HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Fetching a pretty impressive price. Even with the gold and the nomenclature, it's going for a fortune.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300925981352?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Take away the gold band & the white spot and it doesn't have that much on my Sasquatch.

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:24 pm

I haven't seen your Sas, but that Dunhill has spectacular angel hair straight grain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Well, it does say " 1 of 1" on the shank so you'll have a true one-off that no one else would have . Got to sty up with ones priorities in life Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HCraven

Registration date : 2012-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Whatever you think of the pipe, wouldn't it suck to be the guy who apparently got outbid by $.01 on a $6,100.00 pipe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:47 pm

<shaking head>

monkey 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Quote :
I haven't seen your Sas

It's been in two fairly recent posts, FWIW.

What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Very strange.

I went back just now to find the threads & link to them.

In this thread
http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t23822-todd-bannards-let-s-see-em

I posted a link to this thread
http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t23265-sasquatch

When I click on it, what comes up is
The topic or post you requested does not exist

The second thread has been similarly erased.

Somebody here must like me even more than I suspected  Laughing 

Or else he's got a grudge with Sas ? scratch 

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:33 pm

That Dunnie is a super nice piece of wood. Very, very finely grained. 6000 bucks worth? Well, someone thinks so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Yak wrote:
Very strange.
In this thread
Or else he's got a grudge with Sas ?  scratch 
What a Face

I don't think anyone's messing with you Yak. That post was in the midst of the "New Editor for Forumotion" surprise for the forum last month when everything got screwed up and the format got tweaked. . I lost a pic I had posted at that time too.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:29 pm

I agree it's a gorgeous pipe, and I wasn't Dunhill bashing (I like em well enough), but you could see the bidding frenzy coming a mile off on this one.

One of one, made specially for Iwan Ries for an anniversary. I don't know if the shop stamping on the gold band helps or detracts from the value, honestly. The grain is pretty damned nice. Pipe is probably worth close to a grand without that white dot and those stars.

Definitely a collectors pipe. I'd smoke it and ruin it.

Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:39 pm

BTW, this collectors chaser special shouldn't go unmentioned.

First Ashton ever carved

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:

Definitely a collectors pipe. I'd smoke it and ruin it.

Same here Twisted Evil  But then we are Pipe Smokers, not Collectors Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 pm

DR (Dead Root) Dunhills almost always bring outrageous prices. Unsmoked DR's don't show up very often. Like Sas said, wonderful pipe - but $6k wonderful? Only to the right collector. I suspect this one will never see a match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:

First Ashton ever carved

Definitely signs the economy is getting better, or the top %s are spending Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:50 pm

riff raff wrote:
...this one will never see a match.  

I'd have Kyle christen it with his beloved Borkum Riff. If you're going to deflower and defile something, do it with some authority.

Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:37 am

Puff Daddy wrote:

First Ashton ever carved
I was following this one, just out of curiosity, it went for a bit over 3K. As far as the Dunhill, I would think the Iwan Reis detracts from it a bit. Some people can spend 6K on a pipe like I spend $50, doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:12 am

fantasy-land
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:35 am

I agree the selling price of this pipe was ridiculous. It was a tremendously grained piece however and probably the nicest Dunhill I ever saw, but still. I do not understand how someone could buy a pipe with no intention of ever smoking it. There are cooler useless objects of art you could frivolously spend your money on if you just want to look at them. A pipe is a tool for smoking tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 am

The gold band (check the fit !)* is guilding the lilly, IMO. Like eye-catching jewelry on a woman so beautiful she doesn't need it.

In the traditional aesthetic, silver (and more often, nickel silver) bands were put on exceedingly plain and/or rusticated pipes to make them look like they had something going for them.

Grain that nice doesn't need attention distracted from it.

What a Face

The shank end under a band made integrally is turned down by the thickness of the band, with the result that there's no step up at the edge of it.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:56 am

Too rich for my pocket but it is a gorgeous pipe, I too would smoke it so just as well I can't afford it I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckshot

Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am

Yak wrote:
Very strange.

In this thread

Or else he's got a grudge with Sas ?  scratch 

What a Face

What is even stranger is when I click on your avatar I get the message

The member or poster you requested does not exist.

If I were you I would be a little worried.  jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

If I were throwing big bucks around on expensive & oversized showpieces, I'd get this one :
http://mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee1727.html
and save a lot of money.

Check the grain on the other side !!  Shocked 

What a Face

Last edited by Yak on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jhenderson

Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:37 pm

I can see collecting things that will be used. If I buy a pipe, I will smoke it regardless of its value or collectibility. I would love to have the dunhill and the ashton. I would enjoy them both the way they were intended to be enjoyed, by smoking them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.   Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Agreed, a G-grade Upshall is a wonderful thing. A shop in VA showed me an umsmoked E grade a few months back, they wanted $800 for it, the grain was incredible (it's still there if someone has a spare $800!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Apparently they still like their fancy Dunhills.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next