HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Vinyl LP Player?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Vinyl LP Player?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 pm

So Mr. Van Winkle has begun to stir himself and wonders how he might play those vinyl LPs he's had down in the "entertainment room" for the past three decades.

I'd like to find the modern equivalent of the old suitcase style record player, if such a thing exists nowadays. I did find something that looks suitable manufactured by Crosby, and wonder if any of you might use this product or have another recommendation.

I could just get a turntable and hook it up to the teevee, but portability is appealing. I can picture myself out on the deck on a summer evening, a Coltrane or Mingus 33 1/3 album playing, pipe alight and a supply of cold, cheap beer at hand.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl LP Player?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Avoid the Crosby and it's lookalikes. They really are pretty terrible. There used to be some decent suitcase players made. But they would need servicing to be usable today.

You could put together a nice system for reasonable costs. Just takes some research.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl LP Player?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm

wireless speakers.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James Kime

Registration date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl LP Player?   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Try E-bay. The older Technics are still good quality and you can buy upgraded phono cartridges and new needles online.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
edlye

Registration date : 2012-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Vinyl LP Player?   Fri May 24, 2013 1:51 pm

The Numark PT01 is a modern rugged little traveller that works on battery power (6 'D' cells or just use AAs with 'D' adapters) with its own speaker, headphone output and line output. Pair it with a Nagaoka vinyl dust roller and a bottle of water and you'll spend hours at the flea market trying to pick out gems from the chaff. This model was discontinued and replaced with the PT01USB which has a USB connector for needle dropping fiends, I'm sure you'll find both available as second-hand purchases. Or you could just go with the Crosleys...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Vinyl LP Player?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1