HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hope for a Bad Pipe Design to Smoke Well?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NorthernLights

Registration date : 2013-07-12

PostSubject: Hope for a Bad Pipe Design to Smoke Well?   Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 am

Newish smoker.

Have an older pipe, which is my father's. I'll keep it until the day I die, but man, I can NOT get the thing to smoke well.

The bowl descends at a 45o angle, very distinctly, and because of that, it is always burning down the front edge, and doesn't seem to smoke well. It always gives a wet, hot smoke, compared to my other pipe. (Singular, yes!).

Is there any hope for being able to smoke my father's pipe well, or is it just a bad design? It is, obviously, of sentimental value, that I learn to make this thing work well for me, even if it requires more work than it should.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer insight Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Hope for a Bad Pipe Design to Smoke Well?   Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 am

I have a few of those. My first pipe is very much the same way. If it's a design issue, there are some fine folks on this board who could probably fix it for you.

I would highly recommend drying your tobacco a bit more prior to smoking it and see what happens. With my bent pipes especially, I always keep pipe cleaners on hand when I sit down to smoke. I run them down the the stem almost to the bowl to absorb built up moisture during each smoke, mostly whenever the pipe starts to gurgle. With new pipes I continue to do this until I get a good cake built up in the bowl, at that point I usually find myself reaching for the cleaners less and less. I also notice that pipes that tend to get hot when smoking get less hot with a good cake. Other than that, try to smoke slower.

If this doesn't work, I would look for a pipe expert to adjust the airway for you some..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Hope for a Bad Pipe Design to Smoke Well?   Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 am

Don't know what you mean by the bowl descending. Granted, a poor design can cause problems, but a hot wet smoker is more often the cause of low quality briar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hope for a Bad Pipe Design to Smoke Well?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1