HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Did some Time Travel yesterday !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:11 pm

"Back in the Day" as many are wan't to say these day's , pre-interwebs, except for a few B&M's we had available to us, our only other source of "pipe stuff" was the hard-copy printed catalogs that we all received from the few mail-order pipe/tobacco retailers around the country. I spent many hours looking at all the offerings from Charatan, GBD, BBB etc in those wonderful printed catalogs from Iwan Reis, Tinderbox, Edwards etc, that would come in my mailbox at different times of the year. Recently I signed up for a "catalog" offering from Pipes and Cigars thinking it would be a sort of focused e-miled catalog, but no, it came in the SNAIL MAIL!! A printed hardcopy, 4 color PAPER CATALOG !! A TRUE piece of time warping! Took me back over 40 years ago to the early 70's !! GOOD THINGS are just that !! Yeah !! cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Now if you'd only kept all of them...
Smile
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Still serves a purpose too... I have never looked twice at Nordings, but the pictures caught my eye. The conversation here had increased awareness too. I am not pulling out a debit card or anything, but the chance of my looking at them online was zero before the catalog. They have a sale on the line of tobacco that includes Old Companion, Louisiana Red and Anniversary Kake. This may provoke and order I had not scheduled...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Ah Yes, I got mine a few days ago and I've thumbed through it about three times now.
But, what's up with Cigars International? I keep getting there dadburn rag and it's only got one stinking page for pipes and tobaccos, the rest is dadburn cigars. They need to cater more to the pipe guys too. And yes, I know what there name implies but, they have a healthy selection of pipe tobaccos and pipes on there website.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Nice layout a couple good articles.

Anyone have any information on these,,,at $15 per I wouldn't mind losing one while fishing

http://pipesandcigars.com/sthaset12pit.html

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:15 pm

I've never been a fan of erector set pipes.  Wink

I think I'd instead buy those MM wood pipes at half the cost.  I say they are a bit classier to boot.

Only place I can remember people using such was at college and those guys usually wore tweed and need haircuts.

Last edited by JKenP on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:15 pm

I've seen those before, Stanwell's Harlekin Set. Neat looking metals but, I know nothing about them either.
Why am I not surprised Ken doesn't like them.Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Monbla - I used to do the exact same thing, only with the old Radio Shack Catalogs.

I've spent countless hours over the years - thumbing through each page, drooling over some, reading the descriptions and specs on about 90% of the stuff in their catalogs....

Good times, Brothers, good times. Of course that was years ago, but I remember it like it was last week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:

I've spent countless hours over the years - thumbing through each page, drooling over some, reading the descriptions and specs ,,,,,Good times, Brothers, good times.  Of course that was years ago, but I remember it like it was last week.

Me too,,,,,, but it was Playboy,,,lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:03 am

Michael, I have always enjoyed thumbing thru mail order catalogs. The internet never really changed that, as I find it much more enjoyable to sit down and look through the catalog, than to browse their offerings on their website. What has changed, is that instead of ordering over the phone, I prefer to place my order through the website. When a company doesn't have to pay someone to take orders over the phone, it saves the company as well as the customer, time and money.

Nothing beats the nostalgia of browsing my favorite mail order catalog, while sitting on the throne. Smile 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Draagha

Registration date : 2013-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:16 am

I also received the catalog this month unexpectedly, and I agree. NOTHING beats a hard copy catalog. It's so much nicer to see them printed in front of you so you can get a closer look than what my relatively older monitor allows me to see. I loved looking at all the nordings in there.

The SteamPunk and World Map humidors were awesome as well. If I had the dough and needed the extra space I'd get one of each. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:11 am

For me it was seed catalogs. I always enjoyed raising a vegetable garden and I often bought my seeds and plants from the companies that sent me their catalogs. Spent hours during the winter month drooling over the pictures of tomatoes, squash, and etc. Life was good back then. (sigh)Sad 

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:26 am

mark wrote:
Me too,,,,,, but it was Playboy,,,lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 
Right On, Brother! Cool 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm

The only thing missing in the "mail-order" catalogs of today is an ORDER FORM !!! So much for "...how it used to be " Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:12 pm

The catalog was nice to page through. I get the Iwan Ries catalog and it is probably the best for info at least compared to what can show up in a mailbox.
Back to top Go down
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Did some Time Travel yesterday !   Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Seed catalogs, pipe catalogs, Radio Shack (before they became a cell phone store). Sears catalog where you could buy all sorts of treasures. And it was better than corncobs in the "convenience"!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Did some Time Travel yesterday !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1