HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

odd couple of weeks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 am

so a few weeks ago, i was making the 150 mile drive back home from a visit to one of my clients (biweekly visit, business as usual) and one of my tires decides to blow out on me on the freeway, sending my car careening into a fruit stand and totaling the car. no one was hurt, airbags didn't deploy, and the only two casualties of the wreck are my car and a sink at the fruit stand. here are some pics of the crash:

more in the album here:
http://imgur.com/a/IERtK

then the next day i had to fly to philadelphia to help my mom who's health is failing and can't work anymore, by driving to georgia with her and picking up my dad who i haven't spoken to in over 13 years. they had a brutal divorce and i decided that keeping him out of my life was better than dealing with another addict/alcoholic in my family with abusive tendencies. he has gotten a bit older and is on medication to help his bipolar disorder, so he has been relatively sane for the past few years. the rest of my family has kept in contact with him, but i never felt the need. the reason i had to help is because neither of my brothers can drive, and my mom couldn't do the drive by herself. she is on oxygen for emphysema and some other lung issues, and had recently broken her back at work, and can no longer work. the plan with picking up my dad was twofold. one he could potentially help out my mom financially, and two, he was lonely and not getting the medical attention he needs. he is only 71 but he has less strength than my fiance's 90 year old grandma. he has COPD and the doctors in georgia refuse to give him oxygen. he can barely walk to his car without needing an inhaler. it is really sad. so i get down there, and when i meet him, we hit it off just fine. he didn't need to apologize for anything he's done. he has clearly paid for any past wrong he's done with his poor state of health and loneliness. i'm really glad i got to see him, as i don't think he has much time left in the material world. a few years ago he was beaten pretty badly in his home and this has left him with some brain issues that make him incontinent. he was super embarrassed by this and didn't let us know about it during the trip, so we didn't get a chance to stop so he could change. it was one of the most depressing things i've ever seen. that alone forgave anything he has ever done to me. so we made our peace and now he is with my family in PA. when we got back to PA, my brother went a little crazy and couldn't really handle himself. he has a constant problem with addiction and alcoholism, and has caused a lot of stress for my other brother and my mom who is currently supporting him. he has no insurance, but needs medication for it, and my mom was paying for it on her wages. now she is on disability, which she could survive on her own, but the cobra insurance is $750 a month for her, and on top of that she is supporting both of my brothers. my other brother has seizures and slight cerebral palsy, so he is hard pressed to find work. especially when he can't drive. i send what money i can, and it's been helping, but it isn't helping with the emotional stress that my poor mom has to go through on a daily basis. not sure why i felt the need to share my stress as of late, but this community has always been a great joy to me, and i always appreciate the things i learn and the support i've gotten from here. pray if your religious, and please make sure to take care of your selves, and be thankful for every day you have with your loved ones. 

on a lighter note, here is a picture of me and my father. he used to be a bit taller.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:21 am

Jeb, I am relieved to hear that you and no one else was hurt in that wreck. Sometimes we get so stuck in weird routines that we really don't think too much about the dangers of driving a car everyday. I have been in a few wrecks, one that I was really lucky to walk away from, although it did lead to back surgery for me later in life. 

Sorry to hear about your family and all that you have been through lately. I am glad you got to make amends with your father & that you got to see your mother. 

You're in my thoughts brother. Be sure to take care of yourself. D&B
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:00 am

There's been something weird going around lately.   It's been "interesting times" as the Chinese curse goes.  

Enjoy the ride, try not to get hurt when it gets bumpy.   I love you

Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:27 am

Thank the stars no one got hurt in the crash, so sorry for your family pains Buddy, be thinking of you my friend, keep yourself safe, make sure you keep eating and drinking, may sound stupid but we often neglect the essentials during such traumatic times and struggle more than we have to, sending (((safe hugs))) your way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:56 am

Thanks for sharing. I wish you my very best! Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:38 am

Glad you are OK. Car can be repaired...sometimes even lives can be repaired. Your dad has some issues, but you can handle it cause your the strong one. Makes the rest of us grateful for what we have. Thanks for sharing a bit of your life...this is the place to do it...friends all around you wishing you the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 am

I'm sorry to hear about your wreck and your family situation. That's a lot to take on for sure and I can feel some of your pain for sure. As my Dad always said, "one day at a time."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:03 pm

thanks for all the support guys, it really does help and mean a lot. and kirk, don't know if you saw my picture, but i could skip a few meals, buddy! but seriously thanks for your concern. life would be pretty boring without struggles to overcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: odd couple of weeks   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:30 pm

All the best to you and yours, sdj  Very Happy

What a Face
Back to top Go down

odd couple of weeks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1