HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 am

i'm using alexander briar right now. it's really really red. sounds odd, but it's true. it's no mimmo or cut above but it's affordable. out of four blocks, one had a big flaw, one had none, and the others had small sand pits. they all smoke really well and are breaking in just fine. the flaws aren't a big deal, just rusticate it if it's a big one or leave the sand pits. my next order will probably be a cut above or mimmo once i get done saving up for a lathe/tooling. and kirk, we are all helping you out because you are a nice guy, and you have talent! you need to make a profit my man! you need tools, tins of tobacco for inspiration, and some extra coin to take the family out to dinner every once in a while so they are okay with you disappearing for hours playing with your pipes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 am

I get the message guys, you guys are so caring it's astounding, I will consider pricing more, no promises there, I like the idea of making them affordable to 'everyone'.

I thought about A Cut Above but he is a cutter, the blocks are still very wet from him so will need at least 18 months of continued drying before the blocks from him can be used, an ideal place to buy from once one has a stockpile of Briar to be used now. I'm waiting on a contact from Sasquatch for a source of Briar that can be used now and is pretty good stuff and not pricey as hell like RomeoBriar, I have seen his Briar and know it is top-notch but way too pricey for affordable pipes to be made from, I may consider some of his Briar for some top notch pipes once I'm better at carving of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:53 am

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
I get the message guys, you guys are so caring it's astounding, I will consider pricing more, no promises there, I like the idea of making them affordable to 'everyone'.

I thought about A Cut Above but he is a cutter, the blocks are still very wet from him so will need at least 18 months of continued drying before the blocks from him can be used, an ideal place to buy from once one has a stockpile of Briar to be used now. I'm waiting on a contact from Sasquatch for a source of Briar that can be used now and is pretty good stuff and not pricey as hell like RomeoBriar, I have seen his Briar and know it is top-notch but way too pricey for affordable pipes to be made from, I may consider some of his Briar for some top notch pipes once I'm better at carving of course.

yeah his briar is nice, i always thought he used mimmo. let me know if i'm wrong. especially if it's cheaper cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZuluCollector

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:24 pm

No matter where a pipemaker gets briar, there can always be problems. Briar is an unpredictable and frustrating medium.

In working on this year's Passion for Pipes POY, Jack Howell had 10 blocks in a row that had to be discarded because of flaws. There are a couple that might be able to be made into another shape, but they were unworkable for the 284 shape he was making. I should add that these blocks were hand-picked. Needless to say, this was a big expense and constituted a lot of waste. Hard to believe, but it's true.

Given how tough it is to know what's inside a block, it strikes me as possibly a little harsh to characterize someone as dishonest just because the briar they sell has internal flaws which are invisible to anyone looking at a block. I think people try to do the right thing on the whole. Most briar sellers I know want their customers to have good experiences and great pipes come from what they sell. This brings people back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.apassionforpipes.com
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Neill, I don't believe any one has called a Briar vendor dishonest, I have seen posts on other forums openly calling some vendors 'crooks' and actually naming the vendor, that is certainly not happening here. We are openly discussing sources of Briar right now, folk are going to mention bad experiences as well as good, this is after all the nature of discussion, you cannot demand people only speak about the good things, it is not right to try to silence people when they have something bad to report either, folk want to know where they stand with a vendor, how can they do this if people conceal bad occurrences, there comes a risk of a false impression then being gathered about a source, now that isn't fair on the customer is it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:20 pm

I agree that our expertise may not be as solid as yours, Neil.

What got this going is in another thread. Kirk bought some drilled briar and that wasn't drilled properly. It wasn't represent as some kind of second either. What would you say about that?
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:32 pm

To be honest Ken I'd rather folk didn't get into that subject any more, the guy has threatened to take me to court if I tell people who he is or say anything to damage his business. I despise people who use intimidation to silence an unhappy customer but I've been told he can screw me three ways to Tuesday because the Law favours the money hungry business man to the pesky irrelevant customers, weird that without the waste of space customers there would be no businesses, but what do I know. Either way Ken, dragging that dead horse out to flog it some more could get me in more bother than I can handle mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Kirk - once again, Brother, you're worrying too much. I've seen what you can do with estate pipes, and I was thoroughly impressed. I've seen what you've done with kits, and once again was thoroughly impressed.

Charge a fair price. If you can't make a little off it (tools to support the hobby & the occasional tin), then you're killing yourself for nothing.

With what I've seen you make, they will sell. Don't give them away or sell them at cost. You do damn good work, and you should be proud of it. Sell them, make a little money at it, upgrade your shop, then make more to sell.

Lighten up or I'll shine that mini-maglite in your face! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZuluCollector

Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:13 pm

Kirk and Ken, I really don't mean to stir trouble or make accusations.

It seems that it is impossible to know the whole story, so I will just be quiet now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.apassionforpipes.com
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:08 pm

ZuluCollector wrote:
Kirk and Ken, I really don't mean to stir trouble or make accusations.

It seems that it is impossible to know the whole story, so I will just be quiet now.

Oh good heavens no, please don't feel at odds chap, your opinion was well made and you are very correct that a fellow shouldn't be judged so quickly with anything in life. I relish reading any comment, be it good or bad, of course I get unbalanced if a chap who is a friend seems at odds with me but anything else is the opinions and considerations of a fellow citizen of our World, all of which have value to me, your opinion and position is valued and respected, of course one may not always agree with a chap but then this is why we are so different, we all see things our own way, please please do not feel your opinion or position has no weight or value, to me it has both. If our discussion has seemed at odds with any chap or chap'ess in particular then it has not been meant that way. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 am

I got 2 wonderful parcels in the post today, no less than 3 pipe kits from Mark Tinsky, 2 have Plateaux tops and each has a delightful acrylic stem, I have only had chance to take pictures of the first in a parcel by itself, batteries ran out in the camera!

This is the phone I got pictures of, I am really looking forward into getting this one going, I will post a step by step progress of the pipe being made.

Thank you so very much chaps for helping me get my Briar Spirit Pipes Project under way, still a ways off getting everything together but I have stock on the way from Germany and Spain so this is very exciting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Hope the custom's people were reasonable!
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:37 pm

No problems there at all Buddy, Mark's a good man, marked up as what it was a 'wood block' and valued at (cough) 10, no problems there at all. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Make 'em pretty; make us proud, Kirky. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Make 'em pretty; make us proud, Kirky. Very Happy
I am certainly going to try my best Kyle, I was working on getting the bark off this one today, long tedious job with just a cheap bendy tooth pick but I've got about half of it off now, took a good long while to do so mind you, still a ways to go there, I'm very excited I must say. Just hope I don't muck them up is all! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:57 pm

If you have coat hangers like we have here, the wire is a bit hardened. You can cut a piece and sharpen it to what you need.

I also used them when I only had a Chek tool and it was too short for clearing longer Candians. Cut a longer piece and used that.

(Wire coat hangers come from the cleaners here.)
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 pm

I used a bbq grill brush. Made pretty quick work of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Yes, A a good semi stiff wire brush or a wire wheel makes quick work of it.
I know you have a buffer so a wheel would be your best bet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

I will post the full pipe development topic in the DIY forum when the pipe is done, if anyone would like to follow the progress as it happens so to speak then please do feel very welcome to view it happening over at Leaf N Bowl in the BSP Chatter forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:31 am

I'll post a topic about the pipe later today hopefully, still not feeling on top of the World to be honest so I'm taking things slowly but I'll post about it as soon as I can, still got to sort out the photo's and take the final shots.

Last edited by Kirk Fitzgerald on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 am

I'm glad to here your better but, lets not try pushing our self, there only pipes.
I know how you feel about hospitals and won't go unless I'm bleeding to death or passed out. Get some rest and stay off your feet, Pneumonia is not something to fool around with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers   Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:55 am

Take care of yourself Kirk!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What a wonderful gesture by my Brothers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2