HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:34 pm

santa santa My fellow Brothers of Briar. It is that time of year again to start thinking about our troops serving in the military in harms way during the upcoming holiday. As in past years I will be making up Christmas Care Packages from items from the Spring Forward Box Pass (which one box has already been sent to our own BubbaL002) and items donated by this generous group of fellow pipe and cigar smokers. Any and all money collected will be used to purchase cigars and pipe blends for the troops. As in years past I will pick up any and all shipping costs. Last year this group sent out three large boxes for the troops. I do have access this year to send packages to some Marines stationed in Afghanistan. Last year I tried to get some addresses to Afghanistan to no avail. This year I have been successful. I will also contact the lady who dispersed our boxes last year to the troops. If she is not in Iraq I'm sure she can get me in contact with someone who is there.

Items that seem to be a hit with the troops:

Pipe Blends (preferably tins but have sent pre-packaged bulk, please no glass jars).
Pipes (new or used briar's, new cobs) I will clean and polish any estate briar's given before sending out)
Cigars, and more cigars (this year I will try and not only to buy boxes as last year but will take any and all singles donated).
Chewing tobacco in the tins (seems to be very popular)
Coffee (ground not beans).
Tea (for making sweet or sun tea).

With the pipes and blends I will make up packets like last year that consist of a pipe, pipe cleaners, matches and two or three blends. This seemed to work out pretty good last year.

I know that our troops really do appreciate what we have sent in past years based on the feedback I have received from some of the troops and even from a Lieutenant who emailed me back with thanks to the Brothers of Briar.

Any questions please PM me here or my private email address: mmillersprint03 at earthlink.net

I would ask that any and all donations be sent to me at my home. If you are sending something please let me know so that I can keep my eyes out for it. The address is:

Mike Miller
10750 W. Frier Dr.
Glendale, AZ 85307

Thank all of you once again in advance for all of your help in this years Christmas Care Package to Our Troops. santa santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks so much Mike for again taking the lead on this! I will be sending you an email.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
PipeBrew

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Glad to see this is going. I will be participating this year the best I can. I'll PM you a couple of questions, and if you want you can post them and the answers so everyone can see them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/saharanyeti
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:06 pm

PipeBrew asked a very good question concerning blends.

1. Can you send bulk in baggies?
Yes, the Ziploc bags would be best. On bulk blends please mark what they are and put about (best guesstimate) two ounces.

1. Can you send partial tins?
Again yes, but please make sure there is at least four or five bowls worth for the troops to smoke.

I will take the partial tins and bulk and make up packets that will include two or three blends and hopefully a pipe, briar or cob, pipe cleaners, and matches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldog Bruce

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:08 am

Mikem, what do you figure approx. latest date for you to recieve packages @ your home?

Bd

Never Forget!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:32 am

I am hoping that I have everything ready for shipment overseas no later than the end of November. I would like to ship the stuff out the last week of the month (November) around Thanksgiving. That way it gives it about thirty days to get to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:08 pm

I've been negligent on posting this due to the son home on leave and then the wife in the hospital for four days but....... So far I've only one donation from my fellow members of "BOB" of pipes and blends from Mike T. Thanks so much.

I know that during these hard financial times on all of us (believe me I know) that things are tight. I hope that we don't forget our troops serving and protecting our country overseas. I have had people at work donate cigars, snuff, etc. to the cause. I am hoping to send the package(s) out around Thanksgiving week. The first package will be going to a group of Marines with Task Force Med stationed in Afghanistan.

Thanks again for your support in this endeavor.

Regards

Mike M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Mike,

I plan on getting a package out to you within the next couple of weeks. You are still planning on sending the package right before Thanksgiving, correct?

Mark
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Started assembling a package to go, will ship out to you this coming week,,,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:50 pm

I was kind of waiting on some holiday specials. Something will be along soon.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:42 pm

I've been waiting for my #$%@ landlords to cash two months worth of rent cheques, so I don't wind up suddenly overdrawn. I'll corral my donation next week.

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:59 am

Thanks for your help gentleman. JP, yes I'm planning on sending the stuff out the week of Thanksgiving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeBrew

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:08 pm

I hope to get some stuff en route to you within the next couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
lonebeagle

Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Mike, I have a few things kicking around on my shelf I will make every attempt to contribute to this great cause. I'll try to get it mailed out to you in the next week or two max.

~JD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:17 pm

Gentleman, we are gaining steam. I have received a couple more packages with some more pipe tobacco and a total of $126 to go towards cigars. I am going to order at least three boxes of cigars this week. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Mike M.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeBrew

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:44 pm

I'll have a package on it's way Friday, if everything goes as planned.
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Gentleman, received a couple of more pm's. A couple more packages for the troops are on the way. It's full steam ahead now. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeBrew

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:16 pm

Mailed the package today, should be 2-3 days.
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Gentleman, I would like to share the kindness of one of our esteemed members here at BOB. I got to go visit my son in Virginia last week and did not get home until last Friday afternoon. Sitting in the living room is a rather large box with UPS labels with some great smells coming from it scratch . My wife is giving me the evil eye No and asking don't you have enough tobacco and what are you ordering stuff for when you promised me you wouldn't make any large pipe/tobacco purchases until the first of the year lol! .

I checked the label and it was from our own Docwatson. I knew from emails that he was shipping a package for the troops. But WOW, I wasn't expecting such a big box. Inside the box for the troops are sixty cigars, two glass humidors and at least forty + pouches of Wessex pipe blends. On behalf of our troops I would like to give him cheers cheers cheers .

I would also like to thank old_salt, tin-man, Doc Manhattan and EJinVA for the packages of pipe tins and pipes received so far. I know that there are several other packages in route. You guys are great. I will try and photograph everything received so far and post a picture on my weekend. I will sending out the first shipment this coming week on my days off. I also have received $76 from members here and another $90 from my fellow inspectors at work. This will go toward cigars and some cob pipes to add to all of the pipe blends, pouches and tins that I've received. The first box will be going to Afghanistan.

Thank you guys again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:32 pm

A good portion of the pipe tobacco was given to me from friends that attended the CORPS banquet several weeks ago. The Tobacco was donated by Altadis and XYZ Direct LTD. When I told the folks that Mike Miller from Brothers of Briar was collecting and sending tobacco to the troops they were more than happy to donate their share. To the point where I couldn't stuff any more in my luggage for the flight home!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
All I can say is that I am more than proud to help our troops enjoy a taste of home. And the person that really deserves a handshake and heartfelt Thank You is Mike himself for giving of his time and effort for such a worthy and important cause.
Many thanks Mike for a job well done.
cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:31 pm

Mike, sending out a package to you today. Priority Mail.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bronxbill

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:55 pm

Package sent today, Priority. Estimated 2-3 days for delivery
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:57 pm

Package going out first thing in the morning. Sorry, I couldn't make it to the post office today.
Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:20 pm

More packages arrived today and it was perfect timing. I was running out of pipes to make up the packets I've been making for the troops which consists of:

• One Pipe

• Four Pouches or Four Ziploc's of Bulk of Pipe Tobacco

• One Tin of Pipe Tobacco

• Fifteen Pipe Cleaners

• One Box of Matches

• One Christmas Card from Brothers of Briar

I am putting in four packets to a box along with a box of cigars and a deck of playing cards along with coffee or tea. I will probably add one 100g tin to each box also for each group to smoke up. I figured to split the boxes up before sending just in case stuff gets lost in the mail. So far I have enough for 5+ boxes. The first two boxes will be on their way to Afghanistan tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of you gentleman who have helped this year. You guys have put in a lot of neat stuff from your cellars along with some great looking pipes. I greatly appreciate it. I'm sure our troops will also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops   Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:48 pm

The first two boxes went out today to Afghanistan. Each box contained four pipe packs with blends, cigars and a deck of cards. I'm putting together more pipe packs and boxes. I have also ordered three boxes of cigars from money donated by this group and $90 donated by my fellow inspectors in Phoenix at USAirways. I have purchased ten cob pipes from Frenchies. All of that stuff should arrive next week.

In each pipe pack I have put in a Christmas postcard that says on the front:

To Our Troops Overseas
Have a Very Merry Christmas
From Brothers of Briar Pipe Club

The back of the card says:

We would like to take this opportunity and thank all of you serving and defending our great country and especially our freedoms. We know it is not much for all of the sacrifices you are suffering from being away from home and family serving in our military but we hope that you will be able to enjoy these cigars, pipes and blends during your down time. May God bless you all and thanks again for everything you are doing. Regards

From your fellow Pipe and Cigar Smokers at Brothers of Briar Pipe Smoking Club
www.brothersofbriar.com

I have contacted Linda Pegg who was in Iraq last year for our care packages. She is now back home in Alabama and working in the Moral Office for the 20th Special Forces Group. She is getting me some addresses (APO) for sending stuff out to those units that are serving overseas. She thanked me once again for what this group of gentleman are doing for our troops serving overseas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

2008 Christmas Care Package for the Troops
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next