HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
IndySmoker

Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Fri May 17, 2013 6:10 pm

If we were in a race and the trophy was that! I'd trip you! It's that cool.
Try something new, obviously something about it stuck with you. Leave your comfort zone you might find a new style you like.

And if you don't like it you won't have a hard time reselling it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 12:16 am

Pipe looks fabulous to me. Cool Cool I prefer billiards. If he had 2 for that price each I'd be interested in both.
AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 2:14 pm

OK OK, looks like I'll be ordering one based on all the great input from you fine folks.

And I'll get it with the horn stem since that holds some appeal for me, as well as accepting the stock length. That'll be different for me but you never know until you try, eh?

I have until July to place the order and apparently the pipes will be delivered in August. So it'll be a while until I can report on its performance.

Again, thanks for the recommendations all!

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Goodness that is a lovely pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 5:48 pm

herbinedave wrote:
His Ligne Bretagne line which looks extremely along the lines of this pipe retails for $50.00 more. They are made from old French stummels he came across in his time spent making pipes in France.

I agree with Dave. The Ligne Bretagne pipes he lists are sold within minutes. I'd grab that one, at that price, I don't think you can lose even if you don't like the pipe. I love his horn stems and that fat billiard shape is very appealing to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gramnum1

Registration date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 pm

If you're buying it I'd keep it as is
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 6:26 pm

If you get it with the horn stem, I hope you like it.

As I recall, PeeDee got a horn stemmed pipe because it looked cool & hated it.

But maybe that was just him.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Yak wrote:

What a Face

Can you reference the post Yak?

So what's the deal with horn stems? Are they just too hard on the teeth or something?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Faux horn is just acrylic, like any other acrylic (give or take) except color. Usually okay on the teeth.

Real horn, as I've only experienced it on the handle of an old folding knife, seems very dense. I put the pocket knife in my teeth just now, and I can say I don't think I'd like it as stem material. Laughing Hey, it's all I had. Plus, if it heats up, it might smell or taste funny--given the tales from carvers that have worked with it turning tampers and stems alike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 10:34 pm

My impression is that it got used until vulcanite came out because amber was too expensive for Ford/Chevy pipes, & re-appeared as a make-do during wartime when said stocks of vulcanite (which came from Germany) ran out.

Horn is chitin. Fingernails are chitin. Deer antler is chitin. Hair is chitin.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Yak wrote:

Horn is chitin. Fingernails are chitin. Deer antler is chitin. Hair is chitin.

What a Face

And feathers. Don't forget feathers.

All smell terrible when heated to a certain degree. Laughing *shrug*
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sun May 19, 2013 10:45 pm

And feathers Cool

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Yak wrote:

What a Face

Well, I pm'd PD about his experience with horn stems and without going into details it did not inspire me with confidence! And of course that was his experience with that particular one. Yet it did give me pause, and I'm currently re-thinking the alternative choice of an ebonite stem. Never had any issue with them.

And yet there are posters here on this thread that have horn stems on their Talberts. And none of them seemed to voice any undue objections.

I'm so corn-fused........

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Hey, sorry I'm late to the show. Yes, my Viprati billiard with horn stem sucked, the horn tasted like it defiitely came off an old cow. But, that was one piece. However, might be a reason why they went away from the material decades ago, ya know?

That Talbert pipe is a very good value! If you were looking for a pipe for strong flakes or Lakeland-esque type mixtures, you'd be hard pressed to do better. I'd go with the ebonite myself, but you could always ask him to make both stems for you Question

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Mon May 20, 2013 9:47 pm

I have an LB with a horn stem and love it. It doesn't taste like dead cow and I personally think horn has an excellent feel to it between the teeth. The downside is that the bits have to be cut thicker due to the brittle nature of the material.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Tue May 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
I have an LB with a horn stem and love it. It doesn't taste like dead cow and I personally think horn has an excellent feel to it between the teeth. The downside is that the bits have to be cut thicker due to the brittle nature of the material.

Well, that's encouraging to hear Jesse.

So then, no carry-over of the horn flavor. How is it on the teeth? Feels a bit harder than acrylic I'd wager. Or is it a non-issue?

The pipe is offered with an ebonite option. Kind of leaning toward that at the moment.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Tue May 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

So then, no carry-over of the horn flavor. How is it on the teeth? Feels a bit harder than acrylic I'd wager. Or is it a non-issue?

The pipe is offered with an ebonite option. Kind of leaning toward that at the moment.

Cheers,

RR

I'd get it with BOTH the horn AND an Ebonite stem. Ebonite for daily smokin' and horn for the show-off times Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I'd get it with BOTH the horn AND an Ebonite stem. Ebonite for daily smokin' and horn for the show-off times Twisted Evil

That's genius! Where'd I hear that before? Smile

Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Tue May 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

That's genius! Where'd I hear that before? Smile

Don't think that's an option. One or the other.

FYI

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Hey, sorry I'm late to the show. Yes, my Viprati billiard with horn stem sucked, the horn tasted like it defiitely came off an old cow. But, that was one piece. However, might be a reason why they went away from the material decades ago, ya know?

That Talbert pipe is a very good value! If you were looking for a pipe for strong flakes or Lakeland-esque type mixtures, you'd be hard pressed to do better. I'd go with the ebonite myself, but you could always ask him to make both stems for you Question

This.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 am

Brewdude wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

Cheers,

RR

I really like the feel of horn. It's softer than acrylic and even softer than ebonite. It also has a sort of "stickiness" to it, meaning once I get my teeth set on it, it doesn't seem so slide around much. As I said, in my mind there are only a few downsides to horn, one is that the bits have to be thicker, the other is that the material is more fragile. Even if Trevor won't make two stems for it, there are plenty of repair folks that would.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Ocelot55 wrote:

Cheers,

RR

I really like the feel of horn. It's softer than acrylic and even softer than ebonite. It also has a sort of "stickiness" to it, meaning once I get my teeth set on it, it doesn't seem so slide around much. As I said, in my mind there are only a few downsides to horn, one is that the bits have to be thicker, the other is that the material is more fragile. Even if Trevor won't make two stems for it, there are plenty of repair folks that would.

Wow! Never thought that horn would be softer than acrylic or ebonite. I guess I thought that they'd be harder than acyrlic. That certainly changes the equation, including and especially your vouch for them.

Looks like I'll probably get the horn stem after all, and if I truly don't like it I can always get an ebonite aftermarket.

Thanks for the skinny Jesse.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 pm

And the horn on the pipe makes it double as a trophy.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Thu May 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Well it's a done deal. Horn stem.

I'll take delivery sometime in autumn and will report back in due course.

Clearly it'll be my shortest pipe, but I'll keep a open mind based on the positive feedback here.

Thanks all!

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Fri May 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Well, that wasn't the most dramatic four page thread over buying an absolutely gorgeous $120 pipe, now was it? lol!

Glad we could help you get off the fence and finally get the dang thing, Rande. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next