HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:33 am

I have five pipes on my "Holy Grail" list, two of which are Comoys Extraordinaire models, a 499 and a 498.  Earlier this week a non-pipe seller on Ebay listed this 498 Extraordinaire.  It was listed as a 283/Blue Riband which from the pictures I could see it was not.  I made an offer to the seller within an hour or so of the listing and was surprised that it was accepted.  If the auction had continued, it was unlikely I would have been able to stay in the game as this shape/finish is highly sought after by Comoys collectors.  I have a 499 Extrordinaire acquired earlier this year.  That one is mint and this 498 isn't quite as sharp, but I'm still thrilled to have acquired it.

I detailed the clean up in Steve Laugs Reborn Pipes blog:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/comoys-498-extraordinaire-restoration/

Here are some shots of what I started with and the finished pipe.  I'm waiting on a tube of black superglue to fill the dent in the bottom of the bowl and will post updated pictures when that task is complete.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:54 am

I love Comoy's and that's one I'd like to add to my collection. That's a fine pipe. Congrats!cheers 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:55 am

Congrats Al on your new acquisition. She is gorgeous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:34 am

What a cool score!
Those two are most envy inducing!cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm green with envy...and to think when I worked in a pipe shop I turned down opportunities for Comoy Extraordinaires because I thought they were too big for me (that was in the 60's...I've grown up since then.)...still kicking myself. Love the pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:18 pm

I have to let the briar dry a bit, but she'll be baptised on Sunday evening, I'm looking forward to this one, not a small amount of work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:30 pm

You seem to have a knack for finding just the pipes you want. Care to share your method?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:41 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
You seem to have a knack for finding just the pipes you want. Care to share your method?

Sure, I use Ebay, almost exclusively.

- I have searches set for all of my key brand (GBD, Comoys, etc.)
- I get email notifications when items are listed that match my search functions. The search can't be too specific, as non-pipe sellers often list pipes wrong. (as in the case of this Comoys Extraordinaire)
- The notifications come daily to my laptop, but they are immediate on the Ebay app on my phone. Sometimes if someone lists a BIN, and it is bought quickly, you might never know it was available, unless you searched for completed listings. I scan these notifications 6-7 times daily (yeah, its an addiction).
- If I see something that is on my list, rare, etc. I check out the seller, are they a pipe reseller? If so, odds are they know the value of a particular piece. If they are just an antique seller, they often don't know the value of a pipe (or they are way OVER priced for the same reason). I always contact the seller and offer to "buy it now" for $XX dollars. Most of the time they don't, but that's ok, I'll bid if I'm interested. Sometimes they say "yes", maybe they need the cash, etc.? Worst case scenario, you get a "no".
- If I'm going to bid, I never bid until the final 10 seconds. Sometimes if I'm traveling, and on my phone, it doesn't go thru in time, but that's the way it goes. I don't like tipping my hand until the last few seconds. I watch the time an auction will end, if it is early morning or afternoon, that decreases the interest and increases the odds of getting an item with a last second bid.
- I'm following 25-30 pipe auctions at any given time, for the brands I like. I rarely bid, but just make a mental note of the final bid. That gives me perspective on what to bid and in reselling.

Those are my strategies, which pay off occasionally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:45 pm

I'd say you are a collector, and collectors know their biz. Very nice collection, I'm sure. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
herbinedave

Registration date : 2012-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Another great looking pipe Al!!! Plus, I have been a small part of both acquisitions!Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Actually, "Holy Grail" isn't entirely hyperbolic with this beauty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Now we know how you have such a knack for finding these beauties Al!

But don't worry, I'm not active on e-bait so I'm no competition.

rabbit 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:11 pm

herbinedave wrote:
Another great looking pipe Al!!!  Plus, I have been a small part of both acquisitions!Very Happy 
Yep thank you, I pick up the Upshall on Monday!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:55 am

Great find - congratulations!cheers cheers

Your satisfaction at finally obtaining your collector's desire must be fantastic. It also happens to be a really beautiful pipe.

Enjoy smoking it brother!

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:19 pm

My tube of black Superglue came in from Stew-Mac and I completed the repair today. I'm pleased with the outcome and how well the black glue blended into the stem.

Repair:

Finished Repair:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Outstanding! Looks new!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm

riff raff wrote:
My tube of black Superglue came in from Stew-Mac and I completed the repair today.  I'm pleased with the outcome and how well the black glue blended into the stem.  

Repair:

Finished Repair:

Al, that's downright amazing. Seriously, I'm impressed.

I have a stem that has deep tooth marks and I'd love to get repaired such as you have done.

Can you elaborate on the Stew-Mac?

Cool 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Stewart-MacDonald.
They sell guitar repair supplies.
http://www.stewmac.com/?gclid=CNHu3ZfWlLgCFSVxQgod6l4AJQ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Those are both real sweethearts! Congrats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Harlock999 wrote:
Stewart-MacDonald.

Thanks Harlock!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire   Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Harlock999 wrote:
Stewart-MacDonald.

Thanks Harlock!

Cheers,

RR

Yep, luthiers use it to repair stringed instruments (fretboards I assume?).
It's really quite simple, pretty much like spackling a nail hole in dry wall. Slap some on, sand it smooth. I've used clear superglue with vulcanite dust mixed in to make it black, but this is simpler.
I did detail the repair and added those steps to my blog essay, with a few more pictures:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/comoys-498-extraordinaire-restoration/
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Holy Grail #2 - Comoys 498 Extraordinaire
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1