HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hello from Ny

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buffalo bill

Registration date : 2013-08-04

PostSubject: Hello from Ny   Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Hey guys(and gals) my name is Bill I have been smoking cigars for about 4 years now. My favorite cigar at the moment is 601 la Bomba nuclear . I have been interested in starting up the pipe for a while now and decided to take the leap. I have been looking for a place to learn the do's and dont's of this interesting hobby and here I am.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Ny   Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Welcome! You'll definitely learn a lot here. Here are some most likely obvious thoughts for ya to get ya started.

Don't expect a pipe to smoke like a cigar... for a lot of reasons. I say this mostly because my brother-in-law, who also came from cigars apparently didn't know some of the following...

1. Don't expect cigar-class volumes of smoke to come with every puff. Different pipes, packs, tobaccos and on and on produce different amounts of smoke.

2.Don't rush smoking a pipe. Take your time and ease into a flow that works for you. Pipes are hands on and require re-lights, tamps and so on.

3. If it goes out, don't think you did something wrong. The concept of a two-light smoke for pipes is a pipe dream in my opinion. It just doesn't happen every time, nor does it need to.

4. Everybody has their way of doing things around here. That's because there are lots of ways to smoke a pipe well. Some ways work better for some.

5. As in the cigar world, a high priced tin doesn't always equal the best smoke to fit your tastes. There are lots of good tobaccos out there that won't break the bank.

I hope that helps some. Enjoy the site, and welcome!

Brian.

PS. If your mouth hurts after a smoke, you might be doing something wrong. This isn't a bloodsport. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Ny   Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 pm

All of the above!^
Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buffalo bill

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Ny   Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Growley wrote:
Welcome! You'll definitely learn a lot here. Here are some most likely obvious thoughts for ya to get ya started.

Don't expect a pipe to smoke like a cigar... for a lot of reasons. I say this mostly because my brother-in-law, who also came from cigars apparently didn't know some of the following...

1. Don't expect cigar-class volumes of smoke to come with every puff. Different pipes, packs, tobaccos and on and on produce different amounts of smoke.

2.Don't rush smoking a pipe. Take your time and ease into a flow that works for you. Pipes are hands on and require re-lights, tamps and so on.

3. If it goes out, don't think you did something wrong. The concept of a two-light smoke for pipes is a pipe dream in my opinion. It just doesn't happen every time, nor does it need to.

4. Everybody has their way of doing things around here. That's because there are lots of ways to smoke a pipe well. Some ways work better for some.

5. As in the cigar world, a high priced tin doesn't always equal the best smoke to fit your tastes. There are lots of good tobaccos out there that won't break the bank.

I hope that helps some. Enjoy the site, and welcome!

Brian.

PS. If your mouth hurts after a smoke, you might be doing something wrong. This isn't a bloodsport. Very Happy 

Thank you for the insight on the difference between the two.i just picked up two corncob pipe's and order my first briar online today, tomorrow I'm going to talk with the guy at the B&M it see what brands/blends I should try for my first bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Ny   Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 am

Hello Bill. Welcome to the BoB. Glad to have you on board.Smile 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Ny   Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:07 am

Hello Bill and welcome to BoB. cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briarbabe

Registration date : 2013-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Ny   Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 am

Welcome Bill! I am also new to pipe smoking and to the forum. You've come to the right place. There is a wealth of information and good company to be had here.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://traceyleezle.wordpress.com
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Ny   Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:08 am

Welcome to the forums! I hope you have fun here

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Hello from Ny   Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Welcome to the BoB forum....this is the place you've been lookin for.....lots of great people and a whole ton of knowledge from experience...enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buffalo bill

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Ny   Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Just a question on formatting and etiquette ,I've seen a lot of sticky post that have a lot of great info but when I am looking for other information should I just post a new thread ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hello from Ny
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: