HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Motorcycle madness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Motorcycle madness   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:35 am

Man, I really miss owning and riding motorcycles. Today reinforced why I do not own one up here. I came into work and saw the result of a motorcycle versus moose. I think I will stick to my Jeep What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:59 am

Pics?Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fatman

Registration date : 2013-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:05 am

Sorry, HIPAA and all that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:57 am

We have no moose to worry about here in Maryland, just cages....a 48 yr old woman was t-boned on Monday evening, no helmet (riding in PA, five miles away), DOA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slartibartfast

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:15 am

Another reason to run straight pipes IMO - make sure they hear ya comin'! Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:07 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Another reason to run straight pipes IMO - make sure they hear ya comin'!   Twisted Evil 

I'll second the loud pipe debate. Since putting on a set of Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes 3 years ago i havn't had any "close calls" from wildlife or half blind/deaf cage drivers since. Only problem now is trying to sneek thru urban areas quietly enough to not get a noise ticket with the new laws just past 2years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:07 pm

No moose here either, but I'll be danged if some elderly lady wouldn't pull out in front of me and kill me dead. I miss riding something fierce, but until my family just won't need me (which is most likely a long way out), I've resolved to not riding.

The thing that really bugs me about my decision not to ride is this:

I run almost every day, and it wouldn't take but a texting teen to meander off the road and flatten me. It's thoughts like that, that make me say, heck with it, just ride and pray. Very Happy 

This used to be my bike...

"Murdercycle"...as my Dad used to call them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:50 pm

can't live life in a bubble and you'll wake up one day in a Nursing Home in shitty diapers watching re-runs of Oprah thinking about how you wish you would have lived life to its fullest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stereointegrity.com
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:58 pm

hobie1dog wrote:
can't live life in a bubble and you'll wake up one day in a Nursing Home in shitty diapers watching re-runs of Oprah thinking about how you wish you would have lived life to its fullest.
amen brother.

i ride a ducati 999.

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Pretty much the same here....bubbles are for bubble boys, and I'm fortunate enough to not be one. Keep those eyes scanning, boyz....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CACooper

Registration date : 2009-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Fatman wrote:
Man, I really miss owning and riding motorcycles. Today reinforced why I do not own one up here. I came into work and saw the result of a motorcycle versus moose. I think I will stick to my Jeep What a Face

I could do a web search and find many ugly photos of Jeep and/or car collisions with a multitude of objects.  Would seeing these horrific images make you give up driving a car?  Most likely not.  Sure, an automobile provides more protection in the event of an accident, but the risk of serious injury or death remains.  Such is life on this planet.  Any speed above a walking pace increases the chance of injury.  Sh*t happens, even to the most cautious.

I've ridden now for over 40 years.  I'm a charter life member of the American Motorcyclist Association (25 years).  I've crossed the U.S. several times without incident.  Lucky?  Perhaps.  Skilled?  Definitely.  I've survived a few spills over the years, mostly my fault, and I've avoided many scrapes by knowing what to do instinctively (counter-steering, front brake usage, etc.).  Practice, practice, practice.  Oh, and always ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time).  Will I have another accident? Unknown.  But I will use every ounce of my skill to avoid one.

If fear is keeping you from taking up riding again, you are probably wise to stay on four wheels.  Motorcycling is definitely NOT for everybody.

By the way, contrary to popular belief, loud pipes really don't save lives, they merely annoy politicians and the general public.  You will eventually install quieter mufflers on your bike, or the government will force you to do it.  Several cities and states require EPA compliant exhausts.  Here in the city of Denver, if no EPA stamping on the muffler is visible (i.e. factory exhaust) an immediate $500 fine is issued.  The police don't even have to hear it, just the stamping is required.  The law is draconian for sure, but Denver is getting much quieter as a result.

To all my fellow riders out there - Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.  And watch out for the other guy.  Or moose, for that matter.

Ride safe.

CACooper
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.pipeandpouch.com
Sean68

Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul...   Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:11 am

Gentleman,

Financial strife once caused me to sell my last motorcycle, after having had two in the garage for nearly ten years. It would be almost five years before I was able to purchase my next motorcycle. I don't ever want to live in that hell again...

Sean
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZuluCollector

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:41 am

I rode from the the time I was 16 until I was 44. Upon seeing how people drive here in Washington, DC, I decided I wouldn't have a chance of survival here. I miss riding terribly, but I'm still alive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.apassionforpipes.com
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Rode thru northern Maine at night a few years ago on the way to Nova Scotia. Won't do that again. Saw as many moose as vehicles.

Tried the loud pipe thing many years ago, bothered me more than anything, or anybody else. Besides, except in the city, 90% of the noise is behind you. Nothing worse than riding a couple thousand miles behind someone with loud pipes.

I live in a larger metro area too, I just don't ride local. Mostly long distance touring, several times a year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:10 pm

riff raff wrote:
We have no moose to worry about here in Maryland, just cages....a 48 yr old woman was t-boned on Monday evening, no helmet (riding in PA, five miles away), DOA.  

We here in PA refer to that as the PA Organ Donor program. Don't mean to sound callous, but put a damn helmet on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Briarbabe wrote:
riff raff wrote:
We here in PA refer to that as the PA Organ Donor program. Don't mean to sound callous, but put a damn helmet on.
What's a helmet going to do when you slam into to something going 75 miles an hour?
Oh! They'll be able to bury your head intact or pour out what's left of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Sean68

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:50 am

Briarbabe wrote:
riff raff wrote:
I wear a full face helmet at all times. For my own sake and also to set a good example for my daughter who wants to ride her own motorcycle someday. I have been riding for many years and have seen enough to know that a helmet, particularly a race based full face helmet, makes a very big difference in the severity of injuries in many if not most accidents. I also believe in leather jackets with reinforcements, gloves and boots. The helmet won't do anything for your feet so leave the flip flops at home.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Sean68 wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
riff raff wrote:
I wear a full face helmet at all times. For my own sake and also to set a good example for my daughter who wants to ride her own motorcycle someday. I have been riding for many years and have seen enough to know that a helmet, particularly a race based full face helmet, makes a very big difference in the severity of injuries in many if not most accidents. I also believe in leather jackets with reinforcements, gloves and boots. The helmet won't do anything for your feet so leave the flip flops at home.

Good on you Sean. Me too, I've seen quite a few accidents where a helmet was the deciding factor between life and death.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:01 pm

This is my current ride: A 2007 Honda Reflex with only 3800 miles on it.
I used to do the large/loud motorcycle thing, but after pulling a muscle in my lower back years ago I had to go to something lighter.  Of course the fuel economy is pretty good too.  I also like the front fairing and incredible amount of storage capacity.  I can store 2 full-face helmets (1 in the trunk & 1 under the seat) and still have room for a few grocery bags.  Not to mention the glove box and dash cubby.  Cool 

The biggest animal threat around here are deer.  Man they are thick this year.  Other than that, drunks coming home from the bar can always make a night time cruise interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sean68

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:53 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
This is my current ride: A 2007 Honda Reflex with only 3800 miles on it.
I used to do the large/loud motorcycle thing, but after pulling a muscle in my lower back years ago I had to go to something lighter.  Of course the fuel economy is pretty good too.  I also like the front fairing and incredible amount of storage capacity.  I can store 2 full-face helmets (1 in the trunk & 1 under the seat) and still have room for a few grocery bags.  Not to mention the glove box and dash cubby.  Cool 

The biggest animal threat around here are deer.  Man they are thick this year.  Other than that, drunks coming home from the bar can always make a night time cruise interesting.
So, after years of living in Europe I find scooters to be one of the most practical forms of transportation and downright fun, too. You should see them dominating traffic in rush hour traffic in old French and Spanish cities! If I lived in a city I would ride one for sure.

And I agree that the most challenging riding is on Friday and Saturday nights when the drunks are out. When I buy my daughter her first motorcycle it will be in the garage during those hours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:49 am

I'm pretty sure, that for a lot of people, riding motorcycles is all about the adrenaline rush and the danger involved. If you were to eliminate the element of danger, a lot of people simply would not ride.

If you like the feeling of the wind against your body, you could just buy a convertible, and eliminate a lot of the risk involved in being on 2 wheels with little protection.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sean68

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:48 am

Dutch wrote:
I'm pretty sure, that for a lot of people, riding motorcycles is all about the adrenaline rush and the danger involved. If you were to eliminate the element of danger, a lot of people simply would not ride.

If you like the feeling of the wind against your body, you could just buy a convertible, and eliminate a lot of the risk involved in being on 2 wheels with little protection.

Dutch, my friend, I agree. The danger factor plays alot into the initial attraction of riding and can play into how we ride and what we ride. I don't ride my Triumph Speed Triple for it's efficiency...

I will wear the gear so I can enjoy that S-curve with my knee on the ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaydeG

Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Mon May 05, 2014 10:19 pm

I'm with you, man. Full face helmet, mesh jacket with Kevlar shoulders/elbows, jeans and good riding boots… and good gloves. I'd rather sit our in July and August here in Texas than take a chance. Spring is a no brainer. September, October and even into November, ride's pretty nice. Love the Speed Triples but I'm and old school guy who misses my Bonneville T120 This was shot when I bought her. Added some tasteful mods since then.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Tue May 06, 2014 8:39 am

Wow, I love that Scrambler (I put 50k on a 2002 America). Lucifer Orange is my favorite Triumph color as well. Ride safe!
I have my '66 Triumph chopper on Craigslist. Its just too unsafe (brakes, lights or lack thereof). If I can sell it, I really want to pick up a used Scrambler. That sit-up and beg riding position is just right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaydeG

Registration date : 2011-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycle madness   Tue May 06, 2014 11:07 pm

riff raff wrote:
Wow, I love that Scrambler (I put 50k on a 2002 America).  Lucifer Orange is my favorite Triumph color as well.  Ride safe!
I have my '66 Triumph chopper on Craigslist.  Its just too unsafe (brakes, lights or lack thereof).  If I can sell it, I really want to pick up a used Scrambler.  That sit-up and beg riding position is just right.  

Im a fairly tall guy at 6'3"+ and the cruiser riding position kills my back. I seriously considered the new Honda CB 1100 but it wasn't retro enough… and I love the upswept pipes on the Scrambler. That being said the only other bikes I might consider adding (strictly for road trips) are a Road Glide, a Cross Country and a Rocket III.

I can't think of the last time I went on a substantial ride when someone didn't come up to me ask ask what year my Triumph is. They're shocked when I tell 'em it's an 08. The most fun I've had on a bike since my 85 VF1000R.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Motorcycle madness
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next