HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

big pipes and half bowls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: big pipes and half bowls   Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Anyone else prefer larger pipes, but because of various circumstances, you only pack half bowls on the regular?

I've tried smaller pipes over the years (groups 2 and 3), but I tend not to like how they feel in the hand or how they look. The feel is key. I prefer group 5s and bigger. I rarely have time for a full bowl in these larger pipes, so I pack them half full. I don't think it hinders the smoke or performance of the pipe. Some would disagree and feel a pipe is to be packed to the brim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Anyone else prefer larger pipes, but because of various circumstances, you only pack half bowls on the regular?

I've tried smaller pipes over the years (groups 2 and 3), but I tend not to like how they feel in the hand or how they look.  The feel is key.  I prefer group 5s and bigger.  I rarely have time for a full bowl in these larger pipes, so I pack them half full.  I don't think it hinders the smoke or performance of the pipe.  Some would disagree and feel a pipe is to be packed to the brim.

I pack even my large bowls ( grp 5 & larger) completely but most of my blend choices DTG well so I often will ( at night when it's getting late) just only smoke 1/2 a bowl put a cleaner in it and resume in the morning. I rarely pack and smoke just a half bowl. Plays hell if done to often with the cake IMHO Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 am

If you're smoking flakes as flakes, it can take a while on the way down for the whole thing to get going properly.

FWIW

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:27 am

At first, I would sometimes underpack and never hit that sweet spot of a smoke, but I cannot remember the last time it happened. It's been a long time. It was a short learning curve.

I haven't run into much of a problem with weird caking. I know that might sound unlikely, but I really haven't found a ledge, or edge, of a cake that would be problematic for the briar or the smoke. For whatever reasons of how I smoke, I've never been one to have a lot of cake build-up in my pipes. It happens because it is the nature of things, but even with around ten pipes in a constant rotation, I'm not cutting cake very often. I have more build-up in the draft hole than I do in the bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:54 am

My implication being that you could end up almost getting there by the time it went out with half a bowl.

Probably depends on how big the "half" is (?)

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:49 am

I like large bowls, but I fill em up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 am

I prefer small-medium sized pipes, but I do have a few big'uns. I have never smoked more than 3/4 of a bowl in my Todd Harris Mega Dublin, and rarely fill it more than half way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 am

I generally fill all of my pipes only about 3/4. Don't have to worry about scorching the rim (or burning my pants (g)). I smoke medium to large pipes BTW. Occasionally have to ream a little, generally run my tamper down the sides as I tamp which keeps it under control..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:30 pm

I have been favoring smaller pipes more and more, mostly due to strength and intensity of tobacco. :shrug: It's difficult to find smaller new pipes, as bigger is usually "better" these days--if product availability is any indicator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Hey, Buddy -- this is AMERICA ! Bigger is ALWAYS better !

Like some fries with that ?

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Yak wrote:
Hey, Buddy -- this is AMERICA !  Bigger is ALWAYS better !

Like some fries with that ?

What a Face

Supersize me! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:35 pm

I do prefer DH size 4 or larger, though I have numerous smaller bowl pipes. I may not fill to the very top of the bowl, but never done 1/2 or so. But if you like it, do it!!!!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gramnum1

Registration date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Personally I have a pipe for every desired smoking length. For longer smokes I go for my muerto amarilllio, for medium my la roca, and for a quick smoke I use my corncob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: big pipes and half bowls   Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:57 pm

My largest pipes I reserve for Billy Budd. Then my next largest pipes I enjoy either McClelland 5110, or Rattray's #7 Medium. Large pipes have their place in my rotation, but truth be told, I really enjoy most of my 50 gram or less pipes the most. In those pipes, it is usually always a quality flake tobacco. It is just the best of both worlds, without having to give up anything in the usual law of diminishing returns. Cool 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

big pipes and half bowls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1