HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Our very own JKenP (Ken) contacted me earlier to let me know he had financed a Plateaux pipe kit for me from none other than Mark Tinsky, shipping the works so I can make at least one truly delightful pipe. It'll take up to 3 weeks to get to me but WOW, how amazingly exciting is that, a Tinsky Plateaux pipe kit, I was lost for words when Ken told me of this. Ken sent me off to contact Mark personally to let him know the sort of kit I should like, just in case it were possible I was very specific about what I should like the kit to be suitable for in terms of the pipe I would like to carve from it. If I get half of the spec's I asked for then I shall be an exceedingly happy puppy, I have a pipe idea floating around in me noggin I'd love to make, if Mark can do what I asked then it will be a stunning pipe.

Such a wonderful surprise Ken, thank you very much Brother. Smile

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:19 pm

May it bring joy.

Anyone that might want to add a pipe kit for him and save some shipping should contact Mark (mtATmt.net) about that.  Mark is being very accommodating and deserves the credit.

http://webshop.amsmoke.com/Pipe-Kits/

Last edited by JKenP on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Good ya Ken!

I love you 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Good looking out Ken! cheers 

If I had the extra dough I'd help, but I'm in your boat too, Kirk.

Hope it brings you hours of joy and confidence! We all know you'll make something beautiful with it. cheers 

Draagha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Ken! cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Class act Ken...almost makes up for how you are around here. lol!

Kirk, better make a nice one, Tinskys briar is awesome. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leftover421

Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:14 pm

cheers Kirk! cheers Enjoy! You deserve it!

cheers Ken! cheers Good on ya! Very classy thing to do!

Honestly, this made my day! So thank you both for showing me there is still some good out there!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Wonderful gesture Ken. cheers 

Congrats Kirk Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:25 am

No pressure then Guys, no seriously, I fully intend to make the best pipe I can with this kit Ken has so very kindly arranged for me.

I have heard only good things about Mark and his Briar Kyle so I totally respect where you're coming from there, wish I could figure out the best site to buy Briar blocks from myself.

Draagha, please please do not feel at odds my friend, as I said to you in PM's my friend, the fact that you have such warmth and kindness in your heart for me provides me with something infinitely more valuable than any monetary gift could grant me, it grants me belief in myself my friend, how could any other gift be greater. I love you 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:47 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Class act Ken...almost makes up for how you are around here.  lol!

Well, one of us had to come up with a redeeming grace sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 am

Very classy indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:06 am

Briarbabe wrote:
Very classy indeed.

Not really. Folks here will attest I'm more mad magazine type than champagne and caviar wishes.

The reason for this is my getting honked that some briar shop sold him their seconds and it was infuriating enough to simply do something about it. So, think anger and not class.
Back to top Go down
Draagha

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 am

Class act or angry vengeance, it helped a brother out. I think I can safely say that's all that matters to us Ken What a Face 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:29 am

Briarbabe wrote:
Very classy indeed.

My thought precisely. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 pm

JKenP wrote:
Briarbabe wrote:
Very classy indeed.

Not really.  Folks here will attest I'm more mad magazine type than champagne and caviar wishes.

The reason for this is my getting honked that some briar shop sold him their seconds and it was infuriating enough to simply do something about it.  So, think anger and not class.

Really? Ah yes, well then, let me try again.
Very classy indeed. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Great show of brotherly love Ken. Can't wait to see what you make with it Kirk. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:06 am

i.keenum wrote:
Great show of brotherly love Ken. Can't wait to see what you make with it Kirk. Very Happy 

I should have some tools here when it arrives, they all arrive actually as John (therev) is also getting Mark to send me a kit and Scot (Slide) is getting Mark to send me a bit of Briar to work on, I will be able to do them all better justice with some better tools. I know, a bad workman always blames his tools, pooey to that say I, I have worked fairly well with what I have here but once I have tools which work well it shouldn't take me in excess of 18 hours of filing to get a bowl shaped. I don't begrudge the time spent on them, in fact I grow to love each pipe all the more with time spent working them but it does start to get quite painful after about 12 hours of filing and there are quite a few hours yet to go.

Strangest part for me with starting to make pipes is how many people are wondering why I don't make 'normal' looking pipes, I don't want to make traditional pipes, they bore me to be honest. I respect traditional shapes but I am not a machine, I don't want to make yet more pipes exactly the same as everyone else. I want to make shapes for pipes which make my heart soar in the wind, I also don't want to make any sort of profit on making pipes. If any pipe I make is intended to make me money it would sadden my heart and darken my soul, I know my pipes will never appeal to collectors, I don't want pipes I make to be collected, I want them to be smoked and enjoyed.

I absolutely adore the idea of people smoking one of my pipes in front of others and the others saying "that's a weird looking pipe huh" and the pipe owner saying "yeah I know, it's a Briar Spirit Pipe, his pipes are as weird as he is", that totally floats my boat. My pipes will never compare to high end Artisans pipes, I have too much respect for such people to even attempt to compare to them, I want to make work-horse pipes that gladden the heart and the soul and put a little smile on the owners face, weird I know but that's me. I love you 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:57 am

Well, you now need to change the title to represent far more than me.  I heartily approve of that. That was the original thought for this thread. Please change it to "the guys" or such.

As to a profit,  what is wrong with a profit?  It can be used to finance tools and materials.  That is a good thing.  If it throws in a dinner out or a small luxury, so what!  

I know what is going on.  I built things to and never thought a profit was deserved on what I crafted.  Disabuse yourself of that notion.  There are websites selling a multitude of craft items that don't come close to your work.

So many fail to mix their passion with a business idea.  It is wrong to do that.   Hand made pipe; good briar; that is still a gift at a minimum of $100 to $150 or pounds for that matter.  Try to find one that cheap.  It is still a gift to the smoker.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 am

Titled change Ken. Wink

As for pricing pipes, when I get going with my first batch of Briar, (if I ever find a source in Europe can be trusted, we get hammered by the tax-man importing from America and the postage from America to UK is scary) I do intend adding a small amount on top. It would be small too, I gave it more thought and figured the need for stock and materials is more important than I gave it credit, what ever the materials cost me to make a pipe (Briar & Stem) I imagine adding £25 to increase stock, materials and tools etcetera wouldn't too naughty. So if the materials cost me £30 (that being a top grade Briar pipe with a gorgeous Lucite stem) I would offer the pipe for £55, does that seem too over the top.

My not wanting to charge large amounts for pipes is not so much to do with not feeling worthy, it is a small part yes but I know that given time and experience i can make pipes folk will very much enjoy owning and smoking. I want any pipes i make to be accessible to folk who don't have very much money, I know how it feels looking at beautiful pipes and never being able to afford to own one, heck I spend every single month stretching out a single 50g tin of tobacco as we just can't stretch to more and I'm normally a heavy smoker. If I can put a smile on someone's face when they get one of my pipes in their hand then I will be a very happy camper, a little sappy to some perhaps but there it is. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 am

Better if you put a smile on their face for £100 or better. That's eminently reasonable considering the cost of a kit. The pipe kit head your way is from select plateau briar. Mark visited the vendor and has a relationship. Doesn't get much better.

Use the overage to improve your shop and maybe pick up some extra tins for yourself along the way. That's fair for everybody. Look around and you'll see that's a real and generous deal in a truly hand made pipe.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Ken, I'm not referring to the kits you guys are so kindly getting sent to me, I honestly have no idea what to sell them for, will have to see when I have made pipes from them, I'll ask you guys here I think is best.

I'm still trying to find a source for Briar blocks which is reliable, it's not as simple as I thought to be honest, I can see why guys like Paul Hubartt go to select the Briar in person, out of my league I'm afraid so I'm going to need to rely on the vendor being trustworthy.

I'd love to be able to order from Vermont Freehand, he strikes me as a level and honest guy but his prices are quite high because he's a middle man.

This guy seems like he does a good deal: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Alexander-Briar/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=1029427117&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=3 any of you know anything about Alexander?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Until you can get better tools, I'd think you'd stick to kits. Others here who actually make them can certainly give better advice.

One thing I built that might have application was with a couple of 1" bearing blocks I got at a used tool store. Not sure if you have such a source. I put mine on a scrap chunk of maple I had and threaded both ends. I could mount a buffer and had a large 3 jaw on one end that I could use for quick change. The other end I used to mount buffing wheels. With a small motor and 3-step pully arrangement I could control reasonable speeds. I didn't use it as a sanding setup but it wouldn't be hard to do. Beyond the real precision work, it might do.

You really need to ask better informed folks about going beyond where you are at. I think you've seen that trial and error don't provide you with the results you are looking for.

I'm not sure what the others paid for shipping but imagine that Mark was able to give a break by sending multiple kits your way. With his most expensive option under $40 and some in the 20's, it is a way to get by until you can get equipment. To do that and show a profit, you need to get a decent price so that you can get more kits and cover all costs with a profit.

My shipping was $15 Not sure how much it'd go up from that for say 4 kits but I'd guess it might be $5. I'd think that'd all equate to roughly £100. So if you sold each of them for that, Your raw cost would be 25%. That'd let you start accumulating seed money for tools.

Hopefully, one the the people who know building pipes can give you better advice on minimal tooling and how to progress.
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Brother you make beautiful pipes now. I wouldn't worry about pricing them too high, I've seen much worse stuff sell for way more. You have a talent, be proud of it. cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 pm

JKenP wrote:
Until you can get better tools, I'd think you'd stick to kits.  Others here who actually make them can certainly give better advice.

One thing I built that might have application was with a couple of 1" bearing blocks I got at a used tool store.  Not sure if you have such a source.  I put mine on a scrap chunk of maple I had and threaded both ends.  I could mount a buffer and had a large 3 jaw on one end that I could use for quick change.  The other end I used to mount buffing wheels.  With a small motor and 3-step pully arrangement I could control reasonable speeds.  I didn't use it as a sanding setup but it wouldn't be hard to do.  Beyond the real precision work, it might do.

You really need to ask better informed folks about going beyond where you are at.  I think you've seen that trial and error don't provide you with the results you are looking for.  

I'm not sure what the others paid for shipping but imagine that Mark was able to give a break by sending multiple kits your way. With his most expensive option under $40 and some in the 20's, it is a way to get by until you can get equipment.  To do that and show a profit, you need to get a decent price so that you can get more kits and cover all costs with a profit.

My shipping was $15 Not sure how much it'd go up from that for say 4 kits but I'd guess it might be $5.  I'd think that'd all equate to roughly £100.  So if you sold each of them for that, Your raw cost would be 25%.  That'd let you start accumulating seed money for tools.

Hopefully, one the the people who know building pipes can give you better advice on minimal tooling and how to progress.

Marks prices for pipe kits are exceedingly fair I must admit that much, but what with shipping, import duties then parcel force adds their administration fee and they then charge you again to deliver the goods from customs, kits from America are no longer a sustainable or affordable option Ken.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PozzSka

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:04 am

What about www.RomeoBriar.com ? I don't know how good it is.

Re: Alexander Briar from Greece, I have a Poker by him, and it's nice. Medium Brown smooth finish with a cumberland stem. The draw isn't quite as open as I would like, but the briar is nice. A nice bird's eye on my poker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nathanscoffeeroasting.com

What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next