HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Nosewarmers....or not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Isagar

Registration date : 2013-04-15

PostSubject: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:48 pm

I saw this nosewarmer that i kinda dig, but i'm not sure how much i would actually appreciate it's stubby profile. (I don't own any stubby pipes)
The length is 11.6 cm (4.55 inches) so its not an ultra short pipe, but the bowl is big and takes up nearly half the total length.

Any nosewarmer lover out there that can tell me some good reason for it? Other than the fact that it warms ur nose on a cold day lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Isagar, I absolutely love smoking these little pipes, and as you will find, they smoke just as cool as the majority of 5 to 7 inch long pipes. Here is a blog you may enjoy reading from one of our own here on BoB.....

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=31
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:16 pm

The more time goes on, the more I come to prefer smaller, shorter pipes (under 6"). (Dream pipe : http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t23128-at-last Cool )

This may or may not be related to crack heads preferring shorter and shorter crack pipes over time.

The narc who told me this, years ago, said he could about tell how long a crack head had been one by how short his pipe's stem was. He figured they wanted to snuggle up as close to their rocks as they could. So much so he figured they must be singing their lips after a while, from them being right up against the bowls.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Here are a few of my nosewarmers.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm not a big fan of these pipes as they ".... just don't look right" to my eyes. Most seem to have bowls out of proportion to the shank/stem length, JMHO Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:47 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of these pipes as they ".... just don't look right" to my eyes. Most seem to have bowls out of proportion to the shank/stem length, JMHO Twisted Evil

I think that's part of their appeal.
Kind of like the out of proportion head size of an infant,
or puppy eyes...
Or super deformed Japanese mecha toys.
They just look kind of cute. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HCraven

Registration date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:50 pm

I think there are many beautiful examples out there these days, such as Dutch's collection above, but my personal taste leans toward longer pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 pm

monbla256 wrote:

I agree in principle. Yet Dutch's pics are pretty agreeable to me as well.

Don't think I'll be buying a nosewarmer anytime soon though.

That said, my Tinsky '12 Xmas pipe might be considered a nosewarmer and I like it just fine........

rabbit

HCraven wrote:
I think there are many beautiful examples out there these days, such as Dutch's collection above, but my personal taste leans toward longer pipes.

This.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Boswell makes good nosewarmers, and while mine is a TAAAD bigger than what is considered one, it would be hard to tell that it wasn't if you saw it.
I like mine though I don't think I'd buy more than I already have now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isagar

Registration date : 2013-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 pm

I think the issue is that i have never personally seen or touched a nosewarmer 'in person'.
90% of the times, the pipes i bought online looks better in person than on photos.

Dutch, when the junebug first came out, i was contemplating about buying one but the price was a bit too steep on a pipe shape I donno if i like or not.
I think i'll buy the nosewarmer, I actually dreamt about it last night LOL, that's gotta be saying something
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 pm

The short small pipe idea is one that I like, I have a couple, though mine are small all over (Stanwell Featherweight). The current trend is for chubby, fat short pipes which (I believe) is spawned from the almost cult-like following of the highly sought after Castello shape 10. The thick bit-end of the stem is what seems to be in question here, not so much the idea of a short pipe. While I personally don't really enjoy thick bits, I'd love to have a Castello 10, I think they're very stylish and appealing, as are some of the other chubbies, like the Pease/Radice June Bug.

As Dutch pointed out, the saddle bit offers the cure for the dislike of thick bits on short pipes. You can still have chunkiness while being able to comfortably clench with a saddle bit. Those fat nosewarmers do look cool, but they look like they'd be uncomfortable to smoke if you had to remove your hands even for a moment. But, who knows, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 am

I like short chubby pipes, but generally not shorter than 4.75 in. It's strictly a matter of aesthetics. Tobacco burns at several hundred degrees. The inch or two difference is not going to cool the smoke to a degree you can notice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:22 am

I have one, a Radice that smokes quite well. It doesn't smoke any cooler or hotter than my other more traditional pipes. I've always found this size/shape somewhat compelling and fell into this one. I really like the Pease Junebug pipe but wiffed on a few estate deals sold here by not moving fast enough.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 am

I like 'em. I like the way they look and the way they feel. I think there's a time an place for most kinds of pipe shapes. Most of them are like the little dog who has been fed to much, pretty pudgy and still kind of cute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Quote :
The inch or two difference is not going to cool the smoke to a degree you can notice.

You might be right, if you're going by a thermometer measurement.

I still have my first "real" (non magazine & tobacco shop) pipe -- a little (4.25") Bolo pipe ;
meerschaum-lined rusticated briar, which I smoke sometimes & enjoy.

The smoke from it may not be warmer (maybe it only seems like it is ?), but it's more something
that's noticeable, and pleasantly so. "Vivid" might be one way to put it. Or richer/rounder.

Looking back, it's been at the root of the gradual drift here away from "full size" pipes to
those enough under six inches to notice, with narrower (ideally, 13/16") chambers.

FWIW

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:49 pm

This is my only Chubby, but it smokes like a champ.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
This is my only Chubby

Sorry to hear about yer luck.

joemelon

Registration date : 2012-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 pm

I've got five, three I smoke regularly which are a Ropp and Kriswill and a MM cobb with a nosewarmer Forever Stem:

The other two are a Lloyd's that looks like a smaller version of a Big Ben Ranger and a small dublin with a saddlebit stem marked "Opera."

All are good smokers, but the three pictured are my favorites. Love that they can easily be slipped into the pocket. The first two pictured I actually carried with me in New Orleans during Mardi Gras last year in one of my front jean pockets. Hardly noticeable and I can't think of an easier way to carry two pipes on your person.

I think a short, chubby pipe or two are a worthwhile investment and mine definitely hold a special place in my collection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Love the look, when done right, but I would never opt for one, because I'm not a fan of smoke in my eyes/face as it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:53 pm

i've got a castello 10, a radice junebug, and a dublin i've made. i'll be buying more castello 10's and probably another junebug, as well as an aerobilliard or this awesome little canted chubby pipe he does. i think they are wonderful. they look great, fit in a pocket, and i get more compliments on my little chubby friends then any other pipe. plus they are really fun to make.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:25 pm

As pipes get smaller, it's harder to keep some sense of proportion in them. To my eye, anything that's much below 5" looks like a pipe that's had a makeshift repair. But a fly fishing chum has a briar that isn't much more that a bowl and a bit. Says it keeps the noseeums away. Seems to keep the trout away, too cheers (He get really POed when I mentioned that.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Guys: I can't stop myself from buying GBD 9438's.....so I need to clear some rack room and raise some cash. I just listed my Radice on Ebay as a BIN ($95 plus shipping), but I'll offer it here for $90 shipped to the CONUS. PM me if interested.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Rob_In_MO wrote:
This is my only Chubby

Sorry to hear about yer luck.

Yeah, tell me about it... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Nosewarmers....or not?   Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 am

That is a beautiful pipe (the last one), Dutch. Gorgeous grain!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Nosewarmers....or not?   Wed May 01, 2013 11:57 am

Part of the appeal of the nose warmer is the tendancy of the smoke to rise directly into the nose. It supposedly gives a fuller experience of the tobacco. You can also get the same effect with the full bent pipes. I only have one that would qualify as a nose warmer. It's a Roland Amberloid from the late 1800's or very early 1900's. it's only 4 inches total.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Nosewarmers....or not?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: