HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Tue May 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Thank you Scotties. We used to do the gulf thing, but haven't done it for several years, and I really don't want to see it after the big spill. Your mom is one lucky lady to have that access. Good chicken, beef, pork, and freshwater fish are easy enough, but the ocean critters are hard to get fresh. I've been considering a trip to the eastern seaboard just to eat seafood this Autumn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Tue May 28, 2013 11:53 pm

So - Mo's is a family tradition...I think for everyone in the state. You can buy the concentrate fresh frozen in many grocery stores all over. Amazing? No, not really. People buy it like crazy. Note the comments below re lamb.

PS: add salad shrimp to the chowder and you have Slumgullion. Add Dungeness crab and you have heaven in a bowl. Much as I love Salmon in most of its forms, for me it's all about Halibut and Dungeness Crab.

Oh, and by the way...here's a link to Mo's recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/mos-clam-chowder-270792

Can't get lamb here either, except in the largest butcher shops. I asked a guy in the smaller place close to where I live and he said they don't carry it cause people don't buy it and to keep it on hand for an occasional purchase was so expensive for him, he couldn't afford to do it. There are neighborhoods here and there with an ethnic population of the right mix that it will sell more regularly, and I guess that's what it takes. I think it's a damn shame, lamb is a favorite of mine. Guess who's the only one in the house that will eat it. Yup.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 12:07 am

Also Scotties22, if you're not up to making your own chowder...just order it online...or the tuna! Note the recipe section on her website as well. Pretty good Cioppino recipe.

But here's where to order the chowder. God bless the Internet.

http://www.moschowder.com/c216-chowder-and-tuna.php

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 12:09 am

Does this look remotely interesting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 12:26 am

Is that a coat hanger in there?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 12:29 am

Whoops.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 12:36 am

Take off set for first thing in the morning.
Had a poop storm of a day that culminated with my truck not starting. Tracked down a badly worn grounding strap but it was 10pm by the time I got it repaired.
I will never get my shuriken back at this rate. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 8:15 am

Take off scheduled for this afternoon.

BH, I've tried to concentrate and making my own. Both come out okay. There is just something about sitting there with the garage door rolled up eating a huge cannon ball of soup and watching people pass....makes it too great to try to make at home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 9:57 am

We like the places they have at both the Taft Dock (So. Lincoln City) and Devil's Punchbowl just North of Beverly Beach. The Taft one is good cause you can fish for crab off the dock and if it's 'on' you can fill a big pot with water (indulge in the appropriate amount of bickering regarding the proper mix of fresh to salt water for cooking) and get a driftwood fire going and cook 'em there on the beach (note: ALL beaches are public in Oregon, and beach access cannot be blocked by private construction) and if the fishing isn't so hot, there's Mo's.

Ahhhh, beach cooked crab, a baguette with fresh Brie and a bottle of ice cold beer. That spells summer to me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 10:34 am

I might need to come have summer with you

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 10:57 am

Was it Asimov...or Bradbury...?

"All Summer in a Day" Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 am

Well came to view and see what was going on and ended up drooling so bad my pipe gurgles like the one for bubbles. Have to try that chowder soon. Have some cans of clams on the shelf.

Grill/smoking is one of my enjoyments. I like to pick up those whole pork loins on sale and process them in this: http://www.bbqaddicts.com/grills-smokers/char-griller-grills/cg013.php It can really put out the smoke and the temp with the attached firebox stays low.

I used various marinades but lately just salt it the day before and then wipe of the salt residue. I have apple trees and use that exclusively. It is a sublime smoke. I don't smoke it like I would a shoulder. I smoke and either remove to later finish in the oven or leave it until it would normally be done. It isn't for meal fare as much as cold sandwiches. I slice it paper thin and mound it on a nice piece of buttered bread or roll. Ends up being cheaper than lunch meat and vastly superior. I used to do them on a Weber but it finally just fell apart and I got this.

The best ever for me is Lake Trout. There were any number of fish stores that sold lake produce. They are hard to find these days. Lake trout is white meat but almost as large as smaller salmon -- very delicate. Again a simple salt rub instead of adding flavor. It is so delicate and heavenly with just a mild, fruit wood smoke.

I too love lamb and chops on the grill are sublime. The mention of cost is right on but meat prices in general have soared. Instead of tasty meats we get ethanol for the cars. One of the last slaughter companies around in Chicago specializes in lamb and there are some tasty bits when one splurges a bit. But, even the secondary cuts are pretty pricey.

So, tobacco and now food and grilling. What are you sinners going to lead me astray on next. Wines? LOL
Back to top Go down
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Don't get me started on wine. We are finishing the basement this year and this was the first thing that was finished.
Completely wrapped in moisture barrier, cooled and humidified and that is an exterior door on it. It is it's own little micro-climate inside our house. Needless to say my husband is a little anal about his wine.....and cigars.

The second picture shows our collection of Sam Adams Utopias.......yummy. We've opened one bottle. It's beer, but really it's like congac. Good stuff.

Here's the humidor....

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 pm

Both 'fixtures' look stellar.

Is the Sam Adams brew something like Barleywine? Portland is a major brewing hot spot and the region in general is strong in that regard. A large number of brewers from large to the local craft brewers do one or more batches of Barleywine every year. Heady stuff. I usually go for the crisp IPA's in the Summer (or a good ol' Coors longneck) and in the Winter it's Imperial Ale, the stronger the better. It's amazing how the flavors change as the Imperial changes temperature down the bottle.

But the converted antique humidor cabinet has me thinking hard. We have an old curved glass curio cabinet about the same size that would make a great one. Hmmm.

BTW: I think your blade is due in today!

And another BTW for your hubby. Show him these or just buy them for Father's Day...stainless steel 'corn forks' the are REALLY sharp and make the absolutely perfect cigar nubber. And at a dozen for under ten bucks ya just can't beat 'em!

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=57159&cat=2,40733,47775,57159

Also great handouts for his next cigar party!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 2:56 pm

It's not like Barleywine at all. It's really wierd stuff. It is beer, techincally. But, it is thick and syrupy and has all the characteristics of a good Brandy or Congac. They brew it with a special champaigne yeast and the alcohol content is through the roof. If you ever run across a bottle you should try it (mind you they run $150 in the store if you are lucky enought to find one when it releases every two years). Every once in a while I will find a restuarant that has a bottle on the shelf (but again, we are talking crazy expensive places that like to charge a mint to eat there).
Back to top Go down
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Nice wine cellar & very nice collection of Utopias Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 pm

@scotties22

Anal? Maybe

Obsessed? Definately Razz
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 5:03 pm

So...when are you gonna have us all over, Scottie?

In other news:

DC#s are still coming in. Please get those to me ASAP!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
scotties22

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Wed May 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Had things played out differently with the baby I would have everyone over while in town for the show.

I totally forgot to put my box in the mail today Embarassed ...gonna be a day late. Will get you the DC in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 am

Scotties22 totally has her priorities messed up. Babies will do that to you.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Thu May 30, 2013 3:13 pm

bomb is running behind. wrecked my car, followed by a family emergency. everyone is safe and healthy, no worries there, just gets in the way of my destruction Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Thu May 30, 2013 3:39 pm

--UPDATE--

Pilots that need to send DC#s:
1. ikeenum
2. George Kaplan
3. leftover421
5. awoodby
6. zjgilbert
7. blr1911
8. somedumbjerk

Some of you guys have alerted me to your situations and why you haven't sent in the DC# yet. That's fine. This is just a reminder.

Bombing day is tomorrow!!! I can't wait to see the devestation! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Thu May 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Bomb sent yesterday. Will get you dc asap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Thu May 30, 2013 6:04 pm

A funny thing happened to me today.
I got home from a rough day at work to find three suspicious packages on my doorstep.

At this point I am going to assume it is friendly fire and hunker down....

Todd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!    Thu May 30, 2013 8:52 pm

taharris wrote:
A funny thing happened to me today.
I got home from a rough day at work to find three suspicious packages on my doorstep.

At this point I am going to assume it is friendly fire and hunker down....

Todd

It appears that I am in the same boat. Here on the left coast we call it "duck and cover." That's what I am going to do. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile

May Bombing Mission - YES, you May!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next