HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My AeroBilliard

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Mon May 20, 2013 10:08 pm

As I said this is a well-made pipe. However, much as I love the softness of the stem, there has been significant degradation. Toothmarks where there shouldn't be any after only four smokes. I noticed the majority of the wear after two smokes, but it has degraded more. There's no reason for that kind of wear, be the stem vulcanite or acrylic. But it's a hefty stem and at this point I don't foresee any performance problems; I do think that in time however it will be gnarly as a cob stem. $255.00 for that? I don't think so. I'm going to write Luca and see what he says.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 21, 2013 5:34 am

The way I see it the major engineering problem with stuffing dried plant matter into a piece of wood and setting it on fire is the fact that water is an unavoidable product of combustion and, if allowed to condense, creates an annoying gurgle with periodic migration of bitter tasting water up the stem.

There are two major schools of thought on how to solve this problem: keep the smoking flowing rapidly and in a laminar fashion so as to avoid condensation or condense as much water out of the smoke as possible before reaching the smoker.

Each of these approaches, when executed correctly, can solve this problem.

And I'm sure we could argue ad nauseum as to which one works better... Laughing

Todd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 21, 2013 8:59 am

taharris wrote:
And I'm sure we could argue ad nauseum as to which one works better... Laughing

Todd

You mean that isn't why we are here? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 21, 2013 9:53 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
However, much as I love the softness of the stem, there has been significant degradation.

Lowering my offer to $35.

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 21, 2013 9:59 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Lowering my offer to $35.

It appear that honesty is not the best policy.

(Another cliche destroyed.)
Back to top Go down
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 21, 2013 11:44 am

taharris wrote:
There are two major schools of thought on how to solve this problem: keep the smoking flowing rapidly and in a laminar fashion so as to avoid condensation or condense as much water out of the smoke as possible before reaching the smoker.
Insightful comment. I tried both and both work equally well when done properly. The major difference is that the latter approach is much messier and requires considerably more cleaning and maintenance.

Todd, there are a couple of other approaches that do not involve pipe engineering: the one that tries to solve the problem with packing technique, and the one that does it by drying the tobacco. I say they all work well if done right, at least to some degree. Perhaps the best is to use a combination of all. The only one that seems flawed to me is drying the tobacco, which results in loss of flavor, especially of sweetness, therefore resulting in an inferior experience. YMMV...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

The reality is that all of these variables (and many more like smoking cadence, briar quality, ambient temperature and humidity, smoking inside or outside, etc.) come in to play which makes the smoking experience different for each individual. And I agree that drying tobacco too much is counterproductive, especially since you will get moisture in the smoke no matter how dry the tobacco is because moisture is a product of combustion.

Ultimately, each individual must figure out what works best for him (or her). I guess that's what makes pipe smoking a hobby instead of just a nasty habit. Very Happy

Todd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Thu May 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I have one that I discussed with Luca and is made of Morta. I don't find the stem to be soft but it is really comfortable and the pipe hangs well and being I'm a hanger that suits me just fine. My pipe is all wood except for a Delrin ring where the stem mounts and it smokes extremely well and sipping brings out the flavors extremely well also, perhaps you need to cleanse your palate prior to smoking like with a glass of tonic water, ice tea or lemonade, these will help.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
mattia76

Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Mon May 27, 2013 1:21 pm

I was SUPER excited to get my Aero Billiard.

One of our pipe club guys, Ethan Brandt, has been big on reverse calabash pipes for a couple of years now. He writes the Pipe School blog (Google it up for a GREAT reverse calabash article).

So when I saw that Radice was getting into the fray--at a reasonable price no less--I couldn't resist. When I went to sell pipes at the Chicago show this year I (sadly) accidentally left all of my own smoking pipes at home. What better place to replenish?!?

So I knew that Chicago was going to be my chance to get exactly what I wanted, assuming they brought enough to satisfy the demand. And they did not disappoint!

Originally I had it in my head to get a black Silk Cut. I've really liked my other Radice pipes in this finish. However, I also recently got a Castello GG Natural Vergin 67. The Natural Vergin finish is an unstained Sea Rock. The shape is kind of like if you took a HUGE 55 and mated it with a Square-shanked Billiard. That pipe is an amazing smoker and I really like watching it color over time.

So when I saw this Aero beauty (they call it the "Pure" finish) in the Radice room on Friday night, there was really no contest. Sure, part of it was because they didn't have any black Silk Cuts on display, but I also noticed that they coated their chambers on all the silk cuts. Also, if they would have been displaying the Morta Aero, this may have been a different story. But they weren't. This one caught my eye because of the finish, combined with the smooth rim. My best flake pipe is a BIG Radice Twin Bore Clear Billiard with a spiral shank, so I figure Radice wood must be doing something right and that I would also be smoking flakes in this one too. I smoke VA flakes at least 50% of the time, so I have several pipes thusly dedicated.

I've smoked this Aero Billiard half a dozen times since Chicago, and it's really good. It hasn't hit its peak for me, yet. It took my other Radice a year or so. The Aero is smoking much better for me out of the gate than the Octagon Prince Ligne Bretagne I also bought new at Chicago. It is DRY as a bone and I am getting some good flavors. It is especially good for sipping, as others have said.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 28, 2013 3:21 pm

I love mine, but as I've written the stem has shown wear far too fast. Hope you enjoy yours!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 28, 2013 4:10 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
probably ~20-30% slower than I used to be

Seem the word all around; although the ladies remain remarkably silent in the matter. albino

OK, do you think that all those traditional and modern shapes will need to get out of the way for a revolution. How incremental do you see it after having it around a bit? Would your normal rotation move to all A-B if they were already available on your rack?
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
I love mine, but as I've written the stem has shown wear far too fast. Hope you enjoy yours!

Do your teeth resemble the chompers on your avatar? rabbit
Just kidding...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed May 29, 2013 6:19 am

Those teeth: even my fellow beavers are embarrassed for me;).
My rotation: I think the stem issue will be resolved, and being so, yes, I have thought about getting all RC designed pipes. Having sold my 70 pipes last year, I am going to replace them. $275.00 X 10 or X 50 is steep, but not out of sight. If they deliver more flavor, I've not tasted it. But the smoke is ~50% cooler.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 am

Alfredo,

A maker from California registered here yesterday. I took a look at his site, MorganPipes, and he makes RCs in a variety of shapes. He showed a gorgeous wasp that was RC. Not sure how much you dig bents.
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Resolution of the stem wear issue. Letter to Luca sent just now:

Hi Luca,

I've decided to go with the stem as is and not send it to Mr. Klein for his appraisal. In three places there is wear that goes beyond the surface, but it is not deep. Two other places have wear but do not go beyond the surface. It is the latter type of wear that I am used to seeing on lucite stems. Usually, again, the wear on my lucite stems is two tooth marks, and they do worsen with more smoking, but lucite being as hard as it is, my usual wear on these stems is relatively minimal.

On further inspection I'm ready to say the stem is lucite.

In general I think that because this was my first reverse calabash I had more anxiety about the pipe. I'm wondering if the way I clenched this short stem, both by the front of my teeth and by my middle teeth, as I usually do, but not having as much room to do so, my lips abutting the flare of the stem as it prepares to join the secondary chamber, pushing against that flare, my middle teeth may have slid up and down the stem to a certain extent and thus caused the extra wear. I can comfortably clench it otherwise, and I plan to do so the future.

So I'm good with the stem as is and appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Best, Mike Smith
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm

There's plenty to like about Mr. Morgan's pipes except the price;). Not any higher than those of many other makers, so I'm not throwing any stones here, but certainly a good bit higher than I'm prepared to spend. It's unfortunate that pipe makers need to make a living, too.

The Briar Cigar as an RC probably costs less, but it's too cute/avant-garde for my tastes. I like a defined bowl and stem. He has one called the "Wasp" whose design, although more accessible than many RCs produced by the trendy Russians, that basically look like two circles/blobs, is about as far as my traditional sensibilities can stretch. If I had a grand right now to spend on another RC, I'd probably go for one of the Eltang or Negoita tubos (I think they're RCs), whose clean, straight lines I find quite appealing. But then again I'd probably be more tempted to buy 4 cheap AeroBilliards. I'd have to have a lot of disposable income to spend a grand on a single pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 pm

It's hard to say where pipe design will go. I was looking at Russian RCs months ago and had no idea why anyone would want to put that much craft into such unappealing (for me, underline that) designs. Now that I know how much they cool the smoke I'm a convert. We're talking about hand-held pipes, right? From the little I know hookahs are the king of cool smokes. But hookahs don't easily travel. What about two cooling chambers? How far do you want to morph the traditional shapes to accommodate an inverse chamber?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 pm

An economical alternative?

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed May 29, 2013 11:32 pm

That a huge bong! And as they probably stole it, very economical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Thu May 30, 2013 10:40 am

Back when I had teeth... Smile I could gobble up cheap stems in short order. Never would use one of those rubber things and there was a pipe shop in the area at the time so I could get them replaced. Chomping is a hard thing to stop. Never really succeeded. No advice here; just commiseration.
Back to top Go down
acme

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:41 am

For those wondering where the double chambered pipes might go, too late, they already went.

I have been making these for a little over two years.
I picked function over form. You can see some of the consequences.

I took a guess at the measurements of the aeroBilliad's internal chamber:
If 3/4 inch diameter at 1.5 inches long, then it turns out to be just shy of 11 cc
(Cubic Centemeters).

Important to me was the distinction between simply catching moisture and actually cooling the smoke. Most of the condensation in a regular pipe happens in the stem, you know.

I have been testing for a while, I started out measuring and testing calabash, and have found that the magic doesn't really start happening until aboiut 40 cc..
Also important is the distance the smoke travels across the chamber. I have not tested for this as carefully, but I know that there is little profit if the smoke crosses the chamber in a single puff. The smoke from a puff has to swirll inside for at least a little while for the chamber to do its work.

I have been smoking 35cc to 240 cc volume pipes for a couple of years, and bigger is better.

The first image is a rain drop with a 50 cc chamber. You can see that I have paid at least a little attention to form. It weighs 2.5 ounces.
[img][/img]

The second pipe is a complete abandonment of what might be considered normal, and I chose to emphasis the chamber. Its volume is a hair over 300 cc.
240 cc. This one weighs 4.75 ounces.
[img][/img]

anthony
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://acmepipes.com
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:47 am

acme wrote:
For those wondering where the double chambered pipes might go, too late, they already went.

I have been making these for a little over two years.
I picked function over form. You can see some of the consequences.

I took a guess at the measurements of the aeroBilliad's internal chamber:
If 3/4 inch diameter at 1.5 inches long, then it turns out to be just shy of 11 cc
(Cubic Centemeters).

Important to me was the distinction between simply catching moisture and actually cooling the smoke. Most of the condensation in a regular pipe happens in the stem, you know.

I have been testing for a while, I started out measuring and testing calabash, and have found that the magic doesn't really start happening until aboiut 40 cc..
Also important is the distance the smoke travels across the chamber. I have not tested for this as carefully, but I know that there is little profit if the smoke crosses the chamber in a single puff. The smoke from a puff has to swirll inside for at least a little while for the chamber to do its work.

I have been smoking 35cc to 240 cc volume pipes for a couple of years, and bigger is better.

The first image is a rain drop with a 50 cc chamber. You can see that I have paid at least a little attention to form. It weighs 2.5 ounces.
[img][/img]

The second pipe is a complete abandonment of what might be considered normal, and I chose to emphasis the chamber. Its volume is a hair over 300 cc.
240 cc. This one weighs 4.75 ounces.
[img][/img]

anthony

Anthony, it's great to see that you are posting on BoB. I enjoyed reading about your work with second chamber pipes in Pipes and Tobacco's Magazine.

Your findings are exactly as I suspected, and that the real advantage to the standard second chamber pipe, is to trap moisture and resins, simply because the chamber is not large enough in most pipes to actually cool the smoke before it passes through the second chamber.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, have you found that there is any substantial flavor loss from the tobacco being burned in the 4.75 ounce pipe? The reason I ask, is because in my medium sized calabash, I need to smoke very full bodied blends, as the flavors always seem muted to a certain degree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
acme

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:35 am

You know, the risk of losing flavor has always been one of the questions raised. I may not be the person to ask because of the problem I was having.

For me, I have been smoking for a little over thirty-five years, but I learned something from these pipes in the last two. I smoked mostly matured virginias and I suffered from tongue bite. Made me miserable. Two bowls in a day and I was really done. I had almost exclusively swithched to calabash. I carried them around in a grocery bag. They were easier on my tongue, but not that much easier.

I don't get tongue bite with thiese. What did happen was that I noticed new flavors in the tobacco I had been smoking. It gave me something new to look for when I smoked. That is what I meant by learning something. I still smoke virginias, but they are different ones now. I am getting a lot out of them.

I don't know if this bears on your question or not. You can smoke this and that cigar, and then smoke a Te Amo. Te Amo has a rough quality to its smoke aside from the actual flavor. I notice that kind of a change for these pipes - they smooth things out for me. I can smoke Hados in them.

Six months ago, I would have also said, unlike the calabash, the heat source and cooling chambers are seperated, and that increases the cooling. I still can't say it ain't so, but I started making some Captain Warren style pipes with large air chambers, and they smoke better than I remember my calabashes.

anthony
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: My AeroBilliard   Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Anthony, I'd love to hear what you've been up to re: double-chambered pipe since your last post.

My secret is that after smoking my AeroBilliard regularly for the last 4 months, I don't believe it either cools the smoke or enhances the flavor. But it's a good idea. I wonder if what's been said about them is true, that the smoke has to spend some extra time in the second chamber for it to have any effect. It would seem so. Maybe the chamber has to be bigger as it is in some of Anthony's pipes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
acme

PostSubject: Some Captain Warrens   Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 pm

There isn't really much that I can say that I haven't said in the earlier posts. When it comes to chambers, bigger is better.

Here are a couple of Captain Warren types that I made recently.
The second one is sold already.
They are both fairly large. The first one is about two ounces. I left it natural because they color up nicely due to the moisture that collects.

Sorry if you have been looking at the website; I don't think that I have any of the pipes on it any more. It just isn't very interesting to work on, and I like making pipes a lot more.

I am going to be at the Richmond show next month and the Las Vagus show in November.

anthony
Back to top Go down

My AeroBilliard
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: