HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Resting Pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
derrickyoung

Registration date : 2013-04-14

PostSubject: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:41 am

Okay i have seen this talked about all over the Internet and opinions as varied as Religion and politics. But I wonder what the consensuses is here at BoB.

I have 7 or 8 pipes in my rotation/collection. Which up until recently was enough (yeah yeah I know your laughing at me) as I only smoked 1-2 bowls a day. But right now I am running some heavy equipment on a job where I can smoke a little more frequently. It may be that I am just more comfortable with the image of me being a pipe smoker so ore willing to do it. But that is another thread another time. The end result is I am smoking a pipe at work all day or at least as much as I can.

Do I need to rest pipes for days? Am I good smoking 1 pipe like a champ all day then leaving it for a week. What do you Brothers feel.

I know adding some pipes would be the easy solution. But I made a poor decision to get a couple of "nice" pipes back in the winter. Short end of that story is I am out $600.00 and still have the same 7-8 pipes. So my PAD budget is pretty much gone for awhile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derrickyoung

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 am

I should add the reason for this even coming up is I have Leather wrapped jeantet Bulldog that seems to be getting a little wet and soft in the bottom of the bowl. I was not smoking it to much (once a day maybe twice) and the last couple of smokes the bottom of the bowl the briar seemed to be getting very moist and almost soft.

It may have been what I was smoking and just coincidence so I have pulled that from use for the time being to see if I can dry it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 am

My briar pipes rest at least 24 or more hours between every bowl. I also don't have that many briar pipes, only 7, but I have a handful of MM cobs, 4 in rotation right now and 5 sitting aside ready to be put to work. Cobs are also great for work because they are cheap. If you work outside or do a job where your pipe might get damaged then it's not a big deal because it was $10 or less.
Missouri Meerschaum pipes are a cheap way to give your nice briars a rest.

http://corncobpipe.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:28 am

There are many opinions about resting the pipe ranging from no rest to a week of rest--the latter after having smoked one bowl. On the one hand briar is a very dense wood that can withstand the heat of combustion, thus hardy, thus no rest. On the other even if the pipe doesn't gurgle, combustion typically leaves condensate in the bottom of the bowl. Wouldn't rest help dispatch that? Pick one, practice it and evaluate the results.

(I rest my pipes for 24 hours after one smoke. One of my neighbors rests his for 72 hours and the other only has one pipe.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:47 am

I have to do it, I'm sorry, talking about cobs has made me need to post this.....

((cob love))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derrickyoung

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:45 am

I have my first cob and am smoking it now. Not sure what have think yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:51 am

I usually only smoke one bowl from one of my pipes, before giving it a thorough cleaning. Once cleaned, I let the pipe dry for a week, before inserting the stem, and placing it back in the rack. This seems to provide me with the best performance I can get from my pipes, provided that I dry my tobacco properly before smoking.

I'm not sure if it is purely psychological, but I seem to get more steam bite from my pipes, when I smoke two bowls from the same pipe, within a 24hr period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 am

Well, I don't know what works best for you, but I'll tell you what I do. I'll smoke a pipe no more than twice a day unless I'm breaking it in. Usually these smokes are spaced at least several hours apart and I make sure I thoroughly swab the moisture out of the pipe after the first smoke.

After that I'll let the pipe rest a minimum of 48 hrs. This may vary based on the pipe, the blend I smoked out of it, and whether I smoked it once or twice. Remember the goal here is to make sure the briar is dry enough to smoke again without producing a wet, steaming, mess, of tobacco. I've had some pipes that just seemed to smoke dry no matter what. One that I made seemed to always smoke dry no matter how many times I smoked it or how often. Lately that has changed, but I'd expect it to.

I don't really have a "rotation" but with over 100 pipes it typically takes me at least a week before I pick up the same pipe again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:55 am

I rest my pipes. That said, I agree with the recommendations of buying a couple of cobs for work. Excellent smoking pipes excellent pipes for the price, and if one breaks you are not out much. Save the briars for smoking at home!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derrickyoung

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 pm

thank you for all the advice. It seems that if I wish to smoke as much as I want I should add a few more pipes whether they be briar or cobs.

I just had a bowl of altadis black and gold and am thinking that might be what left the jeantet a sloppy mess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:14 pm

I agree that the cheap, lovable, low-maint cob is the way to go for smoking while working. Not sure why your current briar is getting a soft area. My bias is that leather covered pipes smoke hot and don't have good briar to start with, otherwise they wouldn't be given a cover up. Just my .02, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HCraven

Registration date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm

derrickyoung wrote:
I have my first cob and am smoking it now. Not sure what have think yet.
They might taste a little corny at first, so give it a few smokes before you judge it. Like others here, I think cobs are a very good choice in your particular situation.

With respect to resting my pipes, I only smoke a bowl or two a day, usually at home, and I have enough pipes that I don't really have to think about it much. Sometimes a pipe may only get a day or two to rest, but most of them wind up with at least a week off between smokes. I don't really notice a difference either way, but most things I smoke in them aren't wet or goopy, and I think it takes more than one smoke a day for a pipe to start getting a wet heel anyway.

On the occasion that I plan on taking a pipe along and smoking more than one bowl, I tend to favor my Falcon. It's a rugged pipe, and any potential moisture problems are all but eliminated by the design. Of course that's a double edged sword: even the dryest tobaccos precipitate moisture while burning, and at least for me that means breaking down the pipe and swabbing the humidome after every smoke. It's not a really big deal, but I have to remember to remove the bowl before dumping the ash, otherwise all that nastiness gets absorbed by the bottom of the briar bowl, and kind of defeats the purpose. If I were to smoke the pipe several times every day, I think I'd still buy a couple of interchangeable bowls and rotate them, as some moisture does still get absorbed by the briar, and I'd give the stem a good cleaning with alcohol every night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 pm

No two pipes are the same, as no two smokers (or smoking method) is the same.

Therefore, there can be no resting rules.

Me? I let the pipes tell me. Two seemingly similar pipes can be smoked possibly four times in a day, and one will be good to go in 12 hours, the other still holds on to moisture and gets swampy. Hard-and-fast rules then would not apply. Cobs are a good thing to bring up, as I dig 'em. They do seem to hold on to moisture a bit more, but they also dry out pretty quickly.

Then there's the often-overlooked fact of where you live--a dry area (0% - 30% humidity) moderate (31% - 60% humidity) or outright damp (61% and above). Humidity itself fluctuates, day-to-day as well. In Nevada, I can "rest" (dry) a pipe in half a day, sometimes. Someone in southern Texas in August might need the whole week to dry a pipe out.

Factors and variables a just a part of pipe smoking. Rules are more a generalization. Be mindful, reasonable and observant; find what works for you and each pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derrickyoung

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:43 pm

thank you for all the advice. It seems that if I wish to smoke as much as I want I should add a few more pipes whether they be briar or cobs.

I just had a bowl of altadis black and gold and am thinking that might be what left the jeantet a sloppy mess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
derrickyoung

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:50 pm

derrickyoung wrote:

Affirmative. Hopefully your job won't look at you funny when you unroll a set of pipes for work like a chef unfurling his knives. Laughing

Smoke quality. Smoke slow. Smoke well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Meh I look at my rack see what looks nice and pick her up. Could be there weeks could be there a day. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:52 am

I think a lot of it has to do with how well the briar is cured. Unfortunately, that usually translates into money spent. My good pipes go 3-4 back to back bowls with no ill effects, then rest a few days, I think a week is a bit of overkill. My less expensive pipes are at most two bowl pipes, then are wet and bitter. I know that is a gross generalization, and there are exceptions, but that is my experience. I think a decent alternative is a Falcon, and carry 2-3 bowls with you. They are pretty good smokers, once broken in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:24 pm

I have a large number of pipes and large number of blends I like to smoke. I've gotten into the habit of not smoking the same tobacco twice in row ( I didn't used to be that way; used to only smoke three or four blends). I don't smoke the same pipe more than once a day either and I give a pipe time to rest. I'm a fairly dry smoker, and I have some very sturdy pipes, but I like to give them time to dry anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:16 pm

I am in the camp that believes a briar pipe needs to rest to have it perform at it's optimum. I will smoke one bowl in a pipe and then let it rest for at least one day but usually more as I have enough pipes to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm

cigrmaster wrote:
I am in the camp that believes a briar pipe needs to rest to have it perform at it's optimum. I will smoke one bowl in a pipe and then let it rest for at least one day but usually more as I have enough pipes to do that.

This. It's how I was taught to smoke and have done for decades. As you aquire more pipes it get's easier to do this and you can smoke more bowls in a day Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Resting Pipes   Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Pipe resting is good for both pipes and smokers.

How much depends.

More pipes = longer rests is good.

Smoking less often = longer rests is also good.

Either way works.

Take good care of your pipes and your pipes will take good care of you I love you

What a Face
Back to top Go down

Resting Pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1