HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

VPN -- Smart Necessity?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: VPN -- Smart Necessity?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Do you know what a VPN is? It stands for Virtual Private Network and is used extensively by business to create private, encrypted communications between outside site and private servers. For the personal user, it makes available a similar service to the entire Internet.

We've seen the extensive discussion of what is referred to as The Prism Scandal that indicates the government has access to our every move by phone or Internet. Additionally, your data is sliced, diced and bake by a host of companies you use on the net -- Google marketing effort a prime example.

If this concerns you, you have VPN as an option. I recently started using it with a company that I've found quick and reliable. There are any number of others. The one I use is https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ and there are others that can be used as detailed by http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/ This last one has quite a bit of info about using a personal VPN.

In a nutshell, it encrypts all your communications and gives you Internet access in anonymous fashion. Who you are can still be detected through cookies but just where and who you are and what you are accessing goes away. If installed on your phone or tablet, you can use a public site and know your session can't be captured by a host of bad actors.

I was concerned enough to invest 40-bucks for a year's service and have been happy with the results. What is stored on your computer is still available but requires some due process to access. The way things have been going, it is better than ignorance of the potential for harm.

I would be happy to try to answer any question or concerns you may have about implementing this. In the meantime, look here and see what general info is always available when you connect to a site http://whatismyipaddress.com/ which id's who you are based on info stored by you Internet Service Provider and available to a host of entities.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: VPN -- Smart Necessity?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:48 pm

great advice, JKenP!

i'm a big http://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ fan and user myself.

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: VPN -- Smart Necessity?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:43 pm

I would assume an individual using highly encrypted systems would throw up a red flag to Big Brother. I'd doubt that they couldn't decifer what your doing if they wanted to anyhow.

PostSubject: Re: VPN -- Smart Necessity?   Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Encryption, since the rise of the new graphic processors, has become far more fragile. But, that is neither here nor there.

Encryption runs only between the user and the VPN server. It is more helpful in defeating locals trying to read your files. If you have a router, you are probably using encryption at home for the same reason. If you are at McD's using their network everything is en clair and subject to being captured. Once the data reaches the server, it is decoded and transmitted en clair.

Another interesting use is you can select the server that you attach to. Most of the time I use the nearest one -- Chicago. But, I have used a London one and been able to access BBC feeds as a local. Try it from the states and you aren't allowed access. Lot of expats use it for just that.
Back to top Go down
Andy Lowry

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: VPN -- Smart Necessity?   Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:30 am

I use this one. It's reasonably priced and has very good bandwidth. It is occasionally useful to have your IP appear to be elsewhere.

Edit to add: Oh shoot, I see that Mr. Doody beat me to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

VPN -- Smart Necessity?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1