HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Frankly I'm not much on straight billiards. Especially short length ones.

That said here's a pic of the POY from my local pipe club. It's a Trevor Talbert blast, with a natural horn stem.

Nice enough looking pipe, like the blast and color. And the price is OK at $129.

Problem is it's 4.75" long. That's less than my shortest pipe at 5", and I don't normally go for short pipes. Never did develop an interest for nosewarmers, but this is not in that category. Still....

Anyone familiar with Trevor Talbert? I figure he has to be a good carver otherwise the SPC wouldn't endorse it. It's just that I'm not up on his work.

The nagging thing is the overall length. Seems far too short for me. Needs to be at least 6" to be in my wheelhouse.

Thought about asking if this can be modified to a longer length. But that may not be possible for the group buy. Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Any input?

Cheers,

RR

Last edited by Brewdude on Wed May 15, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 9:13 pm

It's damn gorgeous, is what it is. I seem to be developing a fondness for straight, not-smooth finish billiards...just working out that way. Laughing The two I have are just under or right around 5", so I guess if you ask me, it's tops. I don't do nosewarmers, really, but small pipes? No sweat. I'd smoke it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 9:19 pm

That looks like the ideal pipe for me! I have a horn stemmed LB from Trevor. Excellent smoker. I've got tons of pipes under 5". I've never had any problems. In fact I shy away from pipes longer than 6".
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com Online
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Talbert is considered to be one the best pipe makers around, and his work usually sells very quickly.
He posts on BoB occasionally, and has some other interesting projects related to old monster movies.
A renaissance man, as far as I'm concerned!
I like the above pipe, but as I too prefer bent pipes, I don't love it.
However, the length would not bother me.
Nice though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
In fact I shy away from pipes longer than 6".

I gave (to a Brother) a GBD Canadian that was probably 7 1/2" long, and had a HUGE bowl...but said brother is into GBDs and Canadian shapes..soooo....yeah. I couldn't very well clench that pipe as it was, let alone smoking a bowl of Jackknife that large. pale Laughing

I'm good at 4 1/2" - 6" pipes...usually slightly bent, like 'Lock said up there, but there's a few straight pipes that are the bee's knees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Amazing price for whats there. I tend toward 6" too but that doesn't look far enough off to scare me away from what else is there -- darn fine pipe from a good shop.
Back to top Go down
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Nice pipe but very fat stem and won't be a comfortable clencher. I agree that it'd have nicer proportions at 5.25-5.5". A half inch is a lot of pipe, and that billiard is as long as my shortest Lovat.

All that said, I have two of his and he makes a nice pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slartibartfast

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
That looks like the ideal pipe for me! I have a horn stemmed LB from Trevor. Excellent smoker. I've got tons of pipes under 5". I've never had any problems. In fact I shy away from pipes longer than 6".

Ditto. Congratulations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 pm

That's an English Classic design, executed with flair & panache. The horn stem would put me off but the pipe itself -- length & proportions included -- is right in the classic pipe sweet spot (1900-- 1940). And the low price is unbelieveable.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 10:20 pm

I should also mention this-

Choose either the cool horn bit or an optional ebonite bit (with a thin profile).

I don't have a horn stem and that does have some appeal from a pure aesthetic point. Not concerned about it being a clencher, even though that's what I like.

Great inputs here. Keep them coming!

drunken

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm

If in doubt, don't (buy it).

Can't they supply you with a longer stem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 15, 2013 11:49 pm

His Ligne Bretagne line which looks extremely along the lines of this pipe retails for $50.00 more. They are made from old French stummels he came across in his time spent making pipes in France.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 12:01 am

The Talbert green stained rusticated and "goblins" are are on my hit list. Friggin' beautiful pipes.
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 12:18 am

Hereward wrote:
The Talbert green stained rusticated and "goblins" are are on my hit list.
Quote of the week, yo!! cheers

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HCraven

Registration date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 12:38 am

That's quite an attractive pipe, almost a dead ringer for the Ser Jacopo I'm smoking at the moment, minus the horn bit.

My Ser Jac is about a half-inch longer in the shank, but I love this shape and finish, and if I had the extra money to spend, I'd buy them all day long for $129.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 10:05 am

Looks good to me, right up my alley as it goes, heck if I had the dosh mate I'd snag one and make no mistake, if you're not sure or are a bit strapped for cash mate give it a miss, other wise go get one is my feeling, lovely looking pipe is that. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 pm

That seems to me like a great looking pipe at a great price. What are you waiting for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 3:07 pm

One observation I forgot the first time around : that pipe's proportions reflect the British appreciation of substantial, "Built to Last" construction that was (is ?) typical of a lot of upper-end items there (clothing included). A guy there would buy a Burbury coat at thirty with the idea in mind that "It'll see me out." And it would.

No room for graceful fragility in that value system.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Rande, look at it this way: if you get it, and just can't deal with it, you have a forum of hungry appreciators here to take it off your hands. cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I would buy it in a heart beat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Slide wrote:
I would buy it in a heart beat.

As would I!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com Online
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 4:42 pm

$129 for a Talbert is a steal!
Even if you buy it and it's not "your cup of tea", you will get all your $$$ back (and then some) when you re-sell it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm a bent guy, too, and I like my pipes 5" or less, though I have longer. There's not many straights I give a second look to, but this was one of them. I like the horn stem, though I'm also a clencher...I'd take it for looks and substantiality.

For $129, though, none of that really matters. Handmade, name artist, I'm thinking of asking you to buy one for me!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trifecta13

Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Rande, look at it this way: if you get it, and just can't deal with it, you have a forum of hungry appreciators here to take it off your hands. cheers Very Happy
This. So much this. Honestly, the horn threw me off a bit. With an ebonite stem though... At that price!?!?!? I'd be hard pressed to get just one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Fri May 17, 2013 2:34 am

Looks like the LBs he makes, and suspect it is from that stock. I have a LB bulldog with a horn stem, and it is an excellent smoker. Don't know what your concern is with length, but at the temp tobacco burns, you mouth can't tell the difference in 1 1/4 in. shorter than you prefer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next