HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave_In_Philly

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Philly
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:38 am

sisyphus wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

First off, "Dunhill: pipes are NO MORE. Anything made by the former firm of Dunhill after 2010 is now stamped "White Spot" no Dunhill stamping is found on them anywhere.
This is not true. The new nomenclature started in late 2012, and you'll find 2012s with both the old oval Dunhill stamp and the new White Spot stamp. Most 2012s will be the old stamp, with all 2013s having the new nomenclature.
Yup, my 2012 has the traditional Dunhill stamp. And it's a fantastic pipe, one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geoff



Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:47 am

What I can't fathom is why they would remove the Dunhill name/logo when people pay for the Dunhill name for its perceived or actual quality.

Even if they've sold off the line, it still carries the Dunhill name at retail. It just doesn't say Dunhill any more? That is weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Moderator
avatar

Age : 53
Location : South of heaven
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:23 pm

The corporate name Dunhill is owned by LVMH who bought the entire Dunhill line and (I believe) divested itself of the pipe making segment of Dunhill. They have the right to say "You may not use the name Dunhill on those pipes" as they own the name now. It is still unclear to me who actually owns "Alfred Dunhills The White Spot" pipe company now.

_________________
These are horrible times and all sorts of horrible people are prospering, but we must never let this disturb our equanimity or deflect us from our sacred duty to annoy and hinder them at every turn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Porculo



Location : Grand Rapids, MI
Registration date : 2013-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Well, I understand everyone has different tastes, and no problem if you like the new dunhills (or white spot or whatever) - However:

1.- When I pay 400+ for a new pipe, I expect quality control, either for a factory pipe or hand made.
2.- Grain or not, I do not expect pits and fills, there is no excuse for this. Seriously, wouldn't you be embarrased if you were a pipe maker?
3.- I can't trade it, as someone suggested. It was a gift from my wife and, unfortunately, I have to keep it.
4.- For those who think I should not dump a free melon: It was not free, it was a gift from my wife, so I actually kinda paid for it too.

I'm not coming here to dump on the brand just because. I'm speechless by the ethical standards of some companies out there. Think about it, the audacity to charge you that much for, essentially, a basket briar, just because they purchased the name.

For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Thomas Porculo wrote:

For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.
Then don't buy a Dunhill and get a pipe from an artisan maker. Sounds like you have "solved" your problem Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

avatar

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Thomas Porculo wrote:
Well, I understand everyone has different tastes, and no problem if you like the new dunhills (or white spot or whatever) - However:

1.- When I pay 400+ for a new pipe, I expect quality control, either for a factory pipe or hand made.
2.- Grain or not, I do not expect pits and fills, there is no excuse for this. Seriously, wouldn't you be embarrased if you were a pipe maker?
3.- I can't trade it, as someone suggested. It was a gift from my wife and, unfortunately, I have to keep it.
4.- For those who think I should not dump a free melon: It was not free, it was a gift from my wife, so I actually kinda paid for it too.

I'm not coming here to dump on the brand just because. I'm speechless by the ethical standards of some companies out there. Think about it, the audacity to charge you that much for, essentially, a basket briar, just because they purchased the name.

For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.
after adding the above reply to your original post and considering your situation, the only thought I have is that if I ever display this kind of selfish, petulant, ungrateful reaction to a gift given to me by someone who loves me, I hope someone comes up and hits me right in the mouth. With any luck it'll jar me into seeing what a total jerk I am being, and I'll adjust my attitude and rightly be grateful that there is someone who loves me enough to buy me any pipe, much less a Dunhill. That is what I am going to take away from this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Porculo



Location : Grand Rapids, MI
Registration date : 2013-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:31 pm

sisyphus wrote:
Thomas Porculo wrote:
Well, I understand everyone has different tastes, and no problem if you like the new dunhills (or white spot or whatever) - However:

1.- When I pay 400+ for a new pipe, I expect quality control, either for a factory pipe or hand made.
2.- Grain or not, I do not expect pits and fills, there is no excuse for this. Seriously, wouldn't you be embarrased if you were a pipe maker?
3.- I can't trade it, as someone suggested. It was a gift from my wife and, unfortunately, I have to keep it.
4.- For those who think I should not dump a free melon: It was not free, it was a gift from my wife, so I actually kinda paid for it too.

I'm not coming here to dump on the brand just because. I'm speechless by the ethical standards of some companies out there. Think about it, the audacity to charge you that much for, essentially, a basket briar, just because they purchased the name.

For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.
after adding the above reply to your original post and considering your situation, the only thought I have is that if I ever display this kind of selfish, petulant, ungrateful reaction to a gift given to me by someone who loves me, I hope someone comes up and hits me right in the mouth. With any luck it'll jar me into seeing what a total jerk I am being, and I'll adjust my attitude and rightly be grateful that there is someone who loves me enough to buy me any pipe, much less a Dunhill. That is what I am going to take away from this thread.
OK, I figure "fan boys" won't like to hear that Dunhills suck.

Sorry to hear no one loves you enough to buy you even a corn cob pipe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonA3597

avatar

Age : 68
Location : Lawrenceville, GA
Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Brewdude wrote:
This thread will not end well...........
Congrats Brewdude, you called this one early!  cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
Moderator
avatar

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Thomas Porculo wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Thomas Porculo wrote:
Well, I understand everyone has different tastes, and no problem if you like the new dunhills (or white spot or whatever) - However:

1.- When I pay 400+ for a new pipe, I expect quality control, either for a factory pipe or hand made.
2.- Grain or not, I do not expect pits and fills, there is no excuse for this. Seriously, wouldn't you be embarrased if you were a pipe maker?
3.- I can't trade it, as someone suggested. It was a gift from my wife and, unfortunately, I have to keep it.
4.- For those who think I should not dump a free melon: It was not free, it was a gift from my wife, so I actually kinda paid for it too.

I'm not coming here to dump on the brand just because. I'm speechless by the ethical standards of some companies out there. Think about it, the audacity to charge you that much for, essentially, a basket briar, just because they purchased the name.

For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.
after adding the above reply to your original post and considering your situation, the only thought I have is that if I ever display this kind of selfish, petulant, ungrateful reaction to a gift given to me by someone who loves me, I hope someone comes up and hits me right in the mouth. With any luck it'll jar me into seeing what a total jerk I am being, and I'll adjust my attitude and rightly be grateful that there is someone who loves me enough to buy me any pipe, much less a Dunhill. That is what I am going to take away from this thread.
OK, I figure "fan boys" won't like to hear that Dunhills suck.

Sorry to hear no one loves you enough to buy you even a corn cob pipe
C'mon, gents, don't drag the thread over that way....pale 

_________________
Many of the greatest pleasures in life are illegal, immoral, or smelly.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Porculo



Location : Grand Rapids, MI
Registration date : 2013-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 pm

MisterE wrote:
Thomas Porculo wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Thomas Porculo wrote:
Well, I understand everyone has different tastes, and no problem if you like the new dunhills (or white spot or whatever) - However:

1.- When I pay 400+ for a new pipe, I expect quality control, either for a factory pipe or hand made.
2.- Grain or not, I do not expect pits and fills, there is no excuse for this. Seriously, wouldn't you be embarrased if you were a pipe maker?
3.- I can't trade it, as someone suggested. It was a gift from my wife and, unfortunately, I have to keep it.
4.- For those who think I should not dump a free melon: It was not free, it was a gift from my wife, so I actually kinda paid for it too.

I'm not coming here to dump on the brand just because. I'm speechless by the ethical standards of some companies out there. Think about it, the audacity to charge you that much for, essentially, a basket briar, just because they purchased the name.

For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.
after adding the above reply to your original post and considering your situation, the only thought I have is that if I ever display this kind of selfish, petulant, ungrateful reaction to a gift given to me by someone who loves me, I hope someone comes up and hits me right in the mouth. With any luck it'll jar me into seeing what a total jerk I am being, and I'll adjust my attitude and rightly be grateful that there is someone who loves me enough to buy me any pipe, much less a Dunhill. That is what I am going to take away from this thread.
OK, I figure "fan boys" won't like to hear that Dunhills suck.

Sorry to hear no one loves you enough to buy you even a corn cob pipe
C'mon, gents, don't drag the thread over that way....pale 
Well, OK, as long as you attack the argument and not the person, I am more than happy to talk about the pipe, especially when you insult me without knowing a thing about me...

If you have nothing to say about THE ARGUMENT and resort to attacking the person, then you kinda lost respect and shows you have nothing to defend your point.

In this case you don't have to defend Dunhill pipes to anyone because it is all subjective. That response, however, shows that you get something because of the name and know nothing of it.

It also shows you need people to love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:45 pm

MisterE wrote:
Thomas Porculo wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Thomas Porculo wrote:
Well, I understand everyone has different tastes, and no problem if you like the new dunhills (or white spot or whatever) - However:

1.- When I pay 400+ for a new pipe, I expect quality control, either for a factory pipe or hand made.
2.- Grain or not, I do not expect pits and fills, there is no excuse for this. Seriously, wouldn't you be embarrased if you were a pipe maker?
3.- I can't trade it, as someone suggested. It was a gift from my wife and, unfortunately, I have to keep it.
4.- For those who think I should not dump a free melon: It was not free, it was a gift from my wife, so I actually kinda paid for it too.

I'm not coming here to dump on the brand just because. I'm speechless by the ethical standards of some companies out there. Think about it, the audacity to charge you that much for, essentially, a basket briar, just because they purchased the name.

For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.
after adding the above reply to your original post and considering your situation, the only thought I have is that if I ever display this kind of selfish, petulant, ungrateful reaction to a gift given to me by someone who loves me, I hope someone comes up and hits me right in the mouth. With any luck it'll jar me into seeing what a total jerk I am being, and I'll adjust my attitude and rightly be grateful that there is someone who loves me enough to buy me any pipe, much less a Dunhill. That is what I am going to take away from this thread.
OK, I figure "fan boys" won't like to hear that Dunhills suck.

Sorry to hear no one loves you enough to buy you even a corn cob pipe
C'mon, gents, don't drag the thread over that way....pale 

These kind of threads ALWAYS go this way. It's the ONLY way they can. Onward thru the fog Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
keen smoke

avatar

Registration date : 2012-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:22 pm

Thomas Porculo wrote:

Well, OK, as long as you attack the argument and not the person, I am more than happy to talk about the pipe, especially when you insult me without knowing a thing about me...

If you have nothing to say about THE ARGUMENT and resort to attacking the person, then you kinda lost respect and shows you have nothing to defend your point.

In this case you don't have to defend Dunhill pipes to anyone because it is all subjective. That response, however, shows that you get something because of the name and know nothing of it.

It also shows you need people to love you
Ahh, the old "don't attack the person" then turn around to "attack the person" tactic.

Anyway, you came here and stated your opinion.  People disagree with you - how surprising.  

I note that you still haven't shown any pictures of this "basket pipe" quality Dunhill you received.  If you want to put forth the arguments that a) the finish is crap/Dr Grabow quality, b) the grain is mediocre, c) the fit is poor and made by a moron, d) the hole is not centered, and e) there are unacceptable pits and fills (I'm sure I missed some others), then the burden of proof for the claims lie with you - not with us to disprove your claim.  Where is the support of your argument beyond just words?  (You realize I can say the sky is purple but unless you can see it too it probably isn't that convincing, right?)

Btw, I'm not saying you're a liar.  I'd be interested to see the pipe and file it away under good information if your claims are convincing.

For my part, I've only ever see one Dunhill personally that had a fill and it was a Patent-era pipe.  I've also seen patent-era pipes where the drilling wasn't dead center.  Following your logic, therefore all Patent-era Dunhills are all crap?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

avatar

Location : Diocese of Northern Indiana
Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:45 pm

I would be curious to see the pictures as well.

I don't know much at all about Dunhills or Dunhill-like pipes. I don't know much about Graybows either. I am pretty knowledgeable about marriage. I have been married to the same woman for 31+ years. I do marriage counseling.

If my wife had given me this pipe, it would be my new favorite. I would be smoking it right now with enthusiasm since we are both off today and home. It is not perfect and return on investment may be poor. When it comes right down to it, I have some imperfections too, and it is probably better not to bring up the ROI.

I bet it will be a good smoker if you give it a chance. It sounds like other options are off the table.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Bluefisher

avatar

Age : 44
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:

If my wife had given me this pipe, it would be my new favorite. I would be smoking it right now with enthusiasm since we are both off today and home. It is not perfect and return on investment may be poor. When it comes right down to it, I have some imperfections too, and it is probably better not to bring up the ROI.
Hear, hear Fr_Tom! Well said. When something is given in love the value of the object itself become secondary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluefisher

avatar

Age : 44
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Quote :
When something is given in love the value of the object itself become secondary.
Or even, dare I say it, irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geoff



Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:31 pm

I read no petulance in his remarks about how he got the pipe. He seemed quite aware of the situation and considerate of his wife's feeling.

Not wanting to direct any head slapping anywhere. But the author would be at the bottom of any head slapping list I might come up with.

Lets not go overboard over chunks of wood with a couple of holes drilled in them. The best come and go or rotate. Everything cycles.

We've seen similar cycling. Barling is a fine example. Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Porculo



Location : Grand Rapids, MI
Registration date : 2013-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Bluefisher wrote:
Quote :
When something is given in love the value of the object itself become secondary.
Or even, dare I say it, irrelevant.
LOL

OK, I will figure out how to post pictures here and will do so. No later than tomorrow night you will have pictures.

To clarify another topic: My wife has no clue what I think of the pipe. To her knowledge, it is the best pipe in my collection. The gesture is worth a lot, and I would never dare tell her the pipe was junk.

With that said, why can't I have an opinion about the pipe??? If it's junk it's junk. The Queen of England can go in with Obama and the pope and buy me a a Walmart watch made in China. I would be honored to receive such attention from such people, but the item itself is still garbage and no amount of love will change that.

I can make a pipe, with love, out of aluminum foil and give it to you, my love isn't going to make it smoke well, is it?

Ahhhh, love
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
I would be curious to see the pictures as well.

I don't know much at all about Dunhills or Dunhill-like pipes. I don't know much about Graybows either. I am pretty knowledgeable about marriage. I have been married to the same woman for 31+ years. I do marriage counseling.

If my wife had given me this pipe, it would be my new favorite. I would be smoking it right now with enthusiasm since we are both off today and home. It is not perfect and return on investment may be poor. When it comes right down to it, I have some imperfections too, and it is probably better not to bring up the ROI.

I bet it will be a good smoker if you give it a chance. It sounds like other options are off the table.
I've been married for thirty-four years.
She doesn't buy me pipes; I don't buy her jewelry.
We both know better.     Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geoff



Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Hermit wrote:

I've been married for thirty-four years.
She doesn't buy me pipes; I don't buy her jewelry.
We both know better.     Twisted Evil
Hermit, so how long did it take you to figure it out?

I got lucky and got 33 years in the pool.  Had to fight for it though. Very Happy  Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Porculo



Location : Grand Rapids, MI
Registration date : 2013-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Ok, so, I'm looking at instructions on how to post pictures and it looks like I have to create some account with some public hosting site.

Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode [img] tag or appropriate HTML (if allowed).

If I have to spend the pain in the butt time taking the pictures AND creating some account somewhere then I would rather give all the fan boys an apologetic *** (deleted by moderator) and say you are right

Unless there is another way for me to send you a picture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
keen smoke

avatar

Registration date : 2012-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Thomas Porculo wrote:
With that said, why can't I have an opinion about the pipe??? If it's junk it's junk.
You can, and you do!  Just like other people have their opinions.  It's a beautiful thing.

Thomas Porculo wrote:
I would rather give all the fan boys an apologetic ********and say you are right
Why call those who disagree with you fan boys? I thought we wanted to get past that attacking persons thing.  You have no reason to apologize for your original post(s), and no one is saying you're wrong (erm, well, at least I'm not).  But people do disagree with you.  If you led a revolution against Dunhill pipes I'd salute you for standing by your opinions, even if I keep buying those pipes.  Still, if we're going to debate the merits of current production Dunhill pipes it would be good to have more to go on.  I suppose you could have thought you'd post this and just get a couple of "I agree" posts back, and no debate, but I hope not...  :>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

avatar

Location : Diocese of Northern Indiana
Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:45 pm

Thomas Porculo wrote:

Ok, so, I'm looking at instructions on how to post pictures and it looks like I have to create some account with some public hosting site.
There is a built-in thingy for the "post to forum" that lets you upload a picture to be hosted. It takes some head scratching initially because you have to copy/paste the link into the post, and that is not the most intuitive. It seems to work ok though.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t3090-how-to-post-pictures-in-the-forum?highlight=posting+pictures
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Geoff wrote:
Hermit wrote:

I've been married for thirty-four years.
She doesn't buy me pipes; I don't buy her jewelry.
We both know better.     Twisted Evil
Hermit, so how long did it take you to figure it out?

I got lucky and got 33 years in the pool.  Had to fight for it though. Very Happy  Laughing

I knew from the start that I was unqualified to pick out clothing, jewelry, etc.  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 pm

RonA3597 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
This thread will not end well...........
Congrats Brewdude, you called this one early!  cheers
Maybe, but I claim no victory here.

My hope is that all contentious parties can go chill out, have a bowl of their favorite pipe weed in whatever pipe they choose, and continue in the spirit of BoB.

Ooommmm...





Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Idlefellow

avatar

Location : The Kansas Prairie
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk   Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 am

Thomas Porculo wrote:
Unless there is another way for me to send you a picture.
Email it to me and I'll post it.  idlefellow@prodigy.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» GREECE MAY HAVE IT"S CREDIT RATING TO JUNK FROM BBB-

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: