HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The $#! ^ hitting the fans, again.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bentbulldog

Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: The $#! ^ hitting the fans, again.   Thu May 02, 2013 12:46 pm

My family and I have enjoyed a good 4 full months of steady income and a reduction in stress. However a new turn of events is putting us in the red zone, again. Evil or Very Mad Mad Crying or Very sad

For 3 years, ive been unemployed, from time to time taking contract temp assignments to add income and gain experience. My masters degree however is doing more damage than good and I cant get work in my field, even for entry level positions (and I have many years of all kinds of experience, from administrative, managerial, to hospitality, sales and customer service)

I am a licensed barber so not being able to find work, I went back to a profession I dont enjoy. My customers even say barbering isn't my best trade, but they love my customer service and communication. but I need to support my family so I'm working anyway 3 days a week and diligently looking for full time work during my off days. Now however , its been 6 months since my last assignment and I haven't gone far. I've had interview opportunities but for whatever reason they never fall through. Now my unemployment is about to run out and my wife has told me that once this school year is over, her assignment, which only ran 3 school days a week as a substitute teacher will be over. She's a certified New York City teacher who can't find a job in special education.she's trying to find cases to work on the side but agencies aren't really helping her out. I myself I'm looking for a full time barber shop to work in, but even in the shops work is slow and they don't pay your salary. You get paid only when you have clients and that usually doesn't happen until you work at one place for a long time. NYC being as expensive as it is, the dollar doesn't take you as far.

I know I shouldn't complain because I have a trade That I can always turn to. but it's definitely not my passion and if I commit myself to barbering full time, is highly unlikely that I will ever be able to get out and find the job that would better suit me. As glad as I was for us to have an income, it has taken a deep toll on our psyche and relationships.

So the wifey gave me an order to cease and desist All pipe and tobacco purchases. Fortunately I can make due with what I have now. I will Not be selling off my pipes and tobacco however as I learned a big lesson from last time and they will likely need to be a source of comfort as I sit and hope for karma to start kicking in.

There are many who are worse off so I shouldn't be complaining, but I do feel disappointed and a bit like ive failed. I tried the methods of positive attitude by all these self proclaimed gurus but as a results driven person, I havent seen an Roi. A steady job, that works our strengths, for me and my wife, with a reasonable income is all I could ask for.

Well thats the end of that rant!!

See you all on the forums
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: The $#! ^ hitting the fans, again.   Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Really sorry brother. Been there before, sure I will be there again. Hang in, hold on, and don't give up the hope

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The $#! ^ hitting the fans, again.   Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 pm

I hear ya, bentbulldog. I really do. Tough times mixed with hostile environment for anyone with ideas, motivation, self-sufficiency and independence in making a living. The choices of "be a cog, predictable paycheck and miserable work" versus "be independent, endure, enjoy your work" are not a good trade-off. The fickleness, bust-n-boom and investor-critical world of the mining industry isn't exempt. Wondering if I ought to go back to kitchen work, myself. Don't mind it, but it sucks, just the same. Slave work. Sad

Hang in there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The $#! ^ hitting the fans, again.   Thu May 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Hang in there brother! Sending you as much luck and karma as I can muster.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: The $#! ^ hitting the fans, again.   Thu May 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Been there, done that too - Brother!

Similar situation happened to me last year about this time. Like you, I ended up going back to a former trade (not a trade perse) but got back into Retail as a Meat Dept. Manager at a locally owned Grocery chain.

Not great, but it pays the bills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The $#! ^ hitting the fans, again.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1