HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

serious collectors, roll call

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:01 am

You're taking my recount as an exclusivity of: pipe = rich = sh*tty. Hardly the case.

It's a people thing. Always a select few that can attempt to spoil the bunch. Hate to tell ya this, but even among the vast good percentages of pipe smokers, a few jerks still exist. Largely, they're avoidable. Except in really small places. Laughing

To those sort, their pipes are a vessel to other avenues of need. Not much can be done about bad manners once a kid reaches a certain age. Even if they're 55+. Laughing

For the majority "rest of us," we're just smokin' to enjoy what we have. May our numbers be always strong.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:34 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
You're taking my recount as an exclusivity of:  pipe = rich = sh*tty.   Hardly the case.  
I reacted to what I quoted from you.
Kyle Weiss wrote:

I've been on the impromptu hotseat from douchebag "serious pipe collectors," before.  All it takes is a couple of Golden Ganders with their four-figure pipes to sit next to you when you're smoking a no-name briar or a cob to start picking away at your peace directly, or just talking about how great their brand-name pipe is.    This is from people I sort of know, and I swear, it wasn't me that stuffed the rest of my burrito in the front grille of their car when I left.  
In my years I've never uncounted anything like this before and I an fairly active in the pipe/cigar world. 

Kyle Weiss wrote:
It's a people thing.  Always a select few that can attempt to spoil the bunch.  Hate to tell ya this, but even among the vast good percentages of pipe smokers, a few jerks still exist.   Largely, they're avoidable.  Except in really small places.   Laughing

To those sort, their pipes are a vessel to other avenues of need.  Not much can be done about bad manners once a kid reaches a certain age.  Even if they're 55+.  Laughing

For the majority "rest of us," we're just smokin' to enjoy what we have.   May our numbers be always strong.

Cool
I agree with this. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:57 am

I've seen it here & silently disliked it.

FWIW

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:01 am

I'm with Dave and his experience. Just yesterday, I was at the Richmond show and was able to hang out with an unnamed metro pipe club. Several members have, for me, very big dollar pipes and many of them. We sat around and chatted and smoked for a hour with no judgements on what you bought or were smoking. I love to see their high dollar pipes, but none of these guys come across as arrogant or pompous. This table included some of who I perceive as big deals in the pipe world, but I couldn't been made to feel more welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:00 am

My dealings with the wealthy suggest, re their possessions, not a flaunting, but a need of approval for the expense of the object. It's like, "...am I a sucker for getting this?"  You pat them on the head and offer comfort, saying some equivalent of "There, there, now...it's an awesome piece that anyone would give their eye teeth for, and you are one hell of a man for being able to afford it."

Then there are the others: "That Ferrari has been nothing but a pain in the ass ever since I bought it! It's a POS!"

The image of some owner of briarly exotica lording it over others strikes me as bizarre and hilarious. I'm thinking along the lines of a New Yorker cartoon or something. Any artists in the crowd? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:27 am

Let me answer as a "serious" collector for a moment (most of you know just how serious I'm NOT, but let's play).

One of the things I've noticed is that most of you have no idea what a pipe is supposed to taste like, or how it should smoke. If I allowed you to smoke one of my "brand name" pipes, you'd be amazed at the difference in how it feels, how it smokes, and how it tastes.

The eBay estate crowd has forgotten or never learned that a pipe does not, in fact need to taste like sulphur and rubber, that it isn't one of the delicate underlying flavors in tobacco.

Nor have they learned that a "good smoker" does in fact not require "a couple pipecleaners" during the smoke to keep things dry.

These things are un-necessary, and for the educated smoker rob a good deal of enjoyment from smoking.

All the analogies drawn in this thread are false - no one in their right mind prefers a Toyota to a BMW if they can afford a BMW.

I will analogize further: I just bought a guitar. First one in probably 25 years. I was hoping to find a magic guitar, a real humdinger for under 1000 bucks. And I found some nice ones, some very, very decent guitars (check out Seagull's SWS series!). I looked for months. And then I played a Martin D-28 and bought that immediately at double the cost. Because it sounded better and that's what I was looking for. Does this make me a snob?

Now, I am finished playing Devil's Advocate - I don't really care what the hell anyone wants to smoke. I know what works for me, and one of the things I'm well aware of is that there's a certain crowd of people who think I'm a snob for buying a 250 dollar Peterson, and a whole nother crowd who think I'm an idiot for buying a 250 dollar Pete and not a 400 dollar Dunhill, and a whole nother crowd who think I should have saved up for a S. Bang.

I've never met ANYONE in the pipe smoking world who actually cared much for this issue. I guess if a guy drops 2000 bucks on a pipe, maybe he would be happy if someone else said "Gosh that's a nice pipe." But is that why he did it? In some cases, I suppose.

For myself, having started with cheapo pipes, once I learned about better materials and the better smoking dynamics of certain pipes, I found I enjoyed those more. I don't think that makes me a "serious" collector, it makes me a "serious" smoker, perhaps, or perhaps better put as I'm one of those guys who is constantly seeking the perfect smoke from each pipe (and any pipe that can't or won't yield it up I never smoke again, why bother?). I don't hope this makes me a snob, I don't hope it puts me on some echelon in the pipe world.

I build fences for a living. How snobby can I be? That said, anyone who has never had the good fortune to smoke out of a truly excellent pipe can scarcely comment on the wisdom of doing so, and I think the "serious" collectors feel that rather acutely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Sasquatch wrote:

I will analogize further:  I just bought a guitar.   First one in probably 25 years.   I was hoping to find a magic guitar, a real humdinger for under 1000 bucks.   And I found some nice ones, some very, very decent guitars (check out Seagull's SWS series!).  I looked for months.   And then I played a Martin D-28 and bought that immediately at double the cost.   Because it sounded better and that's what I was looking for.   Does this make me a snob?

Oh no, another Martin snob....<g>
I don't have many regrets in life, not being able to play a quitar is one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:26 pm

I prefer a Toyota to a Rolls-Royce; I know of what I speak, trust me. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Keep tellin' it like it is, Sas !  cheers 

There is a bizarre situation in "collectables." Rare, classic violins by great makers are valued as furniture. Their value depends on their maker, period, beauty and condition. A miraculously near-perfect instrument that sounds like shit is exponentially more valuable than a great concert instrument by the same maker with a lot of restoration work in it.

I suspect the same everything-but-performance mentality holds true with pipes. Not that I've ever had that many noteworthy ones (and I'm not sure that pipes like Dunhills & Winslows even qualify), but I know some people whose judgement I trust who have. Not to annoy the cigar-smoking fish, but Ian was one of them. Walked past Iwan Reese every day on the way from his penthouse to the Chicago commodities trading pit and owned more Danish uberpipes than I have regular ones. In his experience, they smoked no better -- at all -- than his beater Stanwells. PeeDee was on a Danish high end kick for a while, as I recall, and found the Bangs &c. he had even less impressive.

The best balance of value (quality) and price going, IMO, is in SOME contemporary artisan makers. As in, given a choice between 2-3 Lane-era Charatans "bought right" (at what a re-seller would pay for them) or one Sasquatch, I'm going for another S'quatch. Putting it up against a Castello Collection & an A-R Caminetto, his tops them. Not by that much, but it tops them. It's uncanny.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
keen smoke

Registration date : 2012-04-22

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Interesting discussion here.  

I think we can all agree that at a certain price point you can get pretty much phenomenal engineering and functionality in a pipe, then its just down to whether the particular piece briar really sings or not I guess - a game of chance really.  After that price point, you're paying for a variety of things like grain patterns, rarity of materials, hours of work/handcraftmanship, rarity of make/model, age/pedigree/branding, etc etc etc.  If someone is passionate about one or multiple of those things, why would I bother to judge their passion against my own situation?  Similarly, why would I bother to judge in the other direction, down my nose?  I've smoked a wide variety of cheap pipes and mid- to high-grade pipes.  My experience is that most of the time you get what you pay for in terms of smoking quality, though exceptions on both side certainly happen, and beyond that its just about all those other things.

It seems like there is a lot of veiled insult and assumption on whatever a "serious collecter" is, or someone who spends a lot on pipes.  Maybe those aren't the same thing, but implying that those people are sad victims of consumerism or generalizing about them based on varied anecdotal examples is just a form of reverse-sneering against people who you think (or know in some cases) are sneering at your stuff.  Reverse pipe snobbery is just as ugly as pipe snobbery, imo, and I seem to see it a lot here - or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

And as for pipe snobbery in the outside world away from the internets, I've never experienced it in person.  Hanging out at the Chicago pipe show and the B&Ms I've been to, I will chat with people smoking super high grades and others smoking cobs and low grade briars.  Never seen anyone judge, comment, or look sideways in even a remotely snide manner, but perhaps I have been fortunate.  I'm sure it happens, but as long as you're comfortable with what you have and it brings you what you're looking for in the hobby, huzzah.

I'd say I'm pretty serious about my collection, and in terms of other pipe smokers only my father has seen the whole thing.  I like to share some of the things I have with like-minded collectors and discuss them, but I'm certainly not interested in shoving them down throats or pushing any kind of idea that they're better than the other person's stuff.  Personal satisfaction is all I'm really after, any discussion or shared admiration with like-minded collectors is just a nice bonus.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Let me rephrase my post with more direct response to the O.P. intent.

I collect and smoke the pipes I do, and KEEP the pipes I do because they are superior performers, offering easier smoking, better taste, no gurgling, etc than other pipes. I have to like what they look like, but that's fairly flexible, honestly.

Many, many pipes are below par, or rather, par seems to be a pretty low standard for many producers.

So for me, it's not the gold band, the anniversary edition, the perfection of form, scarcity or anything else. IT's the performance, for what I smoke and how I smoke (entirely personal). Everything else is secondary.

But then... maybe I'm not a "serious" collector after all. Just a seeker of perfect smokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:16 pm

keen smoke wrote:
 Personal satisfaction is all I'm really after, any discussion or shared admiration with like-minded collectors is just a nice bonus.

Cheers

And this is another way to say it too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Most serious collectors, at least by my definition of the word, don't openly talk about their collecting. If you are friends, or a confidant, they'll gnaw your ear off, but their collection speaks for itself. They don't draw attention to themselves. It can potentially get in the way of their collecting.

I admire pipes and don't really collect them. It's not a financial or desire thing. There are lots of things in this life I've thought I wanted, and THANK GOODNESS I didn't grab them all. I'd be overrun with stuff. No thank you. I admire beauty and quality, but most of the time, I don't like to make a point of having to own it to continue admiring it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Food for thought : the single most important part of a pipe is the stem.

What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:08 pm

The brain-stem, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:40 pm

The serious-unserious answer to the serious Sasquatch:

Maybe you're full of sh*t, but how would I know what sh*t was?   Laughing

I probably don't know what a pipe is supposed to taste like, but I know what my pipes taste like.  I know what they perform like.   The ones I like, I keep.   The ones that don't pass muster go away.   Ignorance is bliss.   By the fact someone can give or sell me a pipe, and say it smokes great, I may be led by the hand.  Or not.  I've been doing this pipe thing :cough:  "seriously" for over only a couple of years.   I still haven't gotten there?  Cool.  Plenty more road ahead to enjoy, then.

For a fellow seeker of perfect smokes, Sas, cheers to ya, Bro.  cheers  Keep up the fine thoughts and wares.  Very Happy

I begrudge no one of their choice of pipe. I do, however, consider a playful enemy of those who flaunt their gimmicks more than a fella I consider comrade--with natural, simple character when he's found his it's it in a puff of smoke.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:34 pm

I'm own about 55 pipes and I smoke them all. I have GBD, Sasieni, Stanwell, Brebbia, Petersen, db, etc.

I fell in love with Savinelli pipes a while ago and I would have liked to own only Savs. But I won't get rid of any of my old friends, so no chance there.

I bought another Sav today which brings my total up to 12. I think I'm going to stick to one dozen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 am

Savinelli makes some great pipes, I like how mine smoke too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:34 am

The hip response is that all pipes go through a strict quality evaluation, and only the all stars get kept.

But attraction and appeal is a funny thing. A guy will put up with a lot from a woman he really loves that he'd be tempted to roll his eyes at if he were seeing that same sort of thing in his friend's life.

Perspective is everything.

Before there were effective de-tox treatments, I bought (from a friend & mentor I remember every time I see it) an estate pipe that was such a Lakeland Love Canal that I couldn't smoke it for over 30 years. No way was I going to part with it though.

There's another one beside it -- a similarly old estate -- that I'm devoting a ridiculous amount of time and trouble to bringing back into smoking condition after somebody ill-advisedly reamed the cake down to wood, uncovering some nasty cracks & char. It may be salvageable as a smoker. Or not. Either way, I'm still keeping -- and liking -- it though.

Once a pet or a pipe pushes your little button, you don't turn your back to it because of some problem it presents.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Yak wrote:

Once a pet or a pipe pushes your little button, you don't turn your back to it because of some problem it presents.

What a Face
Agreed and I love Love Canal reference = a lost cause!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gnossos

Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:21 pm

I like Castellos and Bonfigliolis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 pm

riff raff wrote:
Yak wrote:

What a Face
Agreed and I love Love Canal reference = a lost cause!
Love canals get guys in trouble a lot. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
riff raff wrote:
Yak wrote:

What a Face
Love canals get guys in trouble a lot.     Laughing 

Cool
That's no maybe!!! Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Let's go back and clean this up.

Quote :
Food for thought : the single most important part of a pipe is the stem.
Sasquatch wrote:
For many of us, though, "value" falls to the wayside the first time we smoke a pipe with a REALLY good stem, and all our other pipes feel like sucking on a garden hose nozzle or something in comparison. Then "value" goes out the window for many of us, or rather, we "value" the tactile experience of a better pipe more than we value, say... having money for retirement (didn't say this was a smart crowd).

I HATE fighting old green stinky vulcanite. I value my time and my taste buds more than that, so for me, battling an old estate pipe is foolish, when for a few bucks more (and it is only a few) I can get an Italian second with lucite, brand new.
What a Face
Back to top Go down
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:14 pm

I consider myself to be a serious pipe smoker, not a serious collector. My goal is to buy pipes that smoke my favorite flakes as well as possible. Towards this end I have found that my favorite pipes are from American artisans like Rad Davis, Bruce Weaver, Brian Ruthenberg and a few others. These pipes never need a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture, they have stems that are designed so well that they are comfortable to clench and they add to the smoking properties of the pipe. My ultimate goal is to have around 30-35 pipes that fit this description as any more than that and some will get ignored. I do not like having pipes in my collection that do not get smoked on a regular basis. I am at 25 pipes in my American artisan collection so I am still looking for more. I buy estate pipes from these makers when the opportunity arises mostly because I have a price threshold I do not go over and many times a new pipe from these makers is over that number. To me a pipe is worth only so much money as I have found over the years, that spending more only gets me grain and looks and I have never been able to smoke grain. I buy mostly sandblasted pipes because of the cost, but will grab a smooth if the price is right.

I think anyone can be a serious collector and it matters not what they are collecting. There is a guy on the web who has an amazing collection of Edwards pipes, they are not expensive pipes but his collection is as serious as it gets. Price is definitely not the determining factor of a serious collector in my mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

serious collectors, roll call
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next