HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dunhill ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 am

There is someone selling new Dunhills on eBay right now, and all of the pipes are stamped:

Alfred
The White Spot
Dunhill's

Is this new?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Cumberland-Poker-Cherrywood-Pipe-5120-Brand-New-/290889603314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ba5f18f2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:47 am

From what I understand, that is the new nomenclature Dunhill is using.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 am

they changed it late in 2012, all Dunhills will have this nomenclature from now on
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 am

Ocelot55 wrote:

Interesting...
I wonder what they will rename the tobacco blends?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 am

Harlock999 wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

Interesting...
I wonder what they will rename the tobacco blends?
Thanks!

AD Ltd. has been directly out of the tobacco business for years. The Dunhill cigars (?), cigarettes and pipe tobacco are owned by big tobacco conglomerate BAT. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:59 am

Going after old Dunhills I understand; why anyone would buy the new ones is beyond my comprehension. They are worth, at best, half their price, and there are so many better marques out there. That they are deliberately downplaying their roots with their past tobacco history is alone enough to avoid their products. It's just a name on a can or piece of wood. And no, I don't think Nightcap is anything special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I actually have a 2012 Dunhill Chestnut at home. I'm pretty sure it does not have this new nomenclature, but I'll check when I get home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm

My newest Dunhill I got this year was made in 2009 so it does not have the new stampings. Dunhill as it was ceased to exist by the mid '90s when it was bought by Louis Vuiton Group and began to focus on high end mens clothing and accessories. The sold the tobacco part of the business to BAT at the turn of this century and all the tobacco products are marketed as "the White Spot" products now. You will NOT find ANY pipes, cigars or tobaccos in a Dunhill store any more , not even in London. You have to go next door to the "White Spot" shop for the tobscco stuff. The Dallas store doesn't even have a "White Spot" shop attached to it anymore so you can't buy 'bac or pipes here any more."Dunhill" pipes are still made in the same factory by the same folks but the firm as it was 20/30 years ago is no more . Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm

...and they're still relevant because they are the sole English producer of quality factory pipes that has survived the times. Yes the newer Dunhills are overpriced, but they're also as good as any Dunhills made, excepting the patent era perhaps. I have 4 that were made in the last decade, and they're all great pipes with great stems and they compare favorably to the many 50s and 60s era English pipes on my rack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 pm

....and with that they just made the oval Dunhill logo pipes slightly more more collectable. Laughing

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 pm

MisterE wrote:
....and with that they just made the oval Dunhill logo pipes slightly more more collectable. Laughing

agreed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:23 pm

The problem with that is their sheer abundance.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:31 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Dunhill as it was ceased to exist by the mid '90s when it was bought by Louis Vuiton Group and began to focus on high end mens clothing and accessories.
A lots of collectors say dunhill died in the 60's when they sold/merged into Carreras. They are now part of Richemont not LVH. AD survived to make it into the 60's because they diversified into accessories and trinkets for well healed people very early on. Mary Dunhill's book Our Family Business (a gift from Dunhill to CPCC table holders years ago) goes into detail about how pipes were an important but not very profitable part of the company. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 pm

I've never seriously considered buying a Dunhill. Boring. Paying consistently big bucks to buy a name. Engineering is mediocre at best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I've never seriously considered buying a Dunhill. Boring. Paying consistently big bucks to buy a name. Engineering is mediocre at best.

You just disqualified yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Fine by me. I'll save my money and buy better cheaper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 pm

sisyphus wrote:
alfredo_buscatti wrote:

You just disqualified yourself.

Well then, I bought a new Shell Briar from the Dunhill store in London back in '01. Paid some ridiculous price.

Lovely looking billiard. Fact was, it was the worst smoking pipe I've ever had!

The draw was so open, everything burned way hot no matter what my packing method. Seems to me they overdrilled the draft hole.

I got rid of it. Gonna be a looong time before I buy another Dunnie.

And while this might have been a problem with this one particular pipe, once bitten twice shy!

Mad

No disrespect to Dunhills or their owners. They seem to have a certain reputation and it's no doubt well founded.

This is only my experience.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:01 pm

I've only owned one Dunhill and it was a wonderful smoker (2002). A buddy on another forum has several hundred old Dunhills and has been buying the new White Spot Pipes about 2 per month. He's quite pleased with the new pipes (mostly Root Briar models) and says they are the equal to anything vintage. There are plenty of Dunhills I've found appealing, but I'll buy two Ashtons for that asking price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:27 pm

I own 6 Dunhills made over various decades: 1954, 1965, 1969, 1977, 2008, 2011. The older the Dunhill the better the quality, or at least that is my experience with my pipes. I bought a 2011 shell briar about a year ago. Nice looking pipe but stem is horribly thick and has tool marks. I spent $295 for it and it's a tiny group 2. Way too expensive. All are good smokers and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Dunhill from any year if the price was right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Harlock999

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
There is someone selling new Dunhills on eBay right now, and all of the pipes are stamped:

Alfred
The White Spot
Dunhill's

Is this new?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Cumberland-Poker-Cherrywood-Pipe-5120-Brand-New-/290889603314?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ba5f18f2

This, and all the other pipes listed by this seller are "no longer available"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill ?   Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:56 am

Wow, that #20 Cherrywood was lovely. Someone must have really like Dunhills to wipe out that ebay sellers inventory...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dunhill ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: