HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 BoB and me...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
deepbass9

avatar

Age : 46
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: BoB and me...   Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah, so we're all different kinds of folks here, with different perspectives and whatnot...guess I'm not really saying anything new with that statement, but lets think of it as the framework to my thoughts....

I've been a member of many a forum over the years.  Usually it's based on a fact-finding mission of one sort or another.  Buy a new motorcycle, join the appropriate forum, glean required knowledge and kinda move on.  That's how it started for me here, years ago now.

My life brings me in and out of this fine collection of peps, and I try to contribute what I can as I am able.  Honestly, my pointed personality makes me keep myself in check often...hey, I come here for enjoyment and comradery, not to argue the finer points of my own beliefs ad nauseum.  Of course sometimes I feel the need to say something I feel may be important...but what's important to me, really, sometimes isn't important enough to get worked up over trying to convince others of my view.  That's what I like about this place most...the room given to us all as people and individuals.  And the feeling one can make a statement if one likes without having to pound the point home or down others gullets...without having to defend one's viewpoint, as it were, but simply make a statement.

As many have said recently, the feeling of brotherhood pervades this forum and keeps me coming back.  Even if only to read a bit, comment a bit, and feel like I'm still a part of something bigger than just myself or my hobby.  I often wish I had the wherewithal to be more active or proactive, but we all have to find our own balance.  And here is a place one can certainly do that.

I see, or rather have seen, close bonds of friendship form over the years I've been here, and I find that truly a warming feeling.  Yes, I bask somewhat in the glow of others successes and triumphs, as I feel like a member here...sharing in the bigger thing that BoB represents, though my part may be but a small one.  I laud the ease with which things happen for others, while knowing that the umbrella of brotherhood extends over my head, though I may not be leading a charge of my own (if you can get my gist...).  It's just a warm feeling that I find palpable on these pages...from the old heads of the board to the newbies jumping in.  It's just a nice thing altogether, even if it's larger than mere words can encompass.

That's what's keeps me coming back, when I can and where I can.  The genuineness of this board is something special, indeed.  It extends beyond pipes and tobak, and spills over into real life like no other forum I've joined.

So, here's a hearty thanks to all the folks that make this place special to me...even if it's not so apparent that I feel that way to others.  And here's to hoping that the feeling I feel is the feeling you feel, as well.  A fine place this is, for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Awww.... that makes me all warm and fuzzy........






jocolor 



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
AJ

avatar

Age : 68
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:29 am

It's the best forum on the web for the reasons you conveyed. The genuine atmosphere of brotherhood prevails throughout the entire forum. Many kudos to the moderators and administrators who rein in anybody who demonstrates the propensity to "foul" the air with behavior detrimental to the furtherance of camaraderie. You are not alone in your feelings about this forum. I believe most of the membership experiences these same feelings you expressed. It's why we are all here.

Like you I spent a considerable amount of time following this forum before I registered. It was what this forum lacked when compared to so many of the others on the web that influenced my decision to join. The lack of mean spirited personal attacks and adults acting like children having tantrums was a delight and refreshing to observe. There are no individual "celebrities" trying to dominate and run this forum to the tune of their own whims.

In this brotherhood the hand is just as important to the body as the leg. An individual member may not carry as much of the load as another member, yet his function is vital for the good health of this brotherhood. We all realize this and that's what makes it work.

Thanks deepbass9 for reminding us of who we are and what we mean to each other. This is the best forum of its type on the web and I'm very grateful to be accepted as a member.

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 73
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: BoB and me...   Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 am

ajn27511 wrote:
It's the best forum on the web for the reasons you conveyed. The genuine atmosphere of brotherhood prevails throughout the entire forum. Many kudos to the moderators and administrators who rein in anybody who demonstrates the propensity to "foul" the air with behavior detrimental to the furtherance of camaraderie. You are not alone in your feelings about this forum. I believe most of the membership experiences these same feelings you expressed. It's why we are all here.

Like you I spent a considerable amount of time following this forum before I registered. It was what this forum lacked when compared to so many of the others on the web that influenced my decision to join. The lack of mean spirited personal attacks and adults acting like children having tantrums was a delight and refreshing to observe. There are no individual "celebrities" trying to dominate and run this forum to the tune of their own whims.

In this brotherhood the hand is just as important to the body as the leg. An individual member may not carry as much of the load as another member, yet his function is vital for the good health of this brotherhood. We all realize this and that's what makes it work.

Thanks deepbass9 for reminding us of who we are and what we mean to each other. This is the best forum of its type on the web and I'm very grateful to be accepted as a member.

AJ


Can't say it any better than that. This forum is part of my life and hopefully will be so for long into the future. The quality of the character of the members is a good snapshot of what this country is really all about. Yes, we have some loud mouths and those whose superior attitude is recognized for what it is...just being a jerk. But overall, we are a strong and supporting group whose "love" for one another is truly remarkable. I'm humble and grateful to be here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Deep, Mr. Bass, or however you want to acknowledge him (pardon my referring to you as if you aren't here, by the way)...joined up before I did, but was probably at the peak of his posting back when I started hanging around this place. The guy isn't really concerned what you think of him, doesn't mince words unless totally necessary, and has a directness, intelligence and poise when he posts that speaks volumes of who he is and what he means. In essence, he ain't like me. Thank God for that. Laughing

A post like that from a chap like he means something. 'Cause he's right...

...and it's well worth maintaining this place to its own standard.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgtarheel

avatar

Age : 66
Location : The Tarheel State
Registration date : 2011-09-13

PostSubject: BoB and me   Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Very well said, my thoughts exactly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

avatar

Age : 70
Location : Southeast Michigan
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:03 pm

This is a brotherhood...so we are all brothers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andy Lowry



Age : 60
Location : Prescott, AZ, USA
Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm sure glad I happened upon this place. I've been part of others, but this is better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:41 pm

I joined a few other forums, but this one just fit best. Still does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Not everybody's idea of a diner worth going out of your way to eat at is a place that serves them a great big bowl of lukewarm tapioca.

Every . . . freaking . . . day . . .

And nothing else.

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 73
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: BoB and me...   Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:58 am

Yak wrote:
Not everybody's idea of a diner worth going out of your way to eat at is a place that serves them a great big bowl of lukewarm tapioca.

Every . . . freaking . . . day . . .

And nothing else.

What a Face 


And that is supposed to mean what?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:40 am

Quote :
And that is supposed to mean what?
You can't have light without darkness. Or heat without cold. Or joy without sorrow. Or friendship without animosity. Or success without failure.  Or the enjoyable without the disappointing. Or relief without anxiety.

Beautiful/Ugly. Virtue/Vice. That's the way duality IS. Everything depends on its opposite. If it were Christmas every day, there wouldn't be anything special about it.

The underlying assumption you wrote from seems to be that everybody's team should win the Superbowl. Every year. And if it doesn't, then there's something wrong with football.

People can learn -- expand their horizons -- from disagreeing with each other. An environment where that's going on is an interesting one. People find that appealing.  They seek places like that out.  In the same spirit in which they recognise the mentality Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegone mirrors, "where every child is above average" as such a bitter, obvious joke.

People get more than enough bullsh*t at "the workplace."  Everybody makes nice with everybody there, and "embraces diversity" because they have to. The social tone there is a collaborative fraud.

Pay attention to the human atmosphere in the kinds of places they go on weekends and learn something about people.

Real beats Nice. Wink 

Every Time. Cool 

What a Face
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 73
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: BoB and me...   Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:45 am

Clarified, thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:42 am

Overclarified :

When someone you respect agrees with you, it means something. Authentic meaning is sadly lacking in peoples' lives today, and they value it accordingly. It doesn't have to be in some big, important issue either. Appreciating the same aspect of the same tobacco will do. But it has to be spontaneous.

"Nice pipe !  Be sure and let us know how it smokes and eat shit while you're at it" doesn't.

On the other hand of duality, if what you're really after is to get your ass kissed, it's the easiest thing in the world. Just go into a store and pretend you're looking to buy something expensive. Or eat at places where you're well-known as a big tipper.

Ever seen people seeking a sense of personal importance like that ?  I have.

Are they people you admire ?

Probably not, but have you watched a Pirates game recently ? Or any team on a roll ?  The atmosphere in the dugout is one of light-hearted shit-disturbance. Guys are hugging the railing, intent on what's happening on the field. While that's going on, somebody behind them is seeing if he can stick a big wad of bubble gum on the top button of one of them's cap. And, if he succeeds, how long it will be before the guy notices it. Heads up. It's an active conspiracy to maintain liveliness.

Shit disturbance is absolutely necessary. It keeps things interesting.  The people like king & P ) & afro  & LL (somebody lost the ewe icon) & Peeb (ditto hobo icon) [NOT leaving anybody out on purpose. Search the member list by join date if you want them all. Those are just some of the livelier ones] who carried this place over when the Knoxboard sank and planted it here understood that -- the guys who made it what it was by their being here and interacting with each other. They were "ripe" enough as people that they took it for granted, without anybody having to explain it to them, that the fact that somebody was "family" didn't mean his sh*t didn't stink.

You could think of that as a conspiracy to protect the value of agreement when agreement happened spontaneously. And THAT was what made it such an attractive place to hang out -- as a guy on the team, or as a guy in the stands, watching. It was Reality TV before there was Reality TV.

Compare that to ANY other pipe board (a.k.a., funeral).

A key element in this was that if somebody thought somebody else was full of sh*t, he was going to say so -- at length and in detail. In Jimmy's case, often in a lengthy and entertainingly imaginative, colorful manner. His ridicule was performance art.

Were there arschenlochen here who received tar-&-feathers encouragement to depart ?  Sure. A number of them. This is the way any healthy social organism defends itself against alien pathogens. It's no different from the way the white blood cells in your body behave.

Q : Shut down any immune system and you've created what ?
A : AIDS

Every time I figure the house has reached Kitty Saturation level, Mrs. Yak finds another tiny, homeless, otherwise-doomed-to-perish kitten. The most recent one (the plug that connects the camera to the computer's broken) goes by "Kitty Bug," because that's what she (?) looks like. That small, and that ungainly with too-long wobbly legs and oversized little buggy-looking kitty eyes that just opened a couple weeks ago and don't focus very well yet.

Watch even one of these jokers grow up and it dawns on you what a fanatically single-minded program a kitten is running : to explore everything in the house that can be explored, climb everything that can be climbed, and investigate everything in the world that can be investigated. Elbow Room is the Kitty Categorical Imperative in a nutshell.

It's the same with an adult cat. No matter how affectionate (and they all are, in their own ways) no cat will put up with being made a toy of. That isn't what they're here for. They WILL BE THEIR OWN CATS and, on that basis, your genuine friends. Not otherwise.

People can learn a lot from cats.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Dammit, Yak...I was good with warm tapioca.   Not literally, just the reference.   Laughing 

Do you know how to clarify butter for cooking?   It's an interesting method of heating the butter just right and removing the protein solids and water so all that remains is the butterfat.  Clarified butter has a little more strength to heat and a particularly even flavor...any guess what over-clarifying in this process is called?  

Burnt butter.  Its use is limited to seasoning cast iron for the flavor and purpose are long gone.

IWO, it cratered after the Pirates reference.   By the way, the Pirates have been brightening my baseball days lately.   As has BoB.   And and agreeing with and being agreed with by people that matter.   Laughing Yet, things change, people move on...guys get traded and become free agents. Sometimes eras end. Other times new ones are born.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:06 pm

IWO = IMO ?

Worlds come in different sizes, I guess (?) scratch 

What a Face
Back to top Go down
deepbass9

avatar

Age : 46
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:01 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Deep, Mr. Bass, or however you want to acknowledge him (pardon my referring to you as if you aren't here, by the way)...joined up before I did, but was probably at the peak of his posting back when I started hanging around this place.   The guy isn't really concerned what you think of him, doesn't mince words unless totally necessary, and has a directness, intelligence and poise when he posts that speaks volumes of who he is and what he means.  In essence, he ain't like me.   Thank God for that.   Laughing

A post like that from a chap like he means something.    'Cause he's right...

...and it's well worth maintaining this place to its own standard.  

Cool

It's just deepbass9, or Dave if you prefer.

Astute assessment; I thank you for what I consider kind words and your ability to distill a profile based on my meager postings.  Especially the "he ain't like me" part lol!   I don't think I have the energy within for that!



Yak wrote:
Overclarified :

When someone you respect agrees with you, it means something. Authentic meaning is sadly lacking in peoples' lives today, and they value it accordingly. It doesn't have to be in some big, important issue either. Appreciating the same aspect of the same tobacco will do. But it has to be spontaneous.

"Nice pipe !  Be sure and let us know how it smokes and eat shit while you're at it" doesn't.

On the other hand of duality, if what you're really after is to get your ass kissed, it's the easiest thing in the world. Just go into a store and pretend you're looking to buy something expensive. Or eat at places where you're well-known as a big tipper.

Ever seen people seeking a sense of personal importance like that ?  I have.

Are they people you admire ?

Probably not, but have you watched a Pirates game recently ? Or any team on a roll ?  The atmosphere in the dugout is one of light-hearted shit-disturbance. Guys are hugging the railing, intent on what's happening on the field. While that's going on, somebody behind them is seeing if he can stick a big wad of bubble gum on the top button of one of them's cap. And, if he succeeds, how long it will be before the guy notices it. Heads up. It's an active conspiracy to maintain liveliness.

Shit disturbance is absolutely necessary. It keeps things interesting.  The people like king & P ) & afro  & LL (somebody lost the ewe icon) & Peeb (ditto hobo icon) [NOT leaving anybody out on purpose. Search the member list by join date if you want them all. Those are just some of the livelier ones] who carried this place over when the Knoxboard sank and planted it here understood that -- the guys who made it what it was by their being here and interacting with each other. They were "ripe" enough as people that they took it for granted, without anybody having to explain it to them, that the fact that somebody was "family" didn't mean his sh*t didn't stink.

You could think of that as a conspiracy to protect the value of agreement when agreement happened spontaneously. And THAT was what made it such an attractive place to hang out -- as a guy on the team, or as a guy in the stands, watching. It was Reality TV before there was Reality TV.

Compare that to ANY other pipe board (a.k.a., funeral).

A key element in this was that if somebody thought somebody else was full of sh*t, he was going to say so -- at length and in detail. In Jimmy's case, often in a lengthy and entertainingly imaginative, colorful manner. His ridicule was performance art.

Were there arschenlochen here who received tar-&-feathers encouragement to depart ?  Sure. A number of them. This is the way any healthy social organism defends itself against alien pathogens. It's no different from the way the white blood cells in your body behave.

Q : Shut down any immune system and you've created what ?
A : AIDS

Every time I figure the house has reached Kitty Saturation level, Mrs. Yak finds another tiny, homeless, otherwise-doomed-to-perish kitten. The most recent one (the plug that connects the camera to the computer's broken) goes by "Kitty Bug," because that's what she (?) looks like. That small, and that ungainly with too-long wobbly legs and oversized little buggy-looking kitty eyes that just opened a couple weeks ago and don't focus very well yet.

Watch even one of these jokers grow up and it dawns on you what a fanatically single-minded program a kitten is running : to explore everything in the house that can be explored, climb everything that can be climbed, and investigate everything in the world that can be investigated. Elbow Room is the Kitty Categorical Imperative in a nutshell.

It's the same with an adult cat. No matter how affectionate (and they all are, in their own ways) no cat will put up with being made a toy of. That isn't what they're here for. They WILL BE THEIR OWN CATS and, on that basis, your genuine friends. Not otherwise.

People can learn a lot from cats.

What a Face


Sleep ...Yak on my brother...you do it very well...What a Face...and I know I don't have the energy for that!


Let me close by saying, though, just 'cause something claims to be a "brotherhood" don't make it so.  In this place, however, one can see those who embrace the meaning behind the word.  As Yak says, from PB to Kyle, to the stoppers-by and the ever-presents; this microcosm is comprised of that which makes the macro...but somehow it seems more genuine and earnest in nature.  I guess it helps that those that don't get 'it' don't seem to stay around for long....

Oh, and damn but Hop Devil is one fine-ass beer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:17 am

Yak wrote:
IWO = IMO ?

Worlds come in different sizes, I guess (?)  scratch

What a Face

Apparently so!   Laughing  At least my typo sub-conscious is confident.   tongue 

deepbass9 wrote:


It's just deepbass9, or Dave if you prefer.

Astute assessment; I thank you for what I consider kind words and your ability to distill a profile based on my meager postings.  Especially the "he ain't like me" part lol!   I don't think I have the energy within for that!

It's less energy and more a mental game.  In the usual sense of the word.    Plus, I have no idea what would happen if I quit at this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 73
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: BoB and me...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:39 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Yak wrote:
IWO = IMO ?

Worlds come in different sizes, I guess (?)  scratch

What a Face

Apparently so!   Laughing  At least my typo sub-conscious is confident.   tongue 

deepbass9 wrote:


It's just deepbass9, or Dave if you prefer.

Astute assessment; I thank you for what I consider kind words and your ability to distill a profile based on my meager postings.  Especially the "he ain't like me" part lol!   I don't think I have the energy within for that!

It's less energy and more a mental game.  In the usual sense of the word.    Plus, I have no idea what would happen if I quit at this point.


You would cease to be you...and we can't have that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Cornelius, NC
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 pm

excellent post deepbass, and what kind of subwoofers do you use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

avatar

Age : 46
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:34 pm

hobie1dog wrote:
excellent post deepbass, and what kind of subwoofers do you use?

Eminence...they're in my bass cabs, not my car afro 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

avatar

Location : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 pm

deepbass9 wrote:
hobie1dog wrote:
excellent post deepbass, and what kind of subwoofers do you use?

Eminence...they're in my bass cabs, not my car afro 

Excellent answer!
I like Celestion green backs for guitar,
JBL D-130's for bass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Bass cabinets are 1,000x more favorable than bass cars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Bass cabinets are 1,000x more favorable than bass cars.  

Really?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: BoB and me...   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Fillet 'O VW? WTF??? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
BoB and me...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: