HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Stupid Earthquakes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Stupid Earthquakes   Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 am

I have no clue in heck how you folks who live in California can stomach earthquakes. I experienced my first one today and am happy to just deal with the snow and flooding. Darn thing was only a 5.7 and shook the crud out of the darn Afghani built building I was in...which I rapidly vacated only to find myself between two Afghani built buildings in a narrow passage. It was 16 miles north of Jalalabad which is really stinking close to where I am. First I though it was just a big truck, but then it got bigger. You West coasters have more cojones than I do to live in the midst of those stupid things.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/quake-in-afghanistan-tremors-felt-in-pakistan-north-india-358316
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:42 am

Be safe brother!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boulderandbriar.com
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 am

They are just not as often as tornadoes and hurricanes in the east. So, we are used to them especially the small ones. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 am

Temblores are a way of life down here. We lost power on Sunday when the neighborhood power main exploded from a minor quake. Luckily, after the big one in '85, the response times by authorities is almost instant.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 pm

It's a trip when you see stuff in the room start swaying, isn't it ? Cool Laughing

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Hey, Cali ain't the only one that rocks'n'rolls to that music; Nevada and Alaska get plenty of 'em too. My apartment complex is built right above a major fault intersection, and a few years ago we had a swarm of about 30 3.0 - 4.5 quakes a day for two weeks. Laughing Just tacked down the breakable stuff and rode 'em out. :shrug: What'ev. My building's probably a bit more sound than mud huts in Afghanistan, though. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Never experienced one. Pretty sure I'd loose my s#(* I like my ground nice and stable and my natural disasters predictable. Shocked Hurricanes don't scare me, they are just a way of life here and you know when they are coming. If it's a big one, get the hell out of dodge, small ones you just ride out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 pm

I'd rather ride the typical western earthquake than deal with the weather crazy folks in the rest of the country deal with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:46 am

gravel wrote:
I'd rather ride the typical western earthquake than deal with the weather crazy folks in the rest of the country deal with.

Yes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 am

As much as lots of snow bothers me, I'll keep the Mississippi River floods and snow over the feeling of the earth under me shaking for no reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Stupid Earthquakes   Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
gravel wrote:

Yes!

Hear, hear. cheers Though I do have to giggle when I overhear ill-prepared Californians getting "caught in a blizzard" in Reno. (Translation: a few snowflakes were falling and it was 30F) Laughing

Just ask Pee Dee. Razz

We have the nicest winters in the US, if you ask me. They're still winter, but nothing like northern Minnesnowta, or something up towards Canukistan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Stupid Earthquakes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1