HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dad Passed Away

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Well Brothers, my Dad passed away a few days ago. In sharing this with you all, I realize how much I appreciate this community. I'm glad to have friends like you to be able share this with. About 6 years ago I lost my Mom to Pancreatic Cancer, and now I've lost my Dad to Leukemia. I just got back from a two-day drive from Michigan where we said our final goodbyes. It's odd, at only 37 years old, to think that my parents are no longer a part of my life.

But this post isn't about a loss. I'm totally at peace with my parents passing. I grew up knowing full well where they'd go when they passed away, and now I have no doubts that they're in a much better place than I.

I want to share a thing or two about Dad. Dad always had a fascination for watches and pens. Among other things, I believe I got my interest in watches and pens from him. But with a growing family, I've had to squelch my desire for things that I would call "expensive luxury items".

When I graduated from High School, one of the things Dad gave me was a Pelikan fountain pen. I used it until it physically fell apart. I love writing with a good pen. A few months ago, I tried to replace that pen with a cheap one, but like they say, "you get what you pay for." It failed me within just a few weeks.

Well, for as long as I can remember, Dad had what I believe is the quintessential fountain pen...the Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 149. I had always admired it and wanted to get one just like it. With my brother being less interested in pens, I did get one just like it! In fact, I found that Dad had a full set, Fountain pen, Ball point pen and Pencil. I don't think the fountain pen had been used in 10+ years. But with a very little bit of effort, I got it writing perfectly. As cheesy as it may sound, I like to send off my pipes with a hand written note of thanks. Now I get to do that with a very special pen.

Thanks for listening. Here's a pic of the set.

Last edited by Growley on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Sorry about your dad. Having things in common is a great way to remember him. Don't fret about quality writing instruments, they can always be repaired. My Pelikan 140 from 1955 is in the shop for a new plunger seal. Then it will be good for another 50 or so years.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Carlos wrote:
Sorry about your dad. Having things in common is a great way to remember him. Don't fret about quality writing instruments, they can always be repaired. My Pelikan 140 from 1955 is in the shop for a new plunger seal. Then it will be good for another 50 or so years.

Ha, if broken were the biggest problem with my Pelikan, I'd be good. Lost is the main problem. I lost it somewhere after college never to be seen again. I think this 149 could be the last pen I'll ever need. No way I'm losing this one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Sorry for your loss brother. May the pen bring you some happiness & fond memories of your father.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Most sorry to hear of your loss, Growley. But there does come a time where it's a kindness.

Onward & Upward !

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Yak wrote:
Most sorry to hear of your loss, Growley. But there does come a time where it's a kindness.

Onward & Upward !

What a Face

In this case, you couldn't be more right. His "life" was quickly becoming not much of one.

Back to top Go down
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Condolences on your loss, and many long years of use with your father's writing instruments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm sorry for your loss Brian. It is the days I dread, losing my parents. It does sound as if you and your dad are a peace and you will see eachother again someday. You're in my thoughts brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boulderandbriar.com
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Quote :
As cheesy as it may sound, I like to send off my pipes with a hand written note of thanks. Now I get to do that with a very special pen.

I never thought that was cheesy, but another word that ends in sy - classy. I'm sorry to hear about your father, ever time you use that pen, you'll think about him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:12 pm

condolences, dude. sounds like your'e takin' it all pretty well. hope i'm able to do the same when my dad's time comes.

be well,
doody
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Mr. Doody wrote:
condolences, dude. sounds like your'e takin' it all pretty well. hope i'm able to do the same when my dad's time comes.

be well,
doody

Thanks. I am taking it pretty well. I've had time to prepare. I know it's different for everyone, but for me, the time helped.
Back to top Go down
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Sorry about your loss, but I'm glad you have good memories of him
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:35 pm

It is different for everyone, but it is never easy. There is always unfinished business with fathers. You are on my heart and in my prayers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Growley

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
It is different for everyone, but it is never easy. There is always unfinished business with fathers. You are on my heart and in my prayers.

I love that statement, "There is always unfinished business with fathers." Very well said.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Please accept my most sincere condolences on your loss Brian. May you always have great memories about your Dad and may they comfort you in the days ahead.

I lost my Pap almost 10 yrs ago, and his stamp is firmly upon my soul. Never a day goes by that I don't think of him or am reminded about his positive influence.

Losing a parent is one of the greatest heartbreaks in all our lives.

Crying or Very sad

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 pm

My condolences. You all will be in my thoughts.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Brian,
I just saw your post about your dad and say that my thoughts are with you for his passing. I lost my father back in '97 and to this day, his memory and presence has been with me daily. We weren't real close till the last few years of his life when we started talking for real. I'm glad we did but even so I was not as ready for his leaving as I thought I would be. It's good you have something of his to use on a daily basis as this will help. I know, as I have 6 pipes of my fathers that I smoke regularly. Take some time and grieve, it's what's supposed to happen. I'll say a prayer at Mass for him tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:04 am

Mr. Doody wrote:

be well,
doody

I'll echo this.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:06 am

Sorry for your loss Brother. Thinking of you & yours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:49 am

Condolences brother. I'm very sorry to read of your loss. Your post really struck a chord with me.

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:58 am

Brian, I am really sorry to hear of your dad's passing. I think using his Mont Blanc every time you ship a pipe, gives tribute to the fine job he did raising you. No doubt, there is a little bit of your dad, in every one of those gorgeous pipes you carve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:40 am

Sorry for you loss, Brian. I lost my Mother a few months ago, as many of you remember.

It takes time, that's for sure. At least you've had time to prepare (your earlier post)...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:26 am

My sincerest condolences on your loss Brian. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May your dad rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jogilli

Registration date : 2010-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 am

Awesome memories Brian... My dad passed away just little over a year ago and my son and I got a majority of his knife collection...some going back fifty years...three of them sit in my pipe cabinet... Nothing beats good memories and all the little things in life that parents actually leave you with, like morals, manners, and an appreciation for Gods love... Someday well enjoy a bowl together.. I'm sure pipes are allowed in heaven.

James
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jsecpipes.com
skaukatt

Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Dad Passed Away   Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:39 am

My sincerest condolences to you. I lost my Dad in 1997. Miss him always.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com

Dad Passed Away
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next