HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Sun May 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Too funny to not share. This estate Stanwell is labeled as "mint".

http://cgi.ebay.com/itm/151043577717

I've seen a few pipes with unmentioned cracks etc. Buyer beware!
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Sun May 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Maybe he means that the pipe tastes like mint. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Sun May 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Please ask any questions prior to purchasing as ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

Feeling sorry for the dude at $70.
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Sun May 12, 2013 4:41 pm

"In mint used condition". Sort of like "genuine imitation leather".

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Sun May 12, 2013 5:10 pm

"Mint" when used in reference to the condition
of something, is one of those words that have really
lost all meaning. Same with "excellent"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Sun May 12, 2013 5:52 pm

A rare beauty. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 pm

I'd hate to see his ready to refurb...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Sun May 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Check out the other "mint" pipes they have listed Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Mon May 13, 2013 8:48 am

Fatman wrote:
Check out the other "mint" pipes they have listed Shocked

Yep, there's a Dunhill in the same "mint" condition. Maybe these should be relabeled as "Well Loved" because some chap used the hell out of them.

What is the burned out side from? Lighting with the bowl turned to the side?
Back to top Go down
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 am

That pipe reminds me of the old story about a used axe: "I've replaced the head and the handle but it's still a darned good axe." About this pipe: "Needs a new bowl and a new stem to be considered mint."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 am

Caveat Emptor is eBay's raison d'Ítre. Sure, I have bought stuff but there is a ton of stuff just like this. There is no way to discuss such items. Ebay doesn't want informed buyers. You throw in a "final sale" qualifier on stuff like this and it approaches criminal.

That Dunhill looks like it had a broken/shortened stem. Ask the seller if that is true and he'll give you, "Gee, looks OK to me but what do I really know." and you remain on your own.

I avoid the estate side there as much as possible. You look at the legitimate estate market. I just bought a pipe from Viking Pipe Club. The validity/reliability of info there is in striking contrast to eBay's variety of sellers.

I am bidding on a Ben Wade there right now. Not really as much for the pipe as the holder -- which is unique. As to the pipe, is it an old Leeds pipe or a later production line pipe of much different appeal? You'd be told that from a reputable site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161024377127?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Mon May 13, 2013 9:51 am

Oh, for a laugh, I sent him a counter offer of .99. Here is the reply:

Dear .........,
treasurehut888 has sent you a counteroffer for the following eBay item. You have 48 hours or until the listing ends to consider the offer.
"VINTAGE STANWELL PIPE VARIO 51. MADE IN DENMARK. RARE BEAUTY"
"VINTAGE STANWELL PIPE VARIO 51. MADE IN DENMARK. RARE BEAUTY"
Offer price: $60.00
Buy It Now price:
$69.99Buy It Now
Offer expires: May-15-13 06:48:38 PDT
Seller Terms: --
Seller: treasurehut888 [contact seller]

Of course, it does come with free shipping. So, if anybody want to jump on this...

I did this to get in contact with the seller and told him:
The "mint" pipe you are selling is a wreck. It isn't worth more than the .99. In grading of estate pipes, this one doesn't even qualify at the bottom rung. The same goes for the Dunhill you are trying to dump. When you throw in your final sale condition, it is an obscenity. You should be ashamed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Mon May 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Holy smokes...

What's bad about eBay is it's so easy to get an idea of the value of items. When you see something this obvious, it's pure comedy.

The bad thing is if someone bought it thinking they were getting a good deal on a gift for a friend or loved one. I tell my girlfriend to never buy a pipe without me seeing it no matter what. If it gets bought by someone else, it wasn't meant to be.
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Mon May 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Dutch wrote:
Maybe he means that the pipe tastes like mint. Suspect

My thoughts exactly...or it was thickly doused in "pipe freshener." Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Hereward wrote:
What's bad about eBay is it's so easy to get an idea of the value of items. When you see something this obvious, it's pure comedy.

Sort of yes, sort of no. Beyond people using it properly, looking at a selection of completed listings over time to gain an idea of market value, folks usually just do a quick search, find whatever item is listed at whatever crazy price, and that becomes "what it's worth." eBay is to price queries what Wikipedia is to factual information. Laughing Drive-through mentality for most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay   Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 pm

True.
Back to top Go down

Check Out This "Mint Condition" Stanwell on eBay
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1