HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Fri May 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Now you need to get THE right Mason jar to put it in to "age". 5 years ought to be enough then you could smoke it for your 65th 'B-day Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Fri May 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Well, that wasn't the most dramatic four page thread over buying an absolutely gorgeous $120 pipe, now was it? lol!

Glad we could help you get off the fence and finally get the dang thing, Rande. Laughing

Actually it is $129, but who's counting quarters?!

Just wanted to make an informed decision, that's all. And all the intel here helped make that decision. Thanks to all who chimed in.

I'm stepping out of my comfort zone, in case that wasn't evident. I'm normally a "bent" kinda guy (jeez, it even says so in my profile....fancy that!) So a straight billiard, and a short one at that is clearly going in a new direction for me. C'est-la-vie! Time will tell if it works.

monbla256 wrote:
Now you need to get THE right Mason jar to put it in to "age". 5 years ought to be enough then you could smoke it for your 65th 'B-day

Michael, this humor is lost on me I'm afraid.

<shrug>

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 am

Quote :

I'm stepping out of my comfort zone, in case that wasn't evident.

I think it was evident. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sat May 25, 2013 2:28 pm

That's still the nicest $110 pipe I've ever seen, Rande... (...see what I'm doing there? I'm reducing the subconscious value, preparing to tell you how much of a mistake it was buying it, and I'll eventually buy it from you for $60!) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Is it working? Very Happy

Geez...you? A non-bent pipe? Hmmm.... scratch Not sure if you should have done that...

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 pm

I think it is a very nice looking pipe although it would be too short for my tastes. I have heard nothing but great things in terms of Talbert's ability to deliver a great smoking pipe. Congrats on your new purchase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sat May 25, 2013 7:57 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
That's still the nicest $110 pipe I've ever seen, Rande... (...see what I'm doing there? I'm reducing the subconscious value, preparing to tell you how much of a mistake it was buying it, and I'll eventually buy it from you for $60!) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Is it working? Very Happy

Geez...you? A non-bent pipe? Hmmm.... scratch Not sure if you should have done that...

lol!

ja, ja.......alvays mit ta chokes.......

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Well, I took delivery of this pipe yesterday.

And I have to say that it's certainly a very attractive pipe from a design/execution/finish standpoint. In fact it's one of the finest blasts I've ever held in my hand. Very impressive!

And it is stamped with "Ligne Bretagne". Here's what Trevor has to say about those on his site-

The Ligne Bretagne Story

In 2002, we purchased a vast stock of pre-turned old French stummels. The majority were cut in popular post war shapes, tending to be medium size or smaller. The briar had been stored in a stone barn in Bretagne for an unknown number of years - All we could ascertain was that it was very old. We have combined these old stummels with modern vulcanite stems and a great deal of hand-finishing here in our shop to create the Ligne Bretagne pipe, an affordable piece of history offering the best combination of Old World and modern craftsmanship that we can deliver.

However............the overall size of this is going to be far too small for me after all..........

Yes, I did know the specs on the length going into this. That was one thing I was concerned about. Yet there weren't any specs on the bowl, and that's what I should have tried to get as the bowl is way smaller than I'd expected. In fact much too small for me.

I figure it must be like a group 1 or 2 at the most. Pretty small, and I'm not into sizes like that. Short stems are one thing, small bowls are another. Just don't go for pipes with small bowls.

And before someone goes suggesting I use it for HO blends, yes I've considered that. However, I already have a few pipes for this purpose. And I don't reach for HO blends very often. In fact rarely.

So what to do?

Looks like I'm going to be selling this one. And while it's a pity in some respects, I just don't see me ever reaching for a pipe that is out of my comfort zone.

I'll be posting this in the trade section soon. For what I paid for it, incl/ shipping.

Someone who likes pipes like this will be getting a great deal!

Neutral 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm not a lover of traditional pipes like billiards and such, they just remind me of golf clubs.
But, I've always like the way Trevor blasts his pipes and the horn stem blends with the color of the pipe I think. In other words I like it but, still wouldn't pay that much for it. Sorry Trevor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:00 pm

I love the shape, and the price is killer-as is Trevor Talbert. His non-Ligne Breton work is usually pricy, out of my league.

I think we need to start another thread about the cost of artisan pipes. I don't feel quite right as I haven't bitched about this in public for some time;).
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 am

I wish he would include some sizing with his listings. And sometimes he doesn't show the pipe from above, so you cannot see how the rim is finished. I guess you don't have to be thorough when your pipes sell out as quickly as his do, but I still wish he'd take a few pictures next to a ruler or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Pipe is currently sold to brother Jesse Jones.

Cool 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-   Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Pipe is currently sold to brother Jesse Jones.

Cool 

Cheers,

RR
Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!

cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com

Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3