HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes   Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:58 am

Old Charatans and GBDs, ie, from the 50s, 60s, and early 70s will give you a better smoke than a new pipe of the same price. Just my 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes   Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:28 am

Smoker99 wrote:
Old Charatans and GBDs, ie, from the 50s, 60s, and early 70s will give you a better smoke than a new pipe of the same price. Just my 2.

I've been trying to get hold of an old Charatan for years already. But up till now I could not find one I could afford.

GBD's I've got and I love them. I have one old reject which I bought new 18 years ago. It's one of my top ten favourites!!! I can't believe that even a Dunhill will provide a better smoke than this old gentleman!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes   Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:03 am

Smoker99 wrote:

That is my philosophy as well. A good brand, as above, well prepared and cleaned estate is a great smoking pipe. GBD's are available in the $50 -$100 range and I prefer those over any new, lower priced pipe. I learned that my stem preference is vulcanite. Most new, lower priced pipes are made with acrylic stems.

What ever direction you decide works for you, I recommend that you don't spend a lot of money early in your smoking experience. My tastes changed dramatically in the first year of smoking a pipe and I ended up selling almost all of the pipes bought in that first year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes   Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:07 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes   Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
My reasoning for listing those two specific pipes:

Both have acrylic stems, no vulcanite to go green and give off a bad taste.

Both are bent but not extreme and would be comfortable/appealing to most pipe smokers. A bent billiard and bent pot, both classic shapes.

Both have a good bit of wood surrounding the chamber, no thin walls.

One rusticated and one smooth.

Buying both pipes, new, change back from your $150, will last a lifetime with care.

I wish I had this advice on my first pipes. The first pipe I bought was quality but I sold it quickly on eBay cuz it was straight, too heavy, too large a chamber. It had a vulcanite stem that started oxidizing and I didn't know what to do. If I had that pipe today I'd treasure it, but I bailed on it then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes   Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I would recommend grabbing a great pipe for 125.00 than 2 good pipes for 150.00. For example this Ascorti/Radice era Caminetto will be a great smoking pipe and you will have 25.00 left over for tobacco. http://briarblues.com/hen08.htm

These older pipes from Caminetto are some of the best bang for the buck pipes on the market today. They smoke cool and dry and are just great smoking pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes   Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Enjoy your Quest. IMHO you can never go wrong with a Savinelli or Pete and another you might want to check out is T.Polinski. House of pipes on EBay list a wide variety of his pipes and they usually sell for around $50 - $125 bucks delivered. They are some of the best smokers in my collection at very resonable prices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2