HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Last Sunday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:26 am

Today is my last Sunday at the church where I have been for the last four years. I will spend most of July in the Honduras in an immersion Spanish program, and start at a new parish August 1. The new parish has a Spanish service, so I need to gain some fluency.

I am told that Honduras is a very civilized place where pipe smokers are welcome in cafes. I will try to find a tobacconist and send a report on the state of pipe smoking in Central America.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371

PostSubject: Re: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:25 am

Seems odd. Every report talks about shortages and the importing of priests from Latin America. You'd think Spanish was overly common.

Foreign language services seem to have fallen by the wayside. In my youth, it was common -- especially in the Catholic church where every ethnic group funded its own parish for its neighborhood.

You guys have mellowed too. All Saints in Hammond had a a little Monsignor that terrified the town. Could have given Hitler lessons. The girl next door went to school there and the nuns? They could even outdo the Monsignor -- who they held in awe. Being like all the other girls in her class, she was going to be a nun. She wanted to whack knuckles and march troops too, I guess.

Times sure change I look back and chuckle at what was and wasn't -- then and now.

I admire dedication where found. You've got mine. Wasn't much Lutheran admiration for priest going around then. Word was you papists were all going to hell. Of course your sermons were pointing out the reverse. That little girl next door was really worried for my soul.

Que tengas un buen viaje.

Back to top Go down
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:38 am

What an exciting change for you Father Tom. I'm sure the parishioners in your current post are sad to see you leave. Given their relationship with cigars, I would guess the Hondura's also have pipe enthusiasts? Do keep us posted on how your move and new parish surroundings, it sounds fascinating to me. Travel safe and God Bless!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:39 am

Safe travels Father! Can't wait to hear about the trip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:53 am

Yes, safe travels, and try to stay cool down there. Buy some good bug dope and one of those Brita filtering water bottles.

the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:19 am

Blessings Father, if your new parish is anywhere near Long Beach Ca I will come over for some theological discussion over a nice pipe Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com

PostSubject: Re: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 am

Onward & Upward ! cheers 

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:40 pm

In the interests of full disclosure I should probably say that I am an Episcopal priest, so while I have great respect for the Bishop of Rome, I am not a Roman Catholic. I walk the via media. I have had a couple of great friends who were RC priests, and I made a pastoral call on one in the hospital yesterday. I used to attend a prayer group led by an Assemblies of God minister. We tend different flocks, but we have a lot more in common than people might imagine. We do the work we are called to, and I am not called to steal sheep. I want to support my brothers and sisters regardless of denomination.  

Right now, many established congregations have dwindling numbers because of changing demographics, culture, etc. Part of the demographic changes have involved increased Hispanic populations in the nearby neighborhoods. Churches are adding a service in Spanish where it is possible, just to meet the needs. These are first generation immigrants. You meet people where they are and walk with them.

So...   We are not getting priests from Latin America, but the Episcopal Church has strong connections there - 43 Episcopal parishes in Copan alone. The Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church USA is also the PB of Honduras, and our diocese is a companion diocese, etc.

I am excited by the prospect of all this and don't want to be off topic in BoB. I will try to establish a pipe connection with a report or review as part of the trip.

Thanks for all the kind wishes. The new parish is in the diocese of Northern Indiana. If I ever get to Long Beach, I will try to look you up, Rev. Those discussions don't have to be theological. I am happy talking about the blessing of OGS in a pipe that likes VaPer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371

PostSubject: Re: Last Sunday   Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Ahh, my bad again. Embarassed 

As a resident of Da Region, we have had another influx of Spanish speaking residents. Many of them though have been in the area since the early days or at least around WWII when they migrated to work in our mills. Solid people.

It looks like the congress is again addressing the problem our immigration policies have had. Although, a big part of that is adding to the border fencing. That give me your tired and poor bit has always accompanied contention. I am happy to hear your church wishes to serve that community.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you and you're looking forward to that challenge. Via con Dios seems quite appropriate here. Smile

P.S. It is great that you have ecumenism -- much better than my childhood with that childish competition that prevailed. It still is one God for many of us. It was interesting that after Vatican I attended English mass with a friend's family. Come to find out, I knew the liturgy by heart. Son of a gun... affraid 

Back to top Go down

Last Sunday
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1