HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Another Sav Punto Oro

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Another Sav Punto Oro   Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:00 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380701424278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1545wt_1360

I've bought this pipe with a damaged stem for a fair price.  I've only noticed the hole in the stem after I've placed my bid. I've hoped someone will outbid me but............the pipe is mine and I will have to live with it.

My question to the brothers:  How do I go about to fill the hole?

I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a solution Very Happy

Edit: I don't like the size of the bowl. I'm going to shave off some of the rim which will at the same time take care of the darkening. Real pity about the stem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:42 am

That stem is an easy fix.  See a recent post on my Charatan 109 restoration.  I use the Stew-Mac black superglue for those kind of repairs (also did Fr. Tom's pipe repair that way).  



I have plenty of the black super glue - shoot me the stem and a few bucks to mail it back to you and I'll do the repair for you.  


Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
docwatson

avatar

Location : Central Massachusetts and midcoast Maine
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:05 am

You probably know this already but the pipe you bought also known as the Corallo is an extremely expensive and top of the line pipe from Savinelli. The unfinished rusticated bowl colors beautifully with age and they are very lightweight. You bought a Gem of a pipe at the right price. Even if you have a replacement stem made you scored well with that bid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Moderator
avatar

Age : 53
Location : South of heaven
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:16 am

Looks like someone already stuck an old replacement stem on it anyhow. That's a Dunhill stem, ot at least a Dunhill replacement, unless Savinelli put white spots on their stems at some point. If you can get Riff to fill the hole for you then you have nothing to lose, it will probably smoke just fine, and you can always get a new replacement stem fitted for it on the cheap if it bugs you.

_________________
These are horrible times and all sorts of horrible people are prospering, but we must never let this disturb our equanimity or deflect us from our sacred duty to annoy and hinder them at every turn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Looks like someone already stuck an old replacement stem on it anyhow. That's a Dunhill stem, ot at least a Dunhill replacement, unless Savinelli put white spots on their stems at some point. If you can get Riff to fill the hole for you then you have nothing to lose, it will probably smoke just fine,  and you can always get a new replacement stem fitted for it on the cheap if it bugs you.
The Punto Oro series had a single brass dot which many folks at first glance confuse for the Dunhill "White Dot" Anyway, at the price you paid it would be worth getting it either fixed as mentioned or replaced with a new one. Punto Oro's are PHENOMINAL pipes !! Razz 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 am

@ brother Riff Raff, I'm still waiting for this pipe. I would like to see what the damage looks like when I've got it in my hand.
I might decide to just ignore that "bite". If I can't, I will take you up on your offer for which I thank you. Very Happy Very Happy 

Other brothers, thanks for your kind words bounce 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:10 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
@ brother Riff Raff, I'm still waiting for this pipe.  I would like to see what the damage looks like when I've got it in my hand.
I might decide to just ignore that "bite".  If I can't, I will take you up on your offer for which I thank you. Very Happy Very Happy 

Other brothers, thanks for your kind words bounce 
Sure, just let me know if you need some help. I just finished herbindave's Guibileo D'Oro, where does a Punto stack up on the Savinelli grading chart?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:34 pm

riff raff wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:
@ brother Riff Raff, I'm still waiting for this pipe.  I would like to see what the damage looks like when I've got it in my hand.
I might decide to just ignore that "bite".  If I can't, I will take you up on your offer for which I thank you. Very Happy Very Happy 

Other brothers, thanks for your kind words bounce 
Sure, just let me know if you need some help.   I just finished herbindave's Guibileo D'Oro, where does a Punto stack up on the Savinelli grading chart?
They were just below the Guibleo's. They were still fill free handfinished pipes equal to if not better than some Dunhills as well. They also did blasted finishes in this range which were not the case with the Guibleo's. They were smooth finish only ( at least ALL I've ever seen were Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

avatar

Location : Western Maryland
Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks, I read & learn here!
monbla256 wrote:
riff raff wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:
@ brother Riff Raff, I'm still waiting for this pipe.  I would like to see what the damage looks like when I've got it in my hand.
I might decide to just ignore that "bite".  If I can't, I will take you up on your offer for which I thank you. Very Happy Very Happy 

Other brothers, thanks for your kind words bounce 
Sure, just let me know if you need some help.   I just finished herbindave's Guibileo D'Oro, where does a Punto stack up on the Savinelli grading chart?
They were just below the Guibleo's. They were still fill free handfinished pipes equal to if not better than some Dunhills as well. They also did blasted finishes in this range which were not the case with the Guibleo's. They were smooth finish only ( at least ALL I've ever seen were  Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 pm

This one is still outstanding as well??????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:03 am

cheers This BBB (Beautiful Big Beast) landed today!!! It is a HUGE pipe but then, I actually needed something like this Very Happy 

The bite mark on the stem is something I can live with. Not so bad as it looks on the photo. Otherwise the pipe is spotless and........I'm a happy chappie cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:29 am

The dot on the stem's brass, & standard issue.

Punto Oro = "gold dot."

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:42 am

Yak wrote:
The dot on the stem's brass, & standard issue.

Punto Oro = "gold dot."

What a Face 
Hi brother Yak, if you look at the pictures you will notice a bite mark on the stem, very near the button. That is the only mark on the stem.. I reckon the previous owner was clenching the pipe when he got one hell of a shock, hence the lil hole. Maybe that's also why he stopped smoking and sold his pipes.

I now have 5 beautiful Punto Oro Savinellis and I'm looking for one more. Then I will have 6 Puntos and 12 Savinellis in total.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:40 am

My brothers, I must tell you that this is the most wonderful pipe I've ever owned. The draw is so smooth, so soft, I can sit and smoke it for hours if I want to. What is more amazing is that I can light it so many times. The bowl is quite big, so I can't really empty it in one sitting. I can lit it up to 5 times and every time the tobacco tastes as if I've just started smoking it for the first time. I can smoke it right to the bottom, no fowl smelling or tasting, just sweet, nice tobacco. And, no matter what I put in it, the taste is nice, nice, NICE!!!!!! It might sound impossible but it's true!!! Very Happy 

It fits in my hand as if it was made to order. I have quite big hands and the pipe just sits there like it's part of me. This pipe is like magic, really it is!!!

If I had just one other pipe like this, I would get rid of all my other stuff. cheers bounce cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattia76

avatar

Age : 41
Location : Saint Louis, Missouri
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Another Sav Punto Oro   Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 pm

I've had a dozen or so Punto Oro pipes over the years, and they were all great. In fact, 2 of them are pipes I wish I never would have let go. The Punto Oro line from the 1950's through the 1980's was always really close to the Giubileo D' Oro. The only difference was often the amount of experimentation they've done with the Punto Oro lines. You'll see that brass dot on smooth finishes, ruby bruyere's beautiful ring-grained sandblasts, bamboo shanks, the Mr. G line and some spigot pipes--and that's just the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Another Sav Punto Oro
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: