HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe Tracker?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mejoshee

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Is there such a site/app/organizational system/paradigm to keep track of pipes dedicated to which types of tobacco(s), cuts, etc.? I am aware of tobaccocellar.com, but this seems like something that should also exist in parallel. I don't have that many, but recently I'm struggling to remember which ones had the VA and which ones had lat or what have you.... The guys with 100+, you must have a system?

If not, you're welcome to whoever builds a site dedicated to this as I think it's a fine idea if I do say so myself. Idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Any spreadsheet should suffice. If you want it in the cloud, you could use Google Docs.
Back to top Go down
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:20 pm

JKenP wrote:
Any spreadsheet should suffice.  If you want it in the cloud, you could use Google Docs.

Yeah, I'd already done so with my baccy. Just curious what others were doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:38 pm

mejoshee wrote:
JKenP wrote:
Any spreadsheet should suffice.  If you want it in the cloud, you could use Google Docs.

Pipe smoking is NOT a DIGITAL endeavor !! This sort of thing is WAY TO OCD !! Just buy tobacco, pipes and sit back and learn to ENJOY WITHOUT the 21st century rear it's ugly head !! UH! Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Microsoft Excel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:05 pm

monbla256 wrote:
mejoshee wrote:
JKenP wrote:

Pipe smoking is NOT a DIGITAL endeavor !! This sort of thing is WAY TO OCD !! Just buy tobacco, pipes and sit back and learn to ENJOY WITHOUT the 21st century rear it's ugly head !!  UH! Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 

This^

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:08 pm

The crusty old guys have a point. I'm trying to find a balance between knowing what I have and going with flow.

You could add a column on your spreadsheet and note which pipe. Some guys leave a note in the bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:30 pm

monbla256 wrote:
mejoshee wrote:
JKenP wrote:

Pipe smoking is NOT a DIGITAL endeavor !! This sort of thing is WAY TO OCD !! Just buy tobacco, pipes and sit back and learn to ENJOY WITHOUT the 21st century rear it's ugly head !!  UH! Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 

Yeah but as a collector it's handy to have some idea of who, what, where and how much was that pipe. I make notes to any history I know about the pipe. Over the year I would never remember with out my lists. I used the P&T Foundations software since that came out. I updated it as thing change but I wish there was a cloud based back up. Shocked 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm as crusty as the next fellow, but there is a very functional point to maintaining a hard-copy smoker's diary. I use a composition book (the kind that will go on sale for .50 soon as schools open). I briefly record the date, tobacco and pipe with, maybe half the time, a brief note on the experience for better or worse. I've also found it sometimes useful to note weather conditions -- temp, humidity, breeze or still. No need for a full-blown review. I find it to be a great help in matching up, over time, which tobaccos and pipes seem to enjoy each other's company.

One reason this works for me is that I'm not a multi-task smoker. I smoke a couple / few bowls per day, so the notekeeping maintains its usefulness w/out slipping over to Another-Damn-Thing-To-Do territory.

I hope I can maintain my membership in the Ancient and Honorable Order of Crusty Pipesmokers, having confessed to this.

I have maybe 75 pipes, four of which are awaiting their break in to commence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:49 pm

mejoshee wrote:
I'm struggling to remember which ones had the VA and which ones had lat or what have you....

Virginias in Italians, Englishes in Danishes Razz 

When you get confused, read your signature line...Cool 

Me, I keep everything on a cheap and frayed yellow pad full of scribbles and cryptic codes. I keep a zeroxed backup copy, just in case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:42 am

It's funny, if a pipe is out of sight, it's out of mind for me. Every once in a while I'll be going through a box looking for something, and a pipe will appear that I forgot about. Same happens with tobacco. I found almost a full pound of C&D Night Train that had fallen behind a shelf a few weeks back. I had no idea it was there.

The same sort of thing happens with just about everything. Clothes, trumpet mouthpieces, whatever. The cool thing is every once in a while I'm really surprised what I find. With pipes, I often ask how the hell I forgot about this one. I guess it's early Alzheimer's.

As a side note, I'm this minute smoking a Velani Lovat I'd packed up and was going to send for a restem. I of course forgot to mail it, and I found it in a pile of stuff and opened it. Voilá, a cool and well rested pipe. Also one of only two Italians in my collection.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:31 am

Harlock999 wrote:
mejoshee wrote:
I'm struggling to remember which ones had the VA and which ones had lat or what have you....

Virginias in Italians, Englishes in Danishes Razz 

When you get confused, read your signature line...Cool 

Me, I keep everything on a cheap and frayed yellow pad full of scribbles and cryptic codes. I keep a zeroxed backup copy, just in case.
I should update that to account for Orientals in Englishes or something like that.

I think for the most part it's been true until recently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:19 am

monbla256 wrote:
mejoshee wrote:
JKenP wrote:

You're my kind of guy!!!!!!!!!! Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 am

I don't track what I smoke, just my "Pipe Log" on Excel. I track when it was bought, where, shape, weight, grade, etc. I recently added a "Deep Clean" column to track when they were last cleaned. If anyone wants a blank copy, just PM me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:10 am

monbla256 wrote:

Well, living in the past certainly provides some with enjoyment.

You seem to carry the spreadsheet around in your head.  You got the who/what/where/when down for every pipe you own along with views on tons of blends.  Electronic can actually free some from the picayune details that litter other minds.  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil cheers

For those with a collector's bent and/or blend anxiety, OCD is a way of life.  Smile

Now sit back; really be a slob; emulate me.  It a two step process: pipe-tobacco  -- totally interchangeable.  That is pretty much the extent of info I need.  Result get classed as good:meh.  Easy-peasy.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:49 am

monbla256 wrote:
mejoshee wrote:
JKenP wrote:

I'm in agreement with Monbla..but since smoking is personal...I guess you can entertain yourself with spreadsheets.  I'm going to entertain myself with another bowl and not worry about such stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:06 pm

JKenP wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Well, living in the past certainly provides some with enjoyment.

You seem to carry the spreadsheet around in your head.  You got the who/what/where/when down for every pipe you own along with views on tons of blends.  Electronic can actually free some from the picayune details that litter other minds.  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil cheers

For those with a collector's bent and/or blend anxiety, OCD is a way of life.  Smile

Now sit back; really be a slob; emulate me.  It a two step process: pipe-tobacco  -- totally interchangeable.  That is pretty much the extent of info I need.  Result get classed as good:meh.  Easy-peasy.

I'm with Ken on this one. I prefer one shape of bowl, the rest of my worry is just which baccy I enjoy on a scale of barf to heavenly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:15 pm

I feel like I stepped on a hornet's nest or something. I had the innocent thought that maybe having a sense of inventory would allow one to enjoy smoking more and thinking less scratch

I guess I was mistaken... Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draagha

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:19 pm

mejoshee wrote:
I feel like I stepped on a hornet's nest or something. I had the innocent thought that maybe having a sense of inventory would allow one to enjoy smoking more and thinking less scratch

Not at all, brother. For some, the ease of a pipe sheet and the added step of expressing how that pipe/baccy mix was for them just adds to the experience. For some like me, I can remember which were good and how good they were by seeing/hearing the name and that's good enough for me. But I'm a simple kind of man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

PostSubject: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:49 pm

mejoshee wrote:

Nah...no hornets nest...it does seems a little anal...but it is a hobby/vocation/love so do it your way!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:08 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
mejoshee wrote:

Nah...no hornets nest...it does seems a little anal...but it is a hobby/vocation/love so do it your way!
I think mostly because I smoke in bursts of maybe 1-2 nights in a week, with 2 bowls or so, I have to wrack my brain now that I have more acquisitions. Plus the wife wants me to smoke even less, so that'll be even more remembering and brain-filling. Rolling Eyes I was thinking it'd be good to look back and say "I smoked this in that, it was a good/bad/ok combo. I rubbed/stuffed/Franck packed it and it burned hot/just right/poorly."

I'm trying to take data points right now and was hoping for feedback of what is available. That's really what this tracking is about for me. Is it anal retentive? Maybe to you, but I'm an engineer and I analyze lots of other things and making up a spreadsheet actually makes it less work for me to remember everything from the last time and allows me to just light up. Then I'm free to be completely relaxed and not neurotic. I want to be able to just pick a pipe and know that's roughly what tobacco I should/like to smoke in it. I'd rather be worried on the front end, so once I'm smoking, it's out of mind.

Generally, I've been happy with the results the last few months and I'm locking in on what shapes seem to make sense with the blend type, but there are those exceptions and I don't want to switch it back and forth thinking "I had this in here before. It should be ok." when really, the previous other times it didn't work out right after a month away from the last time having a bowl in said pipe.

Maybe I just need to concentrate on this entire process instead of other unrelated things? Or maybe I'm ok with a little hybrid of keeping notes in a digital format. Compared to the industry I'm in, I'm a luddite. Compared to the company culture we have, I'm too sophisticated and green; too ready to embrace digital technology. Seems I can't even find a niche here. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draagha

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:27 pm

mejoshee wrote:
Maybe I just need to concentrate on this entire process instead of other unrelated things? Or maybe I'm ok with a little hybrid of keeping notes in a digital format. Compared to the industry I'm in, I'm a luddite. Compared to the company culture we have, I'm too sophisticated and green; too ready to embrace digital technology. Seems I can't even find a niche here. Sad

Nonsense, that's what makes this community great is that we all approach the same hobby in our own beautiful and diverse ways. I'm a neanderthal with my pipe loading by most people standards, but it WORKS for me. If that's how you do it to make sure you relax every time, then gawtdarnded, enjoy yourself brother. You always have a niche here with us my friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:31 pm

mejoshee wrote:
pepesdad1 wrote:
mejoshee wrote:

I think mostly because I smoke in bursts of maybe 1-2 nights in a week, with 2 bowls or so, I have to wrack my brain now that I have more acquisitions. Plus the wife wants me to smoke even less, so that'll be even more remembering and brain-filling. Rolling Eyes I was thinking it'd be good to look back and say "I smoked this in that, it was a good/bad/ok combo. I rubbed/stuffed/Franck packed it and it burned hot/just right/poorly."

I'm trying to take data points right now and was hoping for feedback of what is available. That's really what this tracking is about for me. Is it anal retentive? Maybe to you, but I'm an engineer and I analyze lots of other things and making up a spreadsheet actually makes it less work for me to remember everything from the last time and allows me to just light up. Then I'm free to be completely relaxed and not neurotic. I want to be able to just pick a pipe and know that's roughly what tobacco I should/like to smoke in it. I'd rather be worried on the front end, so once I'm smoking, it's out of mind.

Generally, I've been happy with the results the last few months and I'm locking in on what shapes seem to make sense with the blend type, but there are those exceptions and I don't want to switch it back and forth thinking "I had this in here before. It should be ok." when really, the previous other times it didn't work out right after a month away from the last time having a bowl in said pipe.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all do things different ways and what works for you might not necessarily work best for me or the other guy, but you've got to determine how best to go forward in your quest.

Hey, if making up spreadsheets are your thing and they benefit you, by all means go for it.

And each and everyone who is who posts here on BoB has a niche, albeit their own one. What binds us together is the respect we have for each other, no matter if we agree or not.

It's your journey. Enjoy it.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
pepesdad1

PostSubject: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey, if engineering your process makes you happy...go for it.  "Seems I can't even find a niche here.  "  Sure you can and have...don't be so hard on yourself...let us do that for you.

Really, us old farts have done a lifetime of living...in some cases more than a lifetime...so we do things a lot simpler...just because we have earned that right...through blood, sweat and plenty of tears.  But, please feel free to do it your way...and let us know, cause we aren't too old to learn something new.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tracker?   Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:01 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
Hey, if engineering your process makes you happy...go for it.  "Seems I can't even find a niche here.  "  Sure you can and have...don't be so hard on yourself...let us do that for you.

Really, us old farts have done a lifetime of living...in some cases more than a lifetime...so we do things a lot simpler...just because we have earned that right...through blood, sweat and plenty of tears.  But, please feel free to do it your way...and let us know, cause we aren't too old to learn something new.

I did not mean to rain on your parade earlier, but THIS is what many of us have arrived at with this "smoking a pipe" thing . If going digital so to speak enhances your enjoyment, then do it. It's just WAAAAAAY to much for me Twisted Evil I've over 90 pipes now and forgotten many blends I've smoked over the years but I can tell you where & when I bought each pipe I own and I've never committed ANY of this info to paper or otherwise. Just use the little grey cells you were given. They still are BETTER than any 'puter. Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipe Tracker?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next