HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Missouri Meerschaum hardwood

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smokinokie

Registration date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Has anyone else tried the hardwood pipes from M.M.? Just got a maple bent diplomat and I am impressed, for a pipe that cost me less than 10 bucks it is an outstanding performer. Admittedly it looks like a $9.00 pipe, but smokes like one that cost a couple hundred.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:57 am

I've got one and it's a pretty good smoker, not bad at all for a chunk of Birch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 pm

If you're referring to one of the new ones MM introduced recently, no. I want one (or two), but I'm hoping my local Tinder Box gets them soon so I can try and be a good customer before I jaunt off to the Internets.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isagar

Registration date : 2013-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:33 am

I bought 2 of the new hardwood pipes from MM about a month ago and they're both excellent smokers. I have smoked both of them over a dozen times now and personally I find them smokes better than a typical cob. The biggest upside of them is that they cost the same as a cob but looks way more classy.

With that said however, the varnish scent from the finish is 'extremely' strong and unpleasant when new and a deep sniff will probably give me a brief light headiness. The majority of the smell does disappear after about 3 smokes but even then, if you smell the bowl, it just doesn't smell as 'natural' as a cob or briar.

Still, for 4 dollars or so, you can't go wrong and a definite steal.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 pm

I've thought about getting one, but wasn't sure about how they smoke. I only use cobs for testing and keep one in rotation for my regular burley.

Have you tried burleys in these? Same, better, or worse?

The price from mm also went up I see. $14?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 pm

bentbulldog wrote:
I've thought about getting one, but wasn't sure about how they smoke. I only use cobs for testing and keep one in rotation for my regular burley.

Have you tried burleys in these? Same, better, or worse?

The price from mm also went up I see. $14?

I've only smoked english and aromatics with them. IMO english fared better when compared.

They're still on smokingpipes.com for just over 4 dollars
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Keep in mind there are two different lines of hardwood pipes now offered by MM.

One is their original Ozark Mountain, and is a $5 (+/-) pipe, straight or bent stem. Basic, no-frills and is-what-it-is.

http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/ozark-mountain-hardwood-pipe.html

The other is a new release, has a bit more attention to craftsmanship, quality and detail, and is a $15 (+/-) pipe, available in three styles with either bent or straight stems as an option.

http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/country-gentleman-maple-hardwood-pipe.html

The latter is the one I'm aiming for to try out, personally. A quality pipe at half the basket-pipe price? Sounds good to me.

Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:06 am

Hmm I wasn't aware of the new release from MM but judging from the photo, I can say that it would be free from the varnish scent of the original ozark mountain pipe.

Also, I find it amusing that pipesandcigar.com has the new maple wood ones for only $8 dollars but mm.com is $13+
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 am

Isagar wrote:
Hmm I wasn't aware of the new release from MM but judging from the photo, I can say that it would be free from the varnish scent of the original ozark mountain pipe.

Also, I find it amusing that pipesandcigar.com has the new maple wood ones for only $8 dollars but mm.com is $13+

MM can't very well undercut their retialers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 am

tiltjlp wrote:
Isagar wrote:

MM can't very well undercut their retialers.

No I don't expect them to undercut the retailers, but they should at least match it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 am

No.

Situations vary. Some outfits have to charge a lot more just to cover overhead. If they undercut those prices, the places with higher expenses stop carrying their stuff.

Direct prices are always higher when there are other outfits retailing the same stuff.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 am

I prefer the Diplomat version over the others. Cool

Maybe I need to get an order together and add a couple to the stable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I ain't gonna squawk over a few bucks, usually I just care how I can get to $100 for free shipping, if it's offered. Laughing I'll probably order them through Mars when Mike gets them in, anyway. I like his outfit.

Rob, the Diplomat with straight stem is what I was thinkin'. Spool shapes never really appealed to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Rob, the Diplomat with straight stem is what I was thinkin'. Spool shapes never really appealed to me.

Right on, Brother, cheers though I'll probably get 1 of each (straight and bent).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 am

I've read a few people say they smoke hot, but that would be no surprise to me. Every hardwood I have tried was a hot smoker. You may have better luck with hardwoods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 pm

The new hardwoods, from my angle, look like they're a bit thinner at the walls, so a "hot pipe" would soon follow. Good pipe for folks used to chuggin' like a choo-choo to slow down a bit with a handy reminder such as that. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MissouriSmoker

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:41 am

Hello first time poster here. I have a question about the Ozark Mountain Hardwood Pipe cherry finish bent pipe. I recently took it apart and found some kind of paper roll insert should i take that out before use. Is it some kind of choke for a harder draw or is it there just for shipping to protect it. Any help would be much appericated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:12 am

MissouriSmoker wrote:
Hello first time poster here. I have a question about the Ozark Mountain Hardwood Pipe cherry finish bent pipe. I recently took it apart and found some kind of paper roll insert should i take that out before use. Is it some kind of choke for a harder draw or is it there just for shipping to protect it. Any help would be much appericated.

It's a filter which I always discard without even trying it!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Missouri Meerschaum hardwood   Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 pm

I have several maple "cobs" which I like very well. Don't remember where I got'em; but I sure do enjoy smoking them!!!!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Missouri Meerschaum hardwood
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1