HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

First broken pipe!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: First broken pipe!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Smoking pigtail in my mm Dane with a forever stem, and all of a sudden the smoke wasn't right. I look down and the shank split!

Lame! Now I have to shell out anoth $8

Heh. Just bummed because that pipe was smoking great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Well don't that just suck!

Neutral

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:44 pm

OH MAN!! Those dunhill Cob shanks are hard to find and expensive Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm

monbla256 wrote:
OH MAN!! Those dunhill Cob shanks are hard to find and expensive  Twisted Evil

LOL. Yeah I was wondering about that dot, too....

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Walker briar works forever stem Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 pm

monbla256 wrote:

Heh, best post of the day.

SDJ, puritans may scoff, but I bet if you put some wood putty or wood glue in that break, stuffed quite a bit of rolled-up paper in the shank to keep the airway open (and stem able to be re-inserted) then put vise-grip pliers to hold it together, you'd be back in the game again.  

Don't blame me if the Cob Snobs snub you, though.   I love you

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Heh, best post of the day.

SDJ, puritans may scoff, but I bet if you put some wood putty or wood glue in that break, stuffed quite a bit of rolled-up paper in the shank to keep the airway open (and stem able to be re-inserted) then put vise-grip pliers to hold it together, you'd be back in the game again.  

Don't blame me if the Cob Snobs snub you, though.   I love you

Cool

That's the Cob Spirit!! But why go to all that trouble when a couple of wraps of black electricians tape should do just fine! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Electrical tape?  scratch   This ain't some fancy Yuppie party.    No  No  No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 am

So I went to clamp and glue it before I read your post, actually. The shank crank spread into the cob and pulled the shank out when I clamped!! Ham fist cob destroyer!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:06 am

Sounds like you can repair the shank and insert it back in the cob applying glue. I was going to suggest using heat shrink tubing for electrical wiring to seal the shank and hold it together. It is a little more elegant the electrical tape.geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21 am

duct tape hasn't been considered yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:39 am

I was going to weld it back together
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 am

Superglue?

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:48 am

In all seriousness, the local news stand always has the hardwood bottomed cobs at $8. I threw this one away and I'll pick one up on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:36 am

What a pity!
Was it insured?  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:46 am

The Cobgods are pissed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am

Take apart a bic pen, shove the plastic white shank in the bowl with a little putty and you're back in business!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:04 pm

Always a bummer when a pipe dies, sorry for you Buddy, thank goodness it was a cob mate, tugs a bit when it happens to your favourite Briar, our younger daughter launched my all time favourite Pete bent system pipe, split the stummel, I was devastated, never had a pipe that smokes as well before or since. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:44 pm

While cobs are cheap and easily replaced, I find it enjoyable to see just how long I can make a cob last.

The first thing I do with a new cob is to bulletproof it, best I can. This involves putting pipe mud in the bottom of the bowl, and adding epoxy to the joint between cob and shank. Once I have accomplished that, and allowed both to dry, I then wrap the shank in heavy gauge sewing thread, and then slather the thread with a coat of epoxy.

It takes a little time and effort to do this, but it is well worth the effort if you want your cobs to last as long as your briar and meerschaum pipes.

Here are a couple pics of a Missouri Meerschaum General with a Walker Forever Stem that is going strong. It is the first cob I wrapped the shank on, and I repaired this one after the shank cracked on me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Wow Dutch, that's impressive!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Dutch, that is awesome looking. i'm going to do that on the replacement cob i purchase. i'll probably use some twine for a nice effect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
The Cobgods are pissed.

The Cobgods are probably upset about your recent high-end briar acquisitions. Nothing upsets them more than a Castello coming home to roost.

A sacrifice is needed. Better smoke some Oriental Dusk in your finest briar. Only then will they be appeased.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Dutch wrote:
While cobs are cheap and easily replaced, I find it enjoyable to see just how long I can make a cob last.

The first thing I do with a new cob is to bulletproof it, best I can. This involves putting pipe mud in the bottom of the bowl, and adding epoxy to the joint between cob and shank. Once I have accomplished that, and allowed both to dry, I then wrap the shank in heavy gauge sewing thread, and then slather the thread with a coat of epoxy.

It takes a little time and effort to do this, but it is well worth the effort if you want your cobs to last as long as your briar and meerschaum pipes.

Here are a couple pics of a Missouri Meerschaum General with a Walker Forever Stem that is going strong. It is the first cob I wrapped the shank on, and I repaired this one after the shank cracked on me

Dutch, I liked you before, but you're my effing cob-hero, brother.  cheers

I try to make my cobs last a long time, too.  I cite my first Washington cob I got from Mars for $4 nearly two years ago.  I've dropped it overboard while fishing (and recovered it), mudded it up (only once, and it lacks the hardwood plug!) and am still using the OEM plastic MM stem it came with.  Occasionally I have to jam a micro-file in the button to re-open the draft hole where I clench (the upper and lower tooth indentations), but it's turning a lovely shade of honey oak, with a nice brown band appearing at the middle section.   The wood shank is perfectly okay, no cracks--and is coloring almost to a walnut.  I take this pipe with me everywhere...it's my "away" pipe...work, the tobacconist, coffee shops... when I'm at Tinder Box, and people are scoffing about cobs being "disposable," I proudly grab a new one from the shelf, and compare it to my Washington in color and personality.   They think I'm crazy that I might have this pipe for 10, 20, or more years.   I love you

All it takes is keeping it clean, letting it rest, minimizing the abuse Laughing and knowing what it can and can't do. I think this one has trained me to keep better care of my briars, in all honesty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm

yeah i'm now regretting throwing it away. i just have too many half finished projects and good old chunks of briar i need to make into pipes! and DnB, they are going to be even more pissed when my Baki and second Castello 10 show up... not to mention another growley in the future, and another 10 if the gentleman still has it....

what are savings accounts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: First broken pipe!   Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:26 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Dutch wrote:

Here are a couple pics of a Missouri Meerschaum General with a Walker Forever Stem that is going strong. It is the first cob I wrapped the shank on, and I repaired this one after the shank cracked on me

Dutch, I liked you before, but you're my effing cob-hero, brother.  cheers

I try to make my cobs last a long time, too.  I cite my first Washington cob I got from Mars for $4 nearly two years ago.  I've dropped it overboard while fishing (and recovered it), mudded it up (only once, and it lacks the hardwood plug!) and am still using the OEM plastic MM stem it came with.  Occasionally I have to jam a micro-file in the button to re-open the draft hole where I clench (the upper and lower tooth indentations), but it's turning a lovely shade of honey oak, with a nice brown band appearing at the middle section.   The wood shank is perfectly okay, no cracks--and is coloring almost to a walnut.  I take this pipe with me everywhere...it's my "away" pipe...work, the tobacconist, coffee shops... when I'm at Tinder Box, and people are scoffing about cobs being "disposable," I proudly grab a new one from the shelf, and compare it to my Washington in color and personality.   They think I'm crazy that I might have this pipe for 10, 20, or more years.   I love you

All it takes is keeping it clean, letting it rest, minimizing the abuse :lol:and knowing what it can and can't do.   I think this one has trained me to keep better care of my briars, in all honesty.  

Kyle, I understand now why the name "Missouri Meerschaum" is so fitting for these cobs. After some miles are put on these pipes, the cob itself, as well as the plaster mixture that the company uses, begins to color similar to a block meerschaum.

I'm interested in buying a couple of the natural freehands when they become available again. I can see how those models can dry out much quicker, and perform much better than the plaster filled models. Not sure if the longevity will be there on the natural models though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

First broken pipe!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next