HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

serious collectors, roll call

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:21 pm

cigrmaster wrote:

I think anyone can be a serious collector and it matters not what they are collecting. There is a guy on the web who has an amazing collection of Edwards pipes, they are not expensive pipes but his collection is as serious as it gets. Price is definitely not the determining factor of a serious collector in my mind.
This.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:18 pm

sisyphus wrote:
cigrmaster wrote:

I think anyone can be a serious collector and it matters not what they are collecting. There is a guy on the web who has an amazing collection of Edwards pipes, they are not expensive pipes but his collection is as serious as it gets. Price is definitely not the determining factor of a serious collector in my mind.
This.
Otcpipes is the name of the website and it is run by this fellow: http://www.brothersofbriar.com/u1169

I know another guy who seriously collects Grabows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
mattia76

Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:15 pm

I think you qualify as a Serious Collector if you would make a desperate sortie to grab at least one rack of pipes on your way out the door if your house was on fire.

So yeah, I am.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:04 pm

mattia76 wrote:
I think you qualify as a Serious Collector if you would make a desperate sortie to grab at least one rack of pipes on your way out the door if your house was on fire.

So yeah, I am.
Only ONE! No no, I'm grabbing all of'em, the wife can find her own way out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
mattia76 wrote:

So yeah, I am.
Only ONE! No no, I'm grabbing all of'em, the wife can find her own way out.

lol! 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:47 pm

If you put time and effort into curating your collection so that it reflects your style and taste, then you are a serious collector, no matter how much or how little you spent. And that's nothing to be embarrassed or apologetic about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipe dreamer

Registration date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: pipe collectors   Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Which pipe would you prefer, one where machines go bam, squeeze, grind, finished. Now to the dept to hide any mishaps or flaws?Time 10 minutes, including picking out the cutters.Sometimes they even make pretty nice pipes for most.Or, a great piece of briar that a craftsman, a pipe carver has worked on for days, to guide and coax it to deliver a smoking experience that transports you, the smoker to a place of peace, joy, contentment, that non=pipe smokers will ever know? The question is what are you willing to pay for a pipe? All that time? What is it worth to you?All that time to acquire the knowledge to teach your hands to follow your heart.Whats that worth to you?I bet your time is valuable. isn't it?Now tell me what you want me to make.Think about it,Honestly.Forget people with bad manners.Most pipe carvers I know will try to accommodate you.They have many grades of material they spend good money for, Most of them will make you pipe to the best of their ability no matter which block or stem material you choose.The better the briar is in subtle differences i.e.:grain ,tightness, plateau, ebachon,etc, etc, They pay for that and can't give it away, so it cost more.Simple.The pipe maker,carver, will honestly make you a good pipe.You see when I hear the discussion on collecting pipes I never hear it put correctly.Do you collect factory pipes, or do you collect hand made pipes.Thats the real story.Pick where you want, and stop the bickering.I have both.I bought the best that I could, of both and kept the ones that that made me happy.I make pipes for pipe smokers not for someone to hang on the wall, whatever.But I don't give them away, most of the time,in some cases I guess I do.I don't have these knurled hands because I've had it easy.I have them from countless hours of pipe carving and still wish my work was better.Most pipe carvers just want you to have a pipe you can really enjoy.Most of these carvers have to work at another job so they can carve.I'm lucky,I can do what I want.If they don't sell? Hey want to see a really big collection?Just know, there is no free lunch.Next time you feel slighted and you think you have a good factory, or artisan pipe, just figure the person has bad manners or just likes being a snob.It takes all kinds and we, are all kinds.Enjoy your pipe,celebrate it.The day may come it will not exist.Some very bad things have already happened.So, support your fellow pipe smoker, even if he is an asshole.IMHO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://guildpipesfl.com
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:11 am

Yak wrote:
Food for thought : the single most important part of a pipe is the stem.

What a Face 
Nope!!!

I can smoke a pipe without a stem

You can't smoke a stem without a pipe!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:26 am

I pushed my self to own 12 Savinellis, not really because I wanted that many Sav's. I'm just a sucker for even figures and one dozen looks so nice! (And well, I do love Sav's)!!

Ten days ago I realized that I own 11 bulldogs. Now, eleven is an uneven number in my books. I could not find peace until I've bought another bulldog.

So now I have 1 dozen Sav's and 1 dozen bulldogs.

What's next? Looking at my whole collection and making sure that I have even numbers of all the brands I own !!

I can already tell you that I need another Kirsten (I only have one) and another Falcon (I have three).

Do I qualify as a serious collector? Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:17 am

One with serious problems maybe. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Docsknotinn

Registration date : 2013-11-20

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 am

Harlock999 wrote:
If you put time and effort into curating your collection so that it reflects your style and taste, then you are a serious collector, no matter how much or how little you spent. And that's nothing to be embarrassed or apologetic about.
Well said!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipe dreamer

Registration date : 2010-04-18

PostSubject: Re: serious collectors, roll call   Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:25 am

Yes!because you love what you are doing and this means something to you.You might want to show your collection to others you know,the doctor the nurse,the neighbor,anyone that shows an interest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://guildpipesfl.com

serious collectors, roll call
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3