HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Crappy pipe challenge winner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Crappy pipe challenge winner   Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 pm

A few months back our own Sasquatch very generously had a contest to see if he could improve a seriously crappy pipe. I was lucky enough to be chosen for this with a Roland Amberloid pipe from the late 1800's-or very early 1900's. it's an extremely small 3/4 bent pipe just 4 inches stem to stern. He made what modifications he could to it which included shortening the tennon, and opening up the draft hole in the stummel. I got the pipe back quite a while ago and have been putting it through its paces. This pipe gurgled like a drowning victim and no matter how slowly it was smoked scalded the hell out of your mouth with steam. I have to say that the improvement in its function is unbelievable. I have smoked excessively dry, and very moist bowls of Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew in it with no issues at all other than the bowl will get quite warm! I am amazed at how much better she behaves. I firmly believe that Sasquatch is a man of supreme talent and I can't thank him enough for what he did! This pipe sat in a drawer for 10 years because it was so unpleasant to smoke, now it's back in my regular rotation. I couldn't be more pleased with the work done! Thank you Todd! If you have the opportunity to get one of Todd's pipes I'm sure you will be more than pleased with it!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Crappy pipe challenge winner   Wed May 01, 2013 11:57 am

Yay for Todd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Crappy pipe challenge winner   Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Anybody who can make one of those things smoke even decently is really doing something !

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Crappy pipe challenge winner   Wed May 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Forgive my ignorance... what's a "Roland Amberloid?" Are they notorious for smoking like crap?

:shrug:

Glad Sas tuned it up, though. Very Happy I ought to send in my cursed Nording freehand...all of my tricks and voodoo failed on that (*&!@#!! pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Crappy pipe challenge winner   Wed May 01, 2013 3:10 pm

PICS!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Crappy pipe challenge winner   Wed May 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Kyle Roland was one of many small manufacturers at the turn of the century. It's performance problems were likely due to a combination of improper drilling (very small draft hole) and repairs that were improperly exicuted. The tennon appears to be a replacement of hand carved bone that was too long and cause airflow problems. The Amberloid part is the stem its a very early type of plastic quite hard too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Crappy pipe challenge winner   Wed May 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah I really should have stipulated that the pipe be of even halfway normal size and regular materials.

This one just about beat me because I ordinarily drill the airway bigger than the entire diameter of the tenon on this pipe, so lots of stuff went out the window.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

PostSubject: Re: Crappy pipe challenge winner   Wed May 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Todd you may not have been able to do the work you wanted to but what you did still rescued this old pipe and now has it back into regular rotation. It may never be a stellar smoker but at least it's a decent smoker now and for that I thank you sir!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Crappy pipe challenge winner
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1