HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Leather care

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Leather care   Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:20 am

Obenaufs, nuff said. they even make boot laces as well that hold up so much better.

I use to sing odes to saddle soap , but no more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Leather care   Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 am

I use both--saddle soap to clean, and Obenauf's to preserve. Yes, good stuff. I even use it on a leather-covered pipe I have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Leather care   Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 pm

I used AquaSeal paste (no liquid) for a couple decades under the Vasque label. I would have stuck with it if they weren't such pains in the ass. They insisted I mailorder it from various mailorder outfits, and that would be fine if all the recommendations didn't want to charge me more for shipping than for the paste. In other words, they weren't accommodating in the least. Hey, I guess they don't need the business. I really, truly miss the days when the customer was always right and when customer service was priority one. I don't want to hear how bad the economy is from American companies. If it was, they'd bend over backwards for a sale. And I wanted to buy several tubs and give a couple away as gifts. Nope.

So I started using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. I'm very satisfied and not at all sorry to be using it. Easy to find. Not only available through obscure mailorders with nothing else you want.

It's kind of crazy how much good leather care costs these days. I think I paid $14.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DWT

Registration date : 2014-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Leather care   Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 am

For leather goods, especially footwear, in poor condition, I use PECARD leather dressing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Leather care   Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:07 pm

I use Bee Keepers Gold that is a mixture of bees wax and mineral oil
http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-30304/Lamson+Goodnow+Beekeepers+Gold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Leather care   Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:15 pm

A few months ago I'd disinfected (an experiment) a couple of pairs of second hand leather boots with Lysol (old school stuff mixture with water).  I feel it worked well, or at least, it offered an adequate illusion and some peace.  The downside was that it somewhat dried out the leather.  Nothing too awful, but they then clearly demanded some leather conditioner.  I don't know about anyone else, but I dread waterproofing and conditioning leather.  I put it off for months.  I'm in good shape.  I do hardcore cardio and mild resistance training five days a week and have for years.  Yet, two pairs of boots wipes me out.  Anyone else feel working leather is exhausting?  By the fourth boot, I was ready for a nap.

*after doing a lot of research and asking in forums, I decided upon using Lexol leather conditioner.  I probably would have went with Obenauf's Leather Oil, but A LOT of shoe people recommended Lexol.  The bonus there is it is comparatively inexpensive.  We'll see how happy I am with Lexol in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Leather care
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1