HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Squeaky/stuck tenons

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Isagar

Registration date : 2013-04-15

PostSubject: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 2:10 am

Now, I know the most typical method is to give your pipe a trip to the fridge. And I have done so on my beater pipes with great effect. But I found it's usually not a permanent fix. It becomes smooth for a short while before going squeaky or completely stuck again.

I've read in a few places that recommends Beeswax. Any insight on that?

Also Vauen have a pipe tenon lipstick for hard to fit and squeaky tenons. It's uncommon and I've only seen it being sold in a few European pipe shops. Again, any one with experience with it?
Heres a link to it: http://www.vauen.de/photo/detail/en/Pipe-Service-Stick_500/98.808.4.13.html

Finally, is there anyone with secret self discovered methods that they're willing to share around?

EDIT: Bonus question: have you ever broken a shank while trying to remove the stem with too much force? I've personally has yet too but there were times I seriously felt that I could if i tried to remove the stem with all my strength instead of popping it in the fridge.

Last edited by Isagar on Fri May 10, 2013 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 5:14 am

You've got two options.

You can rub a little candle wax on the tenon every once in a while to keep it lubricated or you can carefully sand the tenon with some 400 or better grit sand paper.

Todd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 am

taharris wrote:
You've got two options.

You can rub a little candle wax on the tenon every once in a while to keep it lubricated or you can carefully sand the tenon with some 400 or better grit sand paper.

Todd

Regarding candle wax, would you recommend beeswax or paraffin wax?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 7:42 am

Get a little crayon of what's called "peg compound" ("peg dope") from a place that supplies violin shops. It's used o lubricate the tapered, friction pegs that tune the strings and it works very well to accomplish both objectives involved -- butter-smooth turning and good grip.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 am

Yak wrote:
Get a little crayon of what's called "peg compound" ("peg dope") from a place that supplies violin shops. It's used o lubricate the tapered, friction pegs that tune the strings and it works very well to accomplish both objectives involved -- butter-smooth turning and good grip.

What a Face

OMG you are a genius! I can't believe I missed it being a violinist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 am

Isagar wrote:

Looks like Yak wasn't the peg dope here, Isagar.

[giggling] (Hardly my most manly trait)
Back to top Go down
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 12:08 pm

JKenP wrote:
Isagar wrote:

Looks like Yak wasn't the peg dope here, Isagar.

[giggling] (Hardly my most manly trait)

Guess you learn something everyday Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 1:40 pm

There's plenty of dopes around these parts, anyway. Laughing

I have only broken one pipe shank from "too much force" while removing the stem. Fortunately it wasn't my pipe, but a cheap basket pipe at my Tinder Box. The grain was just as such that twisting it managed to crack right along one of the "faults" in the briar. *shrug* Wasn't a big deal, but yes, it can happen. The pipe was also drilled poorly, and the stem fit far too tight. Cheap pipe--whatcha gonna do?

Sloughed graphite from an ordinary pencil is my stem lubricant of choice (sounds kinky, I know).

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 1:54 pm

@Isagar
My great uncle had a saying similar to your Aristotle one. I must have heard it a thousand times growing up.

"Perfection is attained only by hard studies and constant practice."

His last job was running a big machine shop.
Back to top Go down
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 pm

JKenP wrote:
@Isagar
My great uncle had a saying similar to your Aristotle one. I must have heard it a thousand times growing up.

"Perfection is attained only by hard studies and constant practice."

His last job was running a big machine shop.

He must have been a magnificent man.

My favorite quote all time is Aristotle's "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is a habit, not an event."
This quote really changed my entire philosophy on life.
My avatar is a slight variation of it by him as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Seems like Aristotle's making a major comeback these days.

Here, at least . . .

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Yak wrote:
Seems like Aristotle's making a major comeback these days.

Here, at least . . .

What a Face

Bertrand Russell (a philosopher and pipesmoker) once notes that "almost every serious intellectual advance has had to begin with an attack on some Aristotelian doctrine".
Just thought I'll share some interesting facts to all Aristotle-worshipers out there. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Sat May 11, 2013 1:23 am

I just use some fine sandpaper, it is a permanent fix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Sat May 11, 2013 1:24 am

taharris wrote:
You've got two options.

Todd

Todd, I just wanted to thank you for the tip on using sandpaper. I tried it out today and the result was fabulous!
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
osci

Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Sat May 11, 2013 10:57 am

Once i have removed the stem i use to rub some pencil's graphite on the tenon. It always work for me, and you can repeat the treatment everytime you remove the stem to clean your pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/saverio.pastore
taharris

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Sat May 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Isagar wrote:
taharris wrote:
You've got two options.

Todd

Todd, I just wanted to thank you for the tip on using sandpaper. I tried it out today and the result was fabulous!
Thanks again!

Glad to help. Smile

Todd
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Sat May 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I'll raise my hand with a suggestion, be careful with the sandpaper. I've been there: rubbing just a bit too much, or unevenly, and discovering the difference between too tight and too loose a fit is a narrow margin. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taharris

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Sat May 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I'll raise my hand with a suggestion, be careful with the sandpaper. I've been there: rubbing just a bit too much, or unevenly, and discovering the difference between too tight and too loose a fit is a narrow margin. Laughing

Sage advice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Sun May 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes. Fine-grit sandpaper -- in experienced hands -- is the best solution. Note the qualifier.

Otherwise, you can either halfass it with home remedies that will kind of work, or get some peg compound and do it right once & for all.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
CharlG

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Mon May 13, 2013 3:19 am

Graphite or beeswax do the trick for me. Fine sandpaper if it really is way too tight and then very carefully!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goussardpipes.com/
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Mon May 13, 2013 6:23 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:

X2 Embarassed pale

I now have a Jobey with that problem. So much so that if I am clenching and turn my head too fast it all comes apart. I have to make a quick grab for my flying pipe half before it hits the ground. I have some more Jobey replacement tenons on order ,notice the plural, so I can perfect fine tuning on a pipe with a replaceable tenon.

For those of us that are thinking about restoring estate pipes; this might be worth a try.
http://www.pimopipecraft.com/tools.html
"Adjustable Tenon Turning Tool" and "Stem Tightener Kit"

If anyone has used these tools and might be willing to give us a review? Might be very helpful for a few of us just discovering the relaxation of everything pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isagar

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Mon May 13, 2013 9:31 am

leftover421 wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:

X2 Embarassed pale

I now have a Jobey with that problem. So much so that if I am clenching and turn my head too fast it all comes apart. I have to make a quick grab for my flying pipe half before it hits the ground. I have some more Jobey replacement tenons on order ,notice the plural, so I can perfect fine tuning on a pipe with a replaceable tenon.

For those of us that are thinking about restoring estate pipes; this might be worth a try.
http://www.pimopipecraft.com/tools.html
"Adjustable Tenon Turning Tool" and "Stem Tightener Kit"

If anyone has used these tools and might be willing to give us a review? Might be very helpful for a few of us just discovering the relaxation of everything pipe.

I've seen some good reviews regarding the stem tightener kit, but I believe it only works with vulcanite tenons.
My main issue/concern with it is that I think it only expands the tip or first half of the tenon rather than the whole thing. (My theory based on logic)
So your tenon could/might/will end up a bit of a fat V shape thats really hardly noticeable but I don't think thats a good fix if only half the tenon is in contact with the mortise and the other half is just in mid air.
Since i've never used it before, feel free to prove me wrong, but, by inserting a 'tapered' expander into a hot soft tenon will only expand the tenon areas in contact with the expander, and thats the tip of the tenon only. (hope the snetence makes sense lol)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 am

I probably shouldn't admit this but...

I had a Sav that warped at the tenon and got a bit loose. To keep it from falling apart, I inserted a bit of wax paper. Heat bonded it to the side and it lasted for a good while before needing replacement. It is now in my send out someday to a repair shop box for a tenon replacement. It was a nice smoker.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Mon May 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Hey Yak, remember that violin repair guy that I told the story about, when in my youth I smelled pipe smoke for the first time getting my viola fixed (it was the repair guy) and I ended up reconnecting with him at Tinder Box years later as we both smoked pipes? I think I ought to ask him for a bit of peg dope, as he's still in his trade...my batch of the stuff is long gone. Thanks for reminding me. Laughing

Too-loose tenons can be widened slightly with some applied heat and a cone-shaped metallic object (also evenly, gently heated), but it's quite an ordeal to get it just right. Especially if the tenon is derlin! pale

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky/stuck tenons   Mon May 13, 2013 4:45 pm

There's a tightening trick for the brave involving the back end of a drill bit. I'm sure it's only for vulcanite. You find a drill bit that fits in the hole, then select the next size up (that's just a bit (pun) too snug) to stretch it. Warm up the tenon with heat then push the end of the drill bit in and let it cool.

Like I said... for the brave.
Back to top Go down

Squeaky/stuck tenons
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next