HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dunhill Group Sizes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Group Sizes   Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:32 pm

During the transition Barling offered group 1 through 4 pipes, which was the first number of the four digit shape number. So that's like 1962 through 1967? That's the only other maker I can think of besides Dunhill who made a concession to sizing in their catalog, unless you count Loewe who as early as the beginning of the 1900s classified all their shapes as either Light Weight, Medium or Full Size.

Because all these makers were making fairly similar pipes once you had a handle on Dunhill groups it was easy enough to look at any Sasieni or Comoy's, etc, and assign a group size to it. That's the only reason it stuck around, it was the only way you could talk to someone else regarding physical size and capacity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Group Sizes   Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I have always used the Dunhill group sizes as a guide and find them very useful. You can have a small 5 or a large 5, if you know the basic criteria you can then use their system on any pipe you purchase. It is the only system I know that is fairly accurate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wayne_Teipen

Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Group Sizes   Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 am

For the life of me I can't remember where I saw it but I recall an old video of Dunhill production where a particular worker was taking finished pipes and placing them in progressively smaller box-like jigs.  I think this is how they assign their group sizes.  Each box represented a group size and the smallest one the pipe would fit in was it's assigned size.  I'm guessing they had different jigs for different styles of pipes.  Full bents, for example, wouldn't likely fit in the same type of jig as a straight pipe of the same group size.  This is speculation on my part.  I can say, however, that I don't think chamber capacity plays a big factor if at all.  I prefer Dunhill group 3 pipes and the chamber capacity on a group 3 bulldog versus a group 3 billiard is very different but the overall size of the pipes are similar.

I find the Dunhill sizing very helpful.  In fact, I tend to describe my own pipes according to my loose understanding of the Dunhill sizing because that's the only standard sizing many pipe collectors and smokers know.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along and shed more light on the topic.  It would be great if Dunhill would just share their sizing so we can have a standard across the board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://teipenpipes.com
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Group Sizes   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:09 pm

My understanding, such as it is, has been that Dunhill "group size" refers to bowl only, and it doesn't matter whether the bowl is attached to a 5' or 7' pipe, bent or straight. Its the bowl that accepts X amount of tobak. So the phrase would be more descriptive if it were "bowl size."  My authority is something I seem to recall reading from somewhere some time ago;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Dunhill Group Sizes   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Group sizes for people examining pipes in a shop would have been irrelevant.

For people familiar with the system (or at least having an example on hand to go by) who were ordering a pipe by mail, they would have been very useful. 

An order for a "Group 4 Tanshell Rhodesian" would have brought the pipe somebody envisioned by mail.

What a Face
Back to top Go down

Dunhill Group Sizes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2