1991. Additionally, I am extremely alarmed by the continuous increases in teenage and childhood smoking and the effects of secondhand smoke.

On January 31, 2013, Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) introduced the "Tobacco Tax Parity Act" (S. 194). This legislation would increase the excise tax on pipe tobacco to make it equal to the tax on roll-your-own tobacco, which is $24.78 per pound. Please know that I will keep your opposition in mind should this or similar legislation come before me in the Senate.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. If you should have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:30 pm

B***ch. Evil or Very Mad

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Of note, no acknowledgement of the enormous difference between cigarettes and pipe tobacco. No concern for actual facts, just the typical media spin blurbs people love to accept.

MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Nope, as usual, just a form letter response like the one I got from my congressperson.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:12 pm

She follows whatever path will lead her to contributions. If these punitive measures go into effect, she can say to her constituent Do Gooders, "I stood up against Big Tobacco. Send me contributions." If not, she can say, "I fought until the bitter end against Big Tobacco. Our fight continues. Send me contributions." She's a money-grubbing, odd-looking zombie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I always reply to their with facts and telling them they need to embrace harm reduction.

Pipes, cigars, dip and chew are all less harmful than cigarettes. Snus and snuff as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 am

Durbin, Feinstein ...
Keep voting for Democrats. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:51 am

Hermit

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 am

puros_bran wrote:
The Solution

Wow, deja vu. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:10 am

I'm not sure any politician can take any other view of tobacco in any way other than Feinstein's. Cutting down to its knees all tobacco production and consumption of whatever form, cigarettes, pipes, etc. is the only acceptable political solution. This was the outcome of the suit against Big Tobacco. The world politicians, unfortunately, have closed ranks against us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Neil

Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:45 am

The tax on pipe tobacco will be increased to match Roll-Your-Own tax at less than $30 per pound. Living in Canada, I can't say I'm weeping for you right now. My tobacco tax on pipe tobacco is around $136.00 per pound.

That being said, I buy most of my tobacco from the states, so if your taxes go up, so do mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Hermit wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
The Solution

Wow, deja vu. Cool

You can say that again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Buckshot wrote:
Hermit wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
The Solution

Wow, deja vu. Cool

You can say that again!

Wow, deja vu. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:33 pm

BTW, how frustrating! Holy crap. How in the hell are we supposed to get anything done if even when we try we get handled like we're f**king children. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:57 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Buckshot wrote:
Hermit wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
The Solution

Wow, deja vu. Cool

You can say that again!

Wow, deja vu. Cool

You can say that again!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:03 pm

MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Holy Cow! It's Deja vu all over again!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:23 pm

That's my point...

Americans 'vote' (click whatever) for a bunch of jackass just because they claim to have a solution..
Considering I've never held office, never written tax policy, don't smoke, and don't live in California, I'm amazed anyone would even care to see my solution.. The even more amazing thing is I got a second term even after it was totally apparent my first was a total blundering waste of time and energy..and simply because I said (again) I have the solution.

That's American politics in a nutshell.. It doesn't matter which jackass we elect when at best they have no clue what they are doing and when at worst (as in my post) they are trying to force their ideas into your head.. and we still dutifully go click for their solution...

Hermit

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:29 pm

MisterE wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
Buckshot wrote:
Hermit wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
The Solution

Wow, deja vu. Cool

You can say that again!

Wow, deja vu. Cool

You can say that again!

Wow, deja vu. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:33 pm

puros_bran wrote:
That's my point...

Americans 'vote' (click whatever) for a bunch of jackass just because they claim to have a solution..
Considering I've never held office, never written tax policy, don't smoke, and don't live in California, I'm amazed anyone would even care to see my solution.. The even more amazing thing is I got a second term even after it was totally apparent my first was a total blundering waste of time and energy..and simply because I said (again) I have the solution.

That's American politics in a nutshell.. It doesn't matter which jackass we elect when at best they have no clue what they are doing and when at worst (as in my post) they are trying to force their ideas into your head.. and we still dutifully go click for their solution...

That phenomenon is not unique to America. What happens down here in terms of repeat incompetence/corruption makes the US version look like kids stuff.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm not intending this as a slam to any of our international brothers but it is worse in America. This nation was founded on the revolutionary idea that man ought to self govern himself. That the revolution was immediately usurped by men seeking to re-erect the elitist ruling class is inconsequential. The basic idea was born. There are people that propose that we have never been free in this nation and to that I can only say hogwash.. The forefathers at Lexington, Concord, Ft Ticonderoga, Chelsea Creek, Breeds Hill, Brandywine, Monmouth, Savannah, Camden, Cowpens, Yorktown..They weren't fighting for Philadelphia they were fighting for themselves, and before the men in Philadelphia usurped that power and began the long slow trudge into what we have now they were free. Freedom ... "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Argue that they held slaves, Argue that they didn't believe in God, argue whatever which way that's popular at the moment against what they said, their words are truth even if their actions weren't. THAT'S what the forefathers were fighting for.. Not some political hacks bought and paid for to tell us that we can't smoke, eat, drink, or anything else.. Life, Liberty, and the Persuit of happiness. Freedom.

We The People have allowed these evil men to erode that freedom for well over 200 years now bit by bit enslaving ourselves far worse than our forefathers were.. We squandered the dream and then argue over which man is going to harm us less. Not budging when they take our neighbors rights and freedoms but yell in protest when it's ours.. INSANITY.
If you want your pipe tobacco stand up for the cigarette smoker.. if the cigarette smoker wants his tobacco he needs to stand with the pothead. If the pothead wants his weed he needs to stand with the Gun rights guys. If the gun rights guys want their guns they need to stand with the 1st amendment libbys.. It's a circle, no.. a chain, and they burst another mans link and we turn our head. And they burst another's link and we turn our head. Then when they burst our link we scream moral outrage and act like it's unheard of.. I eloquently close with BULLSHIT.. A spade is a spade is a spade.

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Feinstein gets all hot and bothered at the mere mention of alcohol, tobacco or firearms. She just wants to be your nanny and keep you from hurting yourself.

You should really be wearing a helmet if you venture outside your house and away from your Orwellian mind control box (TV).
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Prognosis:

0% chance getting out of committee
0% chance of being enacted

Only 12% of Senate bills made it past committee and only 2% were enacted in 20112013.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s194
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 am

Democrat or Repulican...makes no difference. Got the same crap form letter from Marco (scumbag) Rubio so it is like they all get together to, make a form letter, and send it out. Still BULLS--T!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest   Wed May 01, 2013 12:30 pm

1. Send opinion to congress
2. Get back form letter
A. Doesn't address concern
B. Skirts topic then asks for donation
C. Ignores topic and constituent
D. Could save verbiage with simple extension of middle digit
Choice:

Back to top Go down

Dianne Feinstein's response to tobacco tax protest
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next